Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-16, 06:11 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / SPDIF issue- help please

SPDIF issue- help please
2017-10-24, 10:46
SPDIF issue- help please
Hi
I have a CD transport feeding via a digital cable to the SPDIF input of a DSM.
The CD transport is the start up source on the DSM.
It all works fine until I stop the CD and when I restart the CD or play another one, no sound comes out!
If I keep the CD playing and put the DSM into standby and restart it, it works.
If I scroll through the inputs instead back to the CD transport SPDIF input it doesn't.
My sense is that the CD transport works fine
It seems to me once the SPDIF source is stopped the DSM stops recognising it for some reason
I had the bright idea of making the CD transport s the start up source but it didn't work
Any ideas?
Many thanks in anticipation
Best wishes
Marvan
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-10-24, 11:05
RE: SPDIF issue- help please
(2017-10-24 10:46)Marvan Wrote:  Hi
It all works fine until I stop the CD and when I restart the CD or play another one, no sound comes out!
If I scroll through the inputs instead back to the CD transport SPDIF input it doesn't.
It seems to me once the SPDIF source is stopped the DSM stops recognising it for some reason
I had the bright idea of making the CD transport s the start up source but it didn't work
Any ideas?
Best wishes
Marvan

Hi Marvan

Sorry to hear you're having this issue with your DSM.

There is a known issue with the SPDIF receiver in our DSM range, which can cause it to fail to lock on to the incoming digital audio stream occasionally. That may be the cause of the issue you are seeing. Changing source and back again should resolve that problem when it occurs.

What DSM model are you using and what version of software are your running on it?

Eamonn

Majik DSM/1 - Akurate 2200 - Akurate 212, Sneaky Music DS - Komponent 104
2017-10-24, 11:56
Hi Eamonn
Thanks for getting back to me
I am fortunate enough to have a KDSM mk3 with software 4.59.185
Scrolling through the inputs doesn't sort it
Any thoughts?
Best wishes
Marvan

(2017-10-24 11:05)eamonnb Wrote:  
(2017-10-24 10:46)Marvan Wrote:  Hi
Any ideas?
Best wishes
Marvan

Hi Marvan

Sorry to hear you're having this issue with your DSM.

There is a known issue with the SPDIF receiver in our DSM range, which can cause it to fail to lock on to the incoming digital audio stream occasionally. That may be the cause of the issue you are seeing. Changing source and back again should resolve that problem when it occurs.

What DSM model are you using and what version of software are your running on it?

Eamonn
2017-10-24, 14:27
I have had a similar problem where a CD would not play and thereafter no CDs would play. I have recently purchased an ADSM and connected a Majik CD via SPDIF. So it seems after spending nearly £6500 it has known defect that can only be resolved by switching inputs?
2017-10-25, 09:16
(2017-10-24 11:56)Marvan Wrote:  Hi Eamonn
Any thoughts?
Best wishes
Marvan

Hi Marvan

When you scroll through the inputs let it settle, on a different source, to make sure that different source has been fully activated, then switch back to your SPDIF input.

When you scroll through the sources, you're merely browsing (not activating), until you let the source view on the front panel time out, at which point the source is activated.

Let me know if you need any more clarification, and whether or not this workaround improves things for you.

Eamonn

2017-10-25, 09:29
(2017-10-24 14:27)gwarminger Wrote:  I have had a similar problem where a CD would not play and thereafter no CDs would play. I have recently purchased an ADSM and connected a Majik CD via SPDIF. So it seems after spending nearly £6500 it has known defect that can only be resolved by switching inputs?

Hi gwarminger

Thanks for your feedback.

Yes, this is a known defect, which we hope to provide a fix for in due course.

I appreciate this may be frustrating for you, especially given the financial value of your product. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience it causes you, and be assured that we will do everything we can to resolve the issue as soon as possible.

Eamonn

2017-10-25, 10:02
Reading my posting it looked as if I was more peeved than I really was. It was a bit confusing when it happened. Most of my CDs are being ripped but I still occasionally play CDs. I could connect to the balanced analogue input (adaptors £9.99 from Maplin). The Majik CD is a damn good player. Thanks for the reply.
2017-10-25, 21:36
(2017-10-25 09:16)eamonnb Wrote:  
(2017-10-24 11:56)Marvan Wrote:  Hi Eamonn
Any thoughts?
Best wishes
Marvan

Hi Marvan

When you scroll through the inputs let it settle, on a different source, to make sure that different source has been fully activated, then switch back to your SPDIF input.

When you scroll through the sources, you're merely browsing (not activating), until you let the source view on the front panel time out, at which point the source is activated.

Let me know if you need any more clarification, and whether or not this workaround improves things for you.

Eamonn

Hi Eamonn
It does work when one scrolls slowly- many thanks
I love my DSM and did get embarrassed when showing it off to one of my buddies who was interested in getting one.
When I had to keep on switching it on and off when I wanted to replay a track we were listening to from my CD transport, he decided to keep his Naim system.
I would do half of my listening through the CD transport
I do find it a little disappointing and frustrating having spent a small fortune on it, and it has this glitch
I am a solutions person rather than a problems person and I would appreciate and early fix to this issue.
I am sure my friend would be impressed if Linn fixed this before he came back round. He likes all the other functionality of the KDSM along with its musicality and quality and I suspect fancies getting one!
Best wishes
Marvan