Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-18, 00:27 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / Streaming query

Streaming query
2017-10-25, 10:21
Streaming query
Morning all. I would like to stream R3 iPlayer from my iMac to my audio system. Having moved the house around, my desktop is not in my listening room any more. I really don't want to run USB cables around the house so I'm wondering if there is any way of connecting the two wirelessly. I have a Teac DAC unit with a USB in, that's what I used when both units were in the same room. I've tried an Airport express but the USB out is only for a printer, no good for audio. Has anyone experienced similar problems or has any suggestions on how to resolve the issue.
There was I thinking all would be simple . . . silly me!
Any help will be gratefully received. Mike

Technics SL1200 with mods, Technics SU-C2000, Linn LK100 x 3, Karik, Kudos to Aktiv Triwired Kabers, Studer, Tascam, Revox R2R, Tascam MD & DAT
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-10-25, 19:06
RE: Streaming query
You could try to connect your airport express' analogue output to your system and select the airport express as audio output on your iMac.

ADSM/0, NAD Masters M22, KEF R700
2017-10-26, 07:18
(2017-10-25 19:06)Hagen2000 Wrote:  You could try to connect your airport express' analogue output to your system and select the airport express as audio output on your iMac.

Tried that but it’s not possible. The USB out on the Airport Express is only viable for connecting a remote printer. It cannot handle audio signals.
Apparently I’m stuffed and will have to run a cable. Hey ho, out with the tools ?

Technics SL1200 with mods, Technics SU-C2000, Linn LK100 x 3, Karik, Kudos to Aktiv Triwired Kabers, Studer, Tascam, Revox R2R, Tascam MD & DAT
2017-10-26, 07:22
(2017-10-26 07:18)Linnovice Wrote:  Apparently I’m stuffed and will have to run a cable. Hey ho, out with the tools ?

You'll not regret it in the long run ... Big Grin

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
2017-10-26, 08:01
(2017-10-26 07:18)Linnovice Wrote:  
(2017-10-25 19:06)Hagen2000 Wrote:  You could try to connect your airport express' analogue output to your system and select the airport express as audio output on your iMac.

Tried that but it’s not possible. The USB out on the Airport Express is only viable for connecting a remote printer. It cannot handle audio signals.
Apparently I’m stuffed and will have to run a cable. Hey ho, out with the tools ?

I was talking about the analogue output of the Airport Express - not the USB port. This way you would use the DAC of the Airport Express and not your own DAC. Will not be the best sounding solution but at least no cable!

ADSM/0, NAD Masters M22, KEF R700
2017-10-26, 16:10
(2017-10-26 08:01)Hagen2000 Wrote:  
(2017-10-26 07:18)Linnovice Wrote:  

I was talking about the analogue output of the Airport Express - not the USB port. This way you would use the DAC of the Airport Express and not your own DAC. Will not be the best sounding solution but at least no cable!

Yes, sorry. I did get that but as I like to stream concerts I have missed I usually dump them down onto tape at the same time so the Airport Express Audio Out would not be up to it.
I have had a doh! moment though. While I’m sitting here with a couple of DAT machines, why not connect one direct to the Mac via a small external DAC? Could do the job.

2017-10-26, 17:41
You know that Linn sells some very nice 'DACs' too? You might enjoy their performance. Smile

Tin can telephone system.
2017-10-27, 07:10
(2017-10-26 17:41)Tin Wrote:  You know that Linn sells some very nice 'DACs' too? You might enjoy their performance. Smile

Hi Tim, yes I do know that but it’s bit of a sledgehammer to crack a very small nut. I think I will finish up going the decent USB cable route. In a way it’s the simplest and probably best quality solution.
There seems to be a vast array of ‘audio’ quality USB cables on the market. Are there any to be recommended or is it just an ad man’s dream?

2017-10-27, 08:52
(2017-10-27 07:10)Linnovice Wrote:  
(2017-10-26 17:41)Tin Wrote:  You know that Linn sells some very nice 'DACs' too? You might enjoy their performance. Smile

Hi Tim, yes I do know that but it’s bit of a sledgehammer to crack a very small nut. I think I will finish up going the decent USB cable route. In a way it’s the simplest and probably best quality solution.
No, not really. They're sledgehammers alright, but they do crack very large nuts. Linn doesn't promote 'Source first' for nothing.
Besides, you get SO for free with them, and removing-your-room-from-the-room is one of the biggest gains you can get, period.

Tin can telephone system.
2017-10-29, 00:55
(2017-10-27 07:10)Linnovice Wrote:  

There seems to be a vast array of ‘audio’ quality USB cables on the market. Are there any to be recommended or is it just an ad man’s dream?

I have a very impressive looking audiophile dual headed USB cable from iFI, it has a seperate PSU too, filters out EMI/RFI & does all manner of other magical things. How much better does it sound than £10 USB cable from Maplin with a couple of ferrite rings? Well I can’t tell the difference when played through my Chord DAC, but it does look the part. If you need a long USB cable then I found a Corning optical one works very well.

FWIW, I used to use TEAC DAC, but upgraded to Chord & very happy with the results. I do room correction with J River Media Centre on my Mac Mini & am delighted with the sound. The TEAC was a nice DAC though especially with DSD.

J River’s DSP or indeed Linn’s excellent Space Optimisation makes far more difference than different USB cables in my experience. You can tune out cable effects if you hear any.

Digital Juke Box & KLP12 into KK/1D+KCT through SD9s
MDSM3 through MG12s