Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-18, 00:21 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / Linn Co-develops Audiophile NAS

Linn Co-develops Audiophile NAS
2017-10-26, 15:53
Linn Co-develops Audiophile NAS
I’ve just read a REVIEW of a Melco “Music Library” in which the author states:

“Buffalo Systems had the foresight to begin working closely with Linn in order to suitably create modified versions of Buffalo’s IT NAS solutions for audio use. Detailed investigations showed that the basic architecture of an IT NAS was not entirely suitable for high-end audio playback. So a new architecture was proposed.”

If this is true, it’s quite an interesting development!

It don't mean a thing (If it ain't got that swing)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-10-26, 16:03
RE: Linn Co-develops Audiophile NAS
Melco is still using off the shelf parts by the look of it, I wouldn't bother until they design a proper product.

Tin can telephone system.
2017-10-26, 16:18
(2017-10-26 16:03)Tin Wrote:  Melco is still using off the shelf parts by the look of it, I wouldn't bother until they design a proper product.

Right or wrong - but the review states :
The N1a/2 has no off the shelf parts apart from its hard drives which are selected for sonic performance

So get your credit card out Big Grin
2017-10-26, 16:34 (This post was last modified: 2017-10-26 16:50 by DavidHB.)
(2017-10-26 16:18)Martin H Wrote:  Right or wrong - but the review states :
The N1a/2 has no off the shelf parts apart from its hard drives which are selected for sonic performance

I have 'heard' the N1A/2 in my system. I suspect that whatever upgrade budget Tin might have would be better spent elsewhere.

And what, when they are at home, are "drives selected for sonic performance"? Is that supposed to mean that they don't rattle? Smile

Two comments on the review. Firstly, it rather reads as though the co-operation with Linn (whatever it is or was) is historical. Perhaps this is a reference to some sort of involvement with OpenHome, which the Melco clearly supports. Secondly, the review (like others I have read) majors on the inbuilt renderer in the Melco, rather than any connection to a separate renderer (which is what interests us here).

I was interested in the information on the the Japanese audio and computer markets, about which I know nothing. If the description is anything like correct, the Melco may well be a sensible package in that market. But I don't need one to use with my Linn system.

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
2017-10-26, 17:11 (This post was last modified: 2017-10-26 17:15 by Tin.)
(2017-10-26 16:18)Martin H Wrote:  
(2017-10-26 16:03)Tin Wrote:  Melco is still using off the shelf parts by the look of it, I wouldn't bother until they design a proper product.

IF the Melco was being custom designed there wouldn't have been running off-the-shelf SATA cables (the red ones) all across the casing. The red cable is even folded together in the middle because its too long. Also, there are spinning disks close to the electronics and those disks look awfully like any other harddrive, including the location of the connectors. It looks a little bit less like a bodged computer than previous iterations, but still, I'm not buying either their story nor their product.

If you'd buy a Raspberry Pi and add an SSD you'd have less cables, less interference and a lot more flexibility for less money. Add a Frewo powersupply and uncle Bob is the relative you never knew you had.

As a side note: I don't even have a creditcard. So whose laughing last? Certainly not me. :/

Tin can telephone system.
2017-10-26, 17:57
(2017-10-26 17:11)Tin Wrote:  

IF the Melco was being custom designed there wouldn't have been running off-the-shelf SATA cables (the red ones) all across the casing. The red cable is even folded together in the middle because its too long. Also, there are spinning disks close to the electronics and those disks look awfully like any other harddrive, including the location of the connectors. It looks a little bit less like a bodged computer than previous iterations, but still, I'm not buying either their story nor their product.

If you'd buy a Raspberry Pi and add an SSD you'd have less cables, less interference and a lot more flexibility for less money. Add a Frewo powersupply and uncle Bob is the relative you never knew you had.

As a side note: I don't even have a creditcard. So whose laughing last? Certainly not me. :/

LOL

I prefer to assess things like this with my ears though not from pictures. Just crazy like that. I also have a credit card - so modern.
2017-10-26, 18:38
(2017-10-26 17:57)Martin H Wrote:  

LOL

I prefer to assess things like this with my ears though not from pictures. Just crazy like that. I also have a credit card - so modern.

Very funny, you crazy Bohemian, you!

2017-10-26, 19:12

LOL

Seeing as my new QNAP HS-251+ sounds better than my old Synology DS214play, my ears may well say the Melco is better still. But probably not as much as the price differential would suggest Wink

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-10-26, 19:18
(2017-10-26 19:12)timster Wrote:  

LOL

Seeing as my new QNAP HS-251+ sounds better than my old Synology DS214play, my ears may well say the Melco is better still. But probably not as much as the price differential would suggest Wink

As you just lashed the cash on that, I would leave any demo alone for a while. Enjoy!
2017-10-27, 07:49

I don’t quite get what you are trying to say here. Don’t all manufactures use “off the shelf parts”? And I don’t know what you mean by a “proper product”.