Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-14, 19:53 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / Linn Co-develops Audiophile NAS

Linn Co-develops Audiophile NAS
2017-11-06, 11:29
RE: Linn Co-develops Audiophile NAS
(2017-11-06 11:15)Donald Wrote:  
(2017-11-06 07:24)Tin Wrote:  It will fluctuate during the day; it lowers when the sun is shining into the loving room, heating the floor and it rises when I'm cooking.

Never heard it called that before - please don't Post details of your Listening Position.
Well, as I already mentioned heating the floor, rising and cooking, I have no details left, except the pictures of course.

Tin can telephone system.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-11-06, 11:52
(2017-11-06 00:17)BB1 Wrote:  
(2017-11-05 13:47)fredbatch Wrote:  And, QED, denser air absorbs more HF acoustic energy.

I beg do differ. As Table 1 indicates, the attenuation at 20 °C is lower at 10 % relative humidity than it is at 20 %.

Oh dear, what have I started?

Interesting document, however the table you cite indicates a downward trend for sound attenuation with increasing humidity, as per my contention, which is itself based on various other papers and references from a variety of sources which all demonstrate the same thing.

The whole point of my original, somewhat sideways barb was to indicate that there are other, more genuine phenomena that qualitatively affect what we hear (cf. NAS drives, etc.), yet still remain insignificant for all practical purposes.

Definitely time to bail out of this one…
2017-11-06, 11:59
(2017-11-06 11:52)fredbatch Wrote:  
(2017-11-06 00:17)BB1 Wrote:  
(2017-11-05 13:47)fredbatch Wrote:  And, QED, denser air absorbs more HF acoustic energy.

I beg do differ. As Table 1 indicates, the attenuation at 20 °C is lower at 10 % relative humidity than it is at 20 %.

Oh dear, what have I started?

Interesting document, however the table you cite indicates a downward trend for sound attenuation with increasing humidity, as per my contention, which is itself based on various other papers and references from a variety of sources which all demonstrate the same thing.

The whole point of my original, somewhat sideways barb was to indicate that there are other, more genuine phenomena that qualitatively affect what we hear (cf. NAS drives, etc.), yet still remain insignificant for all practical purposes.

Definitely time to bail out of this one…
May I suggest making a sex related typo? That seems to do the trick for me.
Always rises to the occasion and never lets me down. It isn't even hard to do.

Tin can telephone system.
2017-11-06, 22:11 (This post was last modified: 2017-11-06 22:12 by Wat.)
(2017-11-06 11:52)fredbatch Wrote:  ... there are other, more genuine phenomena that qualitatively affect what we hear (cf. NAS drives, etc.), yet still remain insignificant for all practical purposes ...

Agree totally. The environment including furnishing, air humidity & temperature will have more influence on enjoyment of listening to music than make of NAS, Hard Disk, Ethernet or other digital cables, switches or routers or indeed lossless file format. As long as one uses well made products then relatively inexpensive ones provide at least as good sound quality as expensive boutique ones. I would extend that to analogue cables where I have found Linn silvers supplied with my kit to work perfectly.

I prefer Mac Mini to NASs because of choice of software. I cannot see any advantage a dedicated NAS would give me, but I’d emphasise if a QNAP runs your preferred software then it is as good as it gets (IMO of course).

Digital Juke Box & KLP12 into KK/1D+KCT through SD9s
MDSM3 through MG12s