Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-04-26, 16:04 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / Linn Co-develops Audiophile NAS

Linn Co-develops Audiophile NAS
2017-10-28, 20:46
RE: Linn Co-develops Audiophile NAS
For me it was worth the money

I spend 2000 €, because the Melco outperformed my QNAP NAS, and my special designed Audio NAS (Unix, SSD, linear power supply , etc) which outperforms the QNAP. My friends who listen share my point of view - it is worth the money (in my setup)

I also invest in MeiCord Cables (German vendor of Ethernet Cables), another 200 € for 2 Ethernet Cables. Yes it is a lot of money for a Cat 5 Cable, but ....

And I also invest in a special linear powersupply for my switch which connects Melco to Klimax Streamer

Why - within my setup it is very audible. Whatever the reason might be. And true, it might be not audible in other setups, so what - this happens all the time with accessories

Everybody has to check for himself, but thats also nothing new.

FunkMan
(all Exakt Klimax gear but russia phono tube)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-10-28, 21:02
(2017-10-28 19:33)timster Wrote:  I think it is safe to aver that the context is mostly the person.

It is probably safe to aver thus; you are unlikely to be harmed for so doing. Whether it is actually correct to take this view is a matter of opinion. Smile

For myself, I would tend to think that the 'context' for present purposes is the whole system in which the "audiophile NAS" is installed - not just the items of equipment but also the connectors and any relevant ancillaries, as well as the environment in which the system is housed and used. But then I regard the listener as the key (and also the most variable and unreliable) component of any audio system, so to that extent I agree with you.

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10/1 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
2017-10-28, 23:57
(2017-10-27 10:37)Donald Wrote:  " ... working closely with Linn ..."

Until we here something official from Linn I think it's safe to assume that this is marketing hyperbole!

Last time I looked, Linn were using a Mac Mini as a NAS at the Factory along with standard Cat 6 cabling - to quote Ian Wilkinson "Just saying"!

I also use Mac Mini for NAS duties. I heard no advantage at all from a Melco. However, if folk try it & can hear an improvement then it makes sense to buy it. As I much prefer the Mac Mini then more than happy to stay with it. I am surprised some folk prefer the Melco, but we are all different with our preferences.

JR-MC23->Blu-DAVE & K-LP12SE wired with Linn Silvers into KK/1D+KCT through SD9s
MDSM3 through MG12s
2017-10-29, 00:15
(2017-10-26 15:53)spannko Wrote:  I’ve just read a REVIEW of a Melco “Music Library” in which the author states:

“Buffalo Systems had the foresight to begin working closely with Linn in order to suitably create modified versions of Buffalo’s IT NAS solutions for audio use. Detailed investigations showed that the basic architecture of an IT NAS was not entirely suitable for high-end audio playback. So a new architecture was proposed.”

If this is true, it’s quite an interesting development!

Are they simply saying Melco audiophile NAS is better than Buffalo’s IT NAS solutions. In other words they would not recommend a Buffalo IT NAS: read that way it seems reasonable.

If they are claiming it is better than Mac Mini - the comparison I heard - then I disagree, using Linn DS I could hear no difference (Mac was much nicer to use), with my DAC (irrelevant to DS users) the Mac Mini was clearly superior because J River can apply DSP in a way Melco can’t.

Sorry I am cynical when it comes to sales & marketting. However, if somebody tries & prefers Melco fair enough.

JR-MC23->Blu-DAVE & K-LP12SE wired with Linn Silvers into KK/1D+KCT through SD9s
MDSM3 through MG12s
2017-10-29, 03:31
(2017-10-28 17:28)DavidHB Wrote:  
(2017-10-28 16:28)spannko Wrote:  
(2017-10-28 12:56)DavidHB Wrote:  I hope we can now put to bed any thought that we are going to see some kind of new product jointly developed by Melco/Buffalo and Linn. Nothing is impossible, of course, but you have to stretch what little evidence there is very thin indeed to come to that conclusion.
I honestly don’t understand why anyone would want to put this story to bed so soon. The (prima facie) evidence suggests that Linn have already co-developed an audiophile NAS with Melco/Buffalo, and if it’s true, I think it’s is a very significant development.

But the evidence is paper-thin (and it is by no means clear that the reviewer fully understood what he was told about Linn's involvement). Given what we know about Linn's products and stated intentions (which certainly do not include an 'audiophile NAS'), what makes you think otherwise?

David

There is absolutely no evidence to support the idea that “the evidence is paper thin”. Similarly, we’re not in any position to comment on whether the reviewer “understood what he was told” or not.

We have absolutely no idea what Linns product development roadmap is: they keep their cards very close to their chest! As far as I’m aware, Linn have never given any advance notice of any new products or technologies, so silence on their part can’t be construed as any type of design or development inactivity.

It don't mean a thing (If it ain't got that swing)
2017-10-29, 09:08
Spannko: Why are you so troubled by people who have issues with the false claims that Melco make?

You like the product, so good for you.
I hate their lies, so good for me.

MikeSpragg has desected one of their devices and the internals are just a small PC, but so would be a Mac Mini if you'd open it up. The review of their newest interpretation states, in the first post, that Melco claims there are no off the shelf parts. In the picture I can distinguish some, the folded SATA cable being the most obvious.
Worst case situation is that you could have found a cheaper solution for a genuine problem in your house. Everybody does that sometimes.

I recently paid €375 for a 10 year old REL subwoofer and I'm genuinly worried that I could have bought a cheaper BK one for new. Funny thing is that I have been one the main promotors of BK subs on these forums, yet I worry if they'd play nice combined with my other RELs.

Tin can telephone system.
2017-10-29, 09:44 (This post was last modified: 2017-10-29 09:49 by spannko.)
(2017-10-29 09:08)Tin Wrote:  Spannko: Why are you so troubled by people who have issues with the false claims that Melco make?

You like the product, so good for you.
I hate their lies, so good for me.

MikeSpragg has desected one of their devices and the internals are just a small PC, but so would be a Mac Mini if you'd open it up. The review of their newest interpretation states, in the first post, that Melco claims there are no off the shelf parts. In the picture I can distinguish some, the folded SATA cable being the most obvious.
Worst case situation is that you could have found a cheaper solution for a genuine problem in your house. Everybody does that sometimes.

I recently paid €375 for a 10 year old REL subwoofer and I'm genuinly worried that I could have bought a cheaper BK one for new. Funny thing is that I have been one the main promotors of BK subs on these forums, yet I worry if they'd play nice combined with my other RELs.

You are falsely claiming that I am troubled by people who have issues with Melco’s alleged “false claims”.

It don't mean a thing (If it ain't got that swing)
2017-10-29, 10:42
(2017-10-29 03:31)spannko Wrote:  There is absolutely no evidence to support the idea that “the evidence is paper thin”.

There doesn't need to be (in fact, successive steps down that path lead the discussion into absurdity). The evidence, such as it is, declares its thin-ness for itself.

(2017-10-29 03:31)spannko Wrote:  Similarly, we’re not in any position to comment on whether the reviewer “understood what he was told” or not.

How so? We can take the information in the article, compare it with Linn's past and present actions and public statements, and form a view as to whether the statement relates to anything we recognise. If we conclude that it doesn't, or that the case is doubtful, we need to look elsewhere for corroboration of the statement. So far as I am aware, none has been forthcoming.

(2017-10-29 03:31)spannko Wrote:  We have absolutely no idea what Linns product development roadmap is: they keep their cards very close to their chest! As far as I’m aware, Linn have never given any advance notice of any new products or technologies, so silence on their part can’t be construed as any type of design or development inactivity.

We do know some things and can reasonably infer others, but, I grant you, nothing that helps us in this particular instance. And I'm not going to fall into the trap of arguing that absence of evidence is evidence of absence. But it is a fact that Linn, who notoriously like to produce end-to-end audio systems, have not, in all the time since 2007 and the original DS, released any form of network-based music store to complement the range of streaming products. It is possible, but I think you would agree implausible, that this is not the result of a deliberate decision; more likely, it reflects deliberate policy. Given that Linn can be so determined (some would say pig-headed) about sticking to their established policies, I'd want to have much better evidence than we have so far seen to be convinced that their apparent policy has changed.

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10/1 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
2017-10-29, 11:02
(2017-10-29 09:44)spannko Wrote:  You are falsely claiming that I am troubled by people who have issues with Melco’s alleged “false claims”.
Hmm, you're now handing me a smokin' gun saying you never touched it. Big Grin

There ain't no such thing as an Audiophile SSD or harddrive, and a folded SATA cable is an off-the-shelf part.
Which of the above is 'alleged' in your opinion?

Tin can telephone system.
2017-10-29, 13:00
Getting back to the original post...

I’ve read the review, to which it links, a couple of times and don’t read any inference that Linn has co-developed anything with Buffalo/Melco!

Reading the paragraph in question in isolation, it is a little misleading, but reading it in context of what precedes it, the phrase “begin working closely with” could easily be interpreted as “consulted with”. The objective being to understand the requirements of a NAS type product which could be connected to a (new to the market) streamer type device with minimal input (or networking knowledge) from the end-user. Who best to consult with than one of the manufacturers developing the streamer market in Japan.

The very fact that no one from Linn has chipped in and said “guilty as charged guys. You’ve spotted what our latest product range will be” speaks volumes as far as I’m concerned. The thread title is misleading and should be corrected, or, at least, explained.

As far as the debate of whether a Melco is any better than a QNAP NAS, for instance, hasn’t this already been done to death guys?

‘troll