Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-14, 19:41 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / I want to start streaming but don't know were to start.

I want to start streaming but don't know were to start.
2017-10-31, 22:21
RE: I want to start streaming but don't know were to start.
Mmmm.
I read about SPACE Optimisation now and all the reviews are (very) positive.
We don't have treble and bass controle on the amps anymore but this is ok now?

Honestly, everyone is so positive about it, it must be good.

Is it woth the extra money I want to spend?
It won't be a starters budget anymore.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-10-31, 22:29
(2017-10-31 22:21)R-Know Wrote:  Mmmm.

Sorry, but yes.

With SO you can tweak and make any room mode disappear, so effectively you remove your room from your room, leaving you with the studio or recording venue, which is exactly where you want to be.

Get yourself a demo.
The downside, SO is a bit tricky to get right but there is plenty of help on these forums.

Tin can telephone system.
2017-11-01, 00:34
Hi R-Know,

Unless I am mistaken, you have almost all of the components in place for a Linn streaming system.

The Synology NAS to store your music. You could rip your CD's from a pc / laptop to the Synology with no further expenditure, although I would recommend a few $ for a copy of dbPoweramp ripping program.

I would forget about Space Optimization for the minute. It is very good, but may be confusing at this point in time. It will be the icing on the cake.

Let's just get you up and running for now.

With regards to the Linn streamer, only you know your budget. Simply buy the best one available for that price.

Klimax EDSM \2 x Akurate Exaktbox 6 \ 2 x Akurate 4200/1 \ KCT/D \ Akubariks

www.kantata-audio.co.uk

www.facebook.com/kantataaudio
2017-11-01, 07:00 (This post was last modified: 2017-11-01 07:00 by timster.)
(2017-10-31 22:21)R-Know Wrote:  Mmmm.

Space comes free with any Linn network player, so it depends on whether you want Linn or not. Don't make the mistake of thinking you are spending money for Space alone. It is a bonus, but if you don't like the sound of Linn in the first place (and some don't for some unknown reason Wink) Space wont fix that. It'll just make it a better Linn sound.

Also, Space isn't a tone control. Some use it as such (particularly the bass and treble shelves) but it's prime purpose is to correct for the effects of the room on the pure original sound, rather than correct the sound for the room or personal preference (if you see what I mean).

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-11-03, 12:01
I'm sure I want a Linn!
My 'problem' is: which one?
Reading this topic back again I start changing from an older used one to a new streamer.
It has to do with €€€ but now it seems a new one sound so much better and it has space.

With tone control I meant it is an extra disturbtion in the sound system, not natural.
Now sudenly it is alowed to have NASA gear in our audio equipment?
I don't have problems with it myself but I never expected this from Linn.
2017-11-03, 12:09
(2017-11-03 12:01)R-Know Wrote:  I'm sure I want a Linn!
My 'problem' is: which one?
Reading this topic back again I start changing from an older used one to a new streamer.
It has to do with €€€ but now it seems a new one sound so much better and it has space.

With tone control I meant it is an extra disturbtion in the sound system, not natural.
Now sudenly it is alowed to have NASA gear in our audio equipment?
I don't have problems with it myself but I never expected this from Linn.

All Linn streamers (DS/DSM) have Space, old or new.
It is exactly what one would expect from Linn. As an engineering company they always push the boundaries and develop new technologies. Space is just one of them. And please don't keep mixing it up with tone control or "extra disturbance" - it is quite the opposite. It removes unwanted "extra disturbances" created by the room and the speakers' interaction with it. So it becomes more natural/authentic to the original performance, not less so., and closer to the ideal of what HiFi is supposed to do - reproduce the original music.

Hello to Jason Isaacs
2017-11-04, 11:52
(2017-10-29 19:52)Wiltshireman Wrote:  Hi Arno,
You sound just like me only a few months ago. Indeed we are quite alike but I am a few years your senior and I know virtually nothing and indeed had to get some help on this forum but now I know its not a very difficult thing to master. But I do realise it does frighten us 'oldies' and that its very easy for someone to say 'if I can do it anyone can' but in reality its not that hard once we get into it. One thing for sure its the best thing you can do, apart from the record playing side of your system. I kept my expenses at a minimum and bought a second hand Majik DS but a brand new Inneos combined CD ripper and storage unit. It cost me about £1500 all in so not that cheap but worth every penny. It walks all over my cd player and the Space thing is absolutely amazing. Any problems can be answered here on the forum and if you get an Inneos it really is easy once you realise what it does. I can certainly help you with that one. Good luck whatever you buy.

Can you explain the reason why you bought an Inneos instead of working with the pc and dBpoweramp?
2017-11-04, 12:27 (This post was last modified: 2017-11-04 12:28 by Tin.)
Timster is correct, SPACE is designed to very specifically subtract a roommode from the signal so the net effect is that your ears end up with an undisturbed signal. This is not comparable with oldfashioned tone controls or loudness buttons.

I think Linn came up with it because they figured they could control the signal in the digital domain in real time. The algorithmes Linn uses voor SO in the digital domain are quite common but the real-time usage on audio signals is quite something.
Digital volume control is interesting enough, but manipulating small frequency bands is already quite spectacular. And what they're doing with Exakt is very special indeed, manipulating the phase per frequency so they can have digital crossovers that adapt to driver characteristics.
I guess they had the idea a long time ago and had to wait for computing power to catch up.

There is no specific advantage of having an Inneos instead of a PC, I think it just fitted Wiltshiremans situation better as he wasn't feeling confident around computers.

Tin can telephone system.
2017-11-04, 12:50 (This post was last modified: 2017-11-04 12:50 by timster.)
The main difference with the Innuos and other NAS-rippers of it's kind (like the Naim Core) is that it's very much a plug and play device. Stick a CD in, it automatically rips it and adds it to the library ready to stream. Especially useful for the novice with a large CD library as there's no further user intervention required.
In theory.
As Willshireman found out, the ripping can go awry if the database it uses has holes in, and/or album art is hard to find. But that can be easily rectified with a tag editor if needs be.
Main drawback is also that you're tied in to how the Innuos (or Naim) manages and organises it's library as they have built in servers and software. No 3rd party ones can be used for either as far as I know.
So you makes your choice and takes your pick Wink

Hello to Jason Isaacs
2017-11-04, 14:47
Tin and Timster,

Thanks again.
Helps again.
I don't want to rip all my cd's. Only the ones I will listen to. Not 20% (?) of them all.