Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-14, 21:58 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / I want to start streaming but don't know were to start.

I want to start streaming but don't know were to start.
2017-11-04, 14:55
RE: I want to start streaming but don't know were to start.
(2017-11-04 14:47)R-Know Wrote:  Tin and Timster,

Thanks again.
Helps again.
I don't want to rip all my cd's. Only the ones I will listen to. Not 20% (?) of them all.

And you already have a NAS.
So, dBPoweramp CD Ripper on your PC is all you need really. The synology has a built in music server to start you off too.

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-11-04, 16:58
Today it is terrible weather in the Netherlands, at my area it is, so a good day to make a start.
I've installed dBPoweramp and started ripping my own cd's.
Flac, best quality, all straight to the Synology.
This goes fast!
It takes its info from the net and it looks all very nice. Except for naming the files. I want a complete cd in a folder called: artist - album. This I have to find out, I've tried to work in the settings but I couldn't change it.
When I play the files on the medi8er there is an front picture in the folder but not attached to the file.
I think I need to check a box somewhere?
The sounding is better than I hoped for.
Can't wait to have a serious player.
Plans for now: an Akurate?
Find all posts by this user
2017-11-04, 18:00 (This post was last modified: 2017-11-04 18:01 by timster.)
(2017-11-04 16:58)R-Know Wrote:  Today it is terrible weather in the Netherlands, at my area it is, so a good day to make a start.
This goes fast!
It takes its info from the net and it looks all very nice. Except for naming the files. I want a complete cd in a folder called: artist - album. This I have to find out, I've tried to work in the settings but I couldn't change it.
When I play the files on the medi8er there is an front picture in the folder but not attached to the file.

Make sure in dBPoweramp options you have ripping method set to Secure, and within that's settings check "Enable ultra secure ripping", and also select AccurateRip.
For album art, again in Options, click the Meta Data & ID Tag Options, and make sure Album Art is selected in "Write ID Tags" (pretty sure that's set by default anyway), but you may need to Review Metadata and/or manually add the album art.

For file naming, the following in "Naming" bottom left, will put them in a folder called artist/album/ (which is the most common way) and if a compilation in a folder called Various Artists/album/
Code:
[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][]\[album]\[track] - [title]

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-11-04, 18:04
(2017-11-04 16:58)R-Know Wrote:  Today it is terrible weather in the Netherlands, at my area it is, so a good day to make a start.
This goes fast!

Hi R-Know,

I hope I understand your problem correctly and also that this can help... in dbpoweramp, select your encoder and hit the settings button. This is where you can enter the naming of your folders. See picture below: you then need to set to dynamic folder and decide how you want your folders to look.

And then definitely go for an Akurate DS with the Dynamik power supply. I bought mine second hand and when I compared to Majik, the jump in quality was definitely worthwhile. And Linn supports the older products with all the software updates including Space Optimization. You will not regret.

ADS/0D - MK - A4200 - Aktiv Keilidh - Sizmik
2017-11-04, 19:50
Thank you both!!
It seems to work fine now.

What a lot of info for not common cd's is picked up automaticly. Love it.
2017-11-04, 21:35 (This post was last modified: 2017-11-04 21:36 by Tin.)
The only question left really is DS or DSM.
I have no idea how your Classe compares to an ADSM, but to me personally I would want to have SO on my turntable as well. But I know a lot of LP12 owners prefer to keep their chain analogue, and as I don't even have a turntable.. well, what do I know really?

I really suggest you go to listen to a setup with and without SO and see for yourself. It really is an important choice, but it is yours to make.
As my setup was SO-ed by Paulssurround I think my setup may be the best example in the Netherlands (Fun fact: it probably really is, how cool is that?) , but a good dealer should be able to give a decent demonstration as well.

Tin can telephone system.
2017-11-05, 00:01
HI Arno, my brother in law had bought a Zoneripper which is very like the Inneos and I liked what I saw as I really didn't want to have to connect my laptop every time I wanted to rip a cd. I had to go down to darkest Dorset to pick up my secondhand Magik DS from Krescendo Hifi and thought as I was so close I would pop into Stone Audio that is near Poole infact where I had first heard an all Linn DS system. They used to sell the Zoneripper but had changed over to the Inneos and after a chat I decided to go with it.

For me the ease of just having a dedicated ripper/storage unit over a Qnas and having to plug in my laptop and a separate cd drive is far less hassle and far easier on the eye and not really much more expensive. I have had to fit a separate backup memory unit that cost me another £100 but all I have spent about £1600 all in and have a far better sound than I could have ever imagined. Must just add that my B in l is not very impressed with his Zoneripper and now wishes he had bought an Inneos. Now I am familiar with it I am really glad I did things this way.

Must just add that even though I am over the moon with my new source my LP12 still walks all over the DS and thats with the SO switched in and none of course with the LP12. The other bonus of a DS is the free radio programs you get especially the 3 from Linn themselves. None of that comes with a CD player!

Linn Majik DS, Inneos 1 TB CD ripper, LP12, Ittok, Lingo3, Circus, Tranquility, Denon 309 MC, Lehman black signature phono, Exotik pre amp, x6 LK100 power amps, Kudos Tuner, Keltic Aktiv speakers, Ikea rack, Cadenzas on phono, Cadenzas and Linn silvers connect the 6 amps, Chord Odyssey II cables.
2017-11-05, 00:21
Till now I want to rip with the pc. Not a problem so far, works fine and fast. To me not worth the investment to buy a ripper. Yet.
Just like Tin mentioned, you don't like SO with the LP12. I forget about SO, something for later.
The first thing I need is the streamer itself.
Keep my eyes open for a Akurate DS1. The newest is to pricy at this moment.
2017-11-05, 09:09
Most people here just use a PC.

You can check the LeJonklou forums and hifishark.com to broaden your search.
Remember, if it looks to good to be true, it probably is.

When you buy from an EU dealer, the 14 day return policy is valid EU wide, don't forget to mention that when you're contacting dealers/traders. Transport through the EU is very cheap, so it is really worth expanding your horizon.

Tin can telephone system.
2017-11-05, 09:36
(2017-11-04 21:35)Tin Wrote:  ... I would want to have SO on my turntable as well. But I know a lot of LP12 owners prefer to keep their chain analogue ...

I keep my LP12 chain analogue. I tried using Majik DSM as a pre with SO, but went back to KK analogue. Started thinking if I put LP12 through DSM then it digitalises the analogue source, in effect ripping vinyl records on the fly. So I thought why not just digitalise them permanently & play the files. Then I thought why not just get the CDs or HI-Res version. And then I thought I didn’t get where I am today by thinking.

In the end I just put on some Van der Graaf Generator & everything sounded fine. If only I could turn down the bass on my Klimax Kontrol just a little ...still I have a plan .. does anybody here remember tone controls, well I’ve heard they making a slight return. It’s the work of Loki.

Digital Juke Box & KLP12 into KK/1D+KCT through SD9s
MDSM3 through MG12s