Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-16, 06:09 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / I want to start streaming but don't know were to start.

I want to start streaming but don't know were to start.
2017-11-05, 09:38
RE: I want to start streaming but don't know were to start.
Hello Arno,

Where in Netherlands di you live? I’m in the region Den Bosch.
You are welcome for a visit to a fellow Linn - enthousiast.

Willem

Akurate DS/1 > Klimax Kontrol/1/D > Klimax Chakra Twin/D > Akurate 242's MkI (alas, no updated stands...)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-11-05, 09:52
(2017-11-05 09:36)Wat Wrote:  
(2017-11-04 21:35)Tin Wrote:  ... I would want to have SO on my turntable as well. But I know a lot of LP12 owners prefer to keep their chain analogue ...

I keep my LP12 chain analogue. I tried using Majik DSM as a pre with SO, but went back to KK analogue. Started thinking if I put LP12 through DSM then it digitalises the analogue source, in effect ripping vinyl records on the fly. So I thought why not just digitalise them permanently & play the files. Then I thought why not just get the CDs or HI-Res version. And then I thought I didn’t get where I am today by thinking.

In the end I just put on some Van der Graaf Generator & everything sounded fine. If only I could turn down the bass on my Klimax Kontrol just a little ...still I have a plan .. does anybody here remember tone controls, well I’ve heard they making a slight return. It’s the work of Loki.
Comparing an MDSM with a KK seems a bit unfair, but I can appreciate your -feelings- for the rest.

Most albums you can buy these days have been recorded digitally, so modern vinyl hardly counts as an analogue source, but rather as an analogue medium.
And as even 'analogue' tapes and vinyl have a minimal grainsize the term analogue is stretching the truth anyway.
The real questions are about the minimal necessary grainsize/bitrate and the quality of the DA conversion. It seems that with Katalyst Linn has been able to close that gap between 'analogue' and 'digital', and in 10 years time the whole discussion is a thing of the past.
Hopefully someone will have conquered loudness wars as well by that time.

Tin can telephone system.
2017-11-05, 12:35 (This post was last modified: 2017-11-05 12:41 by Wat.)
Question RE: I want to start streaming but don't know were to start.
Agreed: I compared MSDM with KK as they’re boxes I use. KDSM would be extravagant, although very very nice, for 2nd system. Although I use a non-Linn digital front end (no network in replay chain) with my KK, it can sound as good as my LP12: it very much depends on quality of recording. I use MSDM as recommended by Linn & that sounds superb too. I think itis posdible to achieve excellent results with various configurations & without using boutique cables or audiophile NASs Big Grin

Digital Juke Box & KLP12 into KK/1D+KCT through SD9s
MDSM3 through MG12s
2017-11-05, 13:23 (This post was last modified: 2017-11-05 13:24 by mackhm.)
(2017-11-05 00:21)R-Know Wrote:  Till now I want to rip with the pc. Not a problem so far, works fine and fast. To me not worth the investment to buy a ripper. Yet.
Just like Tin mentioned, you don't like SO with the LP12. I forget about SO, something for later.
The first thing I need is the streamer itself.
Keep my eyes open for a Akurate DS1. The newest is to pricy at this moment.

I think the Akurate DS/1 will be your best bet. To my ears, it sounds very much better than the Majik, and in my opinion will be much more suited to your system. The DS/1 will have the Dynamik power supply which is a very worthwhile upgrade (the DS/0 will not have the dynamic unless it has been sent back to Linn to be upgraded), and if the differences between the Akurate DS/0 and DS/1 are similar to the ones I heard when comparing the Klimax DS/0 and DS/1, then it will be well worth the wait when you find one.

I would also suggest that you don't worry about SO until you have got your streaming setup working well. I may be in the minority, but I found that SO actually detracted from the sound of my system when I tried it. However, this may well be because although my speakers are included in Linn's list of speakers for SO, they have not been individually measured by Linn. I believe that your speakers have been, and so you may find that the optimisation does work for you. However, I would be inclined to keep your Classe pre-amp and go for the less expensive DS/1 rather than spend more money on an Akurate DSM unless you can find a way of arranging a demo and comparing the two setups.

Good luck.

Main: Michell Orbe/Tecnoarm/Dynavector DV20X2;Trigon Advance; Linn Klimax DS/1; Lindemann 830S; Lindemann 858; Magnepan 3.6R; TQ UB; Synology DS216+II
AV: Sonore microRendu/Teddy Pardo 7v PS/Gustard U12/Hugo DAC; Krell Showcase Pre/Pwr; Ruark Solstice/Prologue/Dialogue/REL Storm II
2017-11-18, 15:52
I think I totally agree with you.
Keeping my eyes open till I find a Akurate DS/1. I'm also considering a Renew 1.

I'm very busy to rip all my cd's.
Now I understand why to make a backup of them ass well.
Ripping goes very fast, most of the cd's but all together it takes a lot of time.
Still a lot of cd's to go.
Suddenly I realized maybe I do something wrong and will they sound not good enough on my streamer.
No problem, than I'll do it again. Wink

So no news yet.
I'll keep all you helpers/advisors posted.
Have a nice weekend,
Arno
2017-11-21, 19:41 (This post was last modified: 2017-11-21 19:42 by mackhm.)
HI Arno,

A Renew DS/1, or even a DS/0 would be a very good bet as well. The Renew DS/0 will actually have the dynamik power supply which the full Klimax DS/0 does not have, and so is pretty good, but the Renew DS/1 will be better still if you can get one at a decent price. I would expect it to outperform the Akurate DS/1 in respect of SQ, but either will be good.

There actually isn't much that can go wrong in respect of sound quality from a ripping perspective, as long as you make sure you are ripping in an appropriate lossless format to your NAS. What you might find unsatisfactory, depending upon your genres of music is the way that albums are presented to you using the Linn control app, if you haven't gathered the metadata from your rips optimally.

This tends to be more of an issue with classical music, and may end up with a requirement to carry out some long-winded and boring metadata editing. With genres other than classical, this is much less likely to be an issue. For the most part, I am happy to live with the default options provided in dbPoweramp for my stored music.

Good luck, and keep us informed of your progress in finding a streamer.

Main: Michell Orbe/Tecnoarm/Dynavector DV20X2;Trigon Advance; Linn Klimax DS/1; Lindemann 830S; Lindemann 858; Magnepan 3.6R; TQ UB; Synology DS216+II
AV: Sonore microRendu/Teddy Pardo 7v PS/Gustard U12/Hugo DAC; Krell Showcase Pre/Pwr; Ruark Solstice/Prologue/Dialogue/REL Storm II
2017-11-21, 20:32 (This post was last modified: 2017-11-22 12:42 by mrco99.)
There is something special to Klimax series - I guess that's why they're called that way Big Grin - and Klimax Renew streamers may lack that beautiful machined-from-solid aluminium enclosure, they do however offer superb value for money.

To me, there's a big difference musically between KRDS0 and KRDS1 version - I would certainly get the /1 version if you can. If budget permits then the KRDS2 is certainly the best (and last) version of the Klimax Renew series and highly recommended. Akurate DS is ... well ... accurate sounding - nice detailed soundstage, it has a display plus enjoys the benefit of being upgradeable. But musically I'd prefer Klimax.... Try to have a listen to both before buying if you can.

LP12 - KDS1 - Oppo UDP-205 - Lejonklou Slipsik 6.0 - Satagun Mono 1.3 Preamps - Tundra Mono 2.2 Poweramps - Akurate 242 mk2

Lejonklou • NOKTable Turntable stand • Quadraspire supplier

www.hexagonaudio.eu
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-11-25, 19:39
It is in!!
Today I bought myself a new looking Akurate DS/1 with the DS/2 upgrade.
It is like new, even the remote.

After some disappointing traders offering a DS, I went to Beter Beeld en Geluid in Hilversum, The Netherlands.
Nice shop, surprisingly rooms with great, to me unknown, gear.
I met Garmt, a passionate guy with huge knowledge about audio and music. Pleasant to talk with and a serious barista.
After an hour I took de DS home and at home I connected it in the set.
Problems with the internet, Ziggo router seems unworkable with a streamer. Thanks to help from Garmt again I can start enjoying my flacs.

One thing. Kazoo gives not all the covers when I play. On the Macbook. iPhone is better.
Anyone?
On the DS it says Spotify but I can't connect it. Yes I'm a premium member.
I would love to hear tips and tricks now to tweak working with the DS.

All you who helped me, tipped me or else, THANKS for your help. Maybe later I can do something back. You'll never know.

Have a nice weekend.
Arno
2017-11-26, 09:34
(2017-11-25 19:39)R-Know Wrote:  On the DS it says Spotify but I can't connect it. Yes I'm a premium member.
I would love to hear tips and tricks now to tweak working with the DS.

You need to do it via the Spotify app. See this thread, and do come back if you still have problems.

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
2017-11-26, 11:27
Spotify works now.
Thank god the sound quality is not the same as the ripped cd's.

I still have to get used to Kazoo.
Till this far it works but not the way I like it.
When I open Kazoo I expect to see a lot of covers which I can make bigger or smaller by using my fingers.
When the ipad is in it's cover I cannot see the library letters on the right. SonI have to take it out to browse.
On the iphone I can handle it. It is not the main remote.
Anybody with a nice alternative?