Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-16, 06:13 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / Replacing NAS drive - suggestions pls

Replacing NAS drive - suggestions pls
2017-11-06, 23:22
Replacing NAS drive - suggestions pls
Hi, my QNAP 112 NAS is 5 years old and I’m thinking of replacing it before it dies (I have lots of backups btw). I only use the NAS for music streaming to my Akurate DSM and a disk size of 1TB is ample. Currently I use Twonky but I understand that’s not supported by QNAP anymore.

Any advice on what would be the best value NAS to meet my needs?
Ps I’m something of an IT simpleton so ease of setup is important.

Thanks

Akurate DSM, Klimax Twin & 242s (ver1) for music. Adding Yamaha 5100, Sizmik, 225 centre, Majik 2400 & Keilidh rears for home cinema.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-11-07, 00:05
RE: Replacing NAS drive - suggestions pls
If you are already have a single drive QNAP and have been happy with it, the obvious advice is that you should stick with what you know. I recently bought a TS-131 with a 3TB WD Red drive, and am very happy with it. I run MinimServer, which is almost trivially easy to install, as my music server. Of course, QTS has moved on since you bought your 112, and is now at version 4.3.3, but things should be reasonably familiar.

While you may not have an immediate need for increased drive capacity, you may find that 1TB is no longer the most cost-effective disk size; within reason, it is usually best to buy whichever disk gives you the lowest cost per gigabyte.

Of course, if you are using a single drive NAS, you need to keep a complete backup of your music library elsewhere in your system. Have you already made provision for this?

David.

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
2017-11-07, 06:45
(2017-11-07 00:05)DavidHB Wrote:  If you are already have a single drive QNAP and have been happy with it, the obvious advice is that you should stick with what you know. I recently bought a TS-131 with a 3TB WD Red drive, and am very happy with it. I run MinimServer, which is almost trivially easy to install, as my music server. Of course, QTS has moved on since you bought your 112, and is now at version 4.3.3, but things should be reasonably familiar.

While you may not have an immediate need for increased drive capacity, you may find that 1TB is no longer the most cost-effective disk size; within reason, it is usually best to buy whichever disk gives you the lowest cost per gigabyte.

Of course, if you are using a single drive NAS, you need to keep a complete backup of your music library elsewhere in your system. Have you already made provision for this?

David.

Hi David, re backups - yes I currently have the QNAP + 2 separate backup drives of the music in different geographic locations so I’m pretty covered on backups baring a global conflict.

I will look into the 131.

One thing occurred to me. I need to renew my current desktop PC. If I bought a new desktop with a couple of big disks presumably that would work as well? Unless there is particular benefit in using a NAS over a PC.

Akurate DSM, Klimax Twin & 242s (ver1) for music. Adding Yamaha 5100, Sizmik, 225 centre, Majik 2400 & Keilidh rears for home cinema.
2017-11-07, 07:50
I always used the "old" NAS for remote backup (nightly incremental backup to the old NAS located in another room at home) of the newer NAS (which is a different backup from monthly backup on a USB disk stored far away, in the office e.g.)

KDSM/1, Twins (D), Katalyst Komris, Roon
2017-11-07, 10:12
(2017-11-07 06:45)mwwardy Wrote:  One thing occurred to me. I need to renew my current desktop PC. If I bought a new desktop with a couple of big disks presumably that would work as well? Unless there is particular benefit in using a NAS over a PC.

I use dedicated Mac Mini with attached disk array. PC running Linux or Windows should work too. Advantage over NAS is choice of software & more powerful processor. I power up when in use & it starts faster than my Linn DS. My MM has 8 GB of RAM & SSD boot drive. Music server is J River, which loads an entire album or playlist into memory so disk access during playing back is negligible making it near silent. I’ve also used Audirvana & Minimserver & both work well. So yes PC should be fine.

Digital Juke Box & KLP12 into KK/1D+KCT through SD9s
MDSM3 through MG12s
2017-11-07, 11:02
A NAS is basically a computer anyway, but it's designed to be on 24/7 while PCs tend not to be. My QNAP could even replace my PC for many things if I wanted to use it that way. So it depends on how you use it.

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-11-07, 11:26 (This post was last modified: 2017-11-07 11:27 by mackhm.)
For simplicity and reliability, I would strongly recommend that you purchase another NAS rather than use your desktop PC or laptop as your music server for a number of reasons. Any reasonably powered NAS from Synology or QNAP should be fine. Logically, although I use Synology myself, I would suggest getting another QNAP since you will be more familiar with the QNAP interface.

Although I have personally never used Twonky, I am pretty sure that the alternative media servers available from QNAP and Synology will be better. If you go with QNAP, then you will have access to installation packages for Asset or minimServer, both of which are generally well liked. If you go with Synology, then your options will be Synology's own uPnP server or minimServer. I personally use the Synology DS216+II NAS (twin Western Digital Red hard drives) in conjunction with minimServer. This is a little tricky to install (apparently easier to install on a QNAP), but works superbly well and reliably once set up.

My advice to you would be to go with a similarly powered QNAP (with one or two WD Red drives), and install the Asset uPnP server (bundled as an installation package with the QNAP range of NASs) which seems to be universally liked by QNAP users. I haven't used Asset, but it is almost certainly at least as easy to install as Twonky is, and likely to be better and more reliable in operation.

Main: Michell Orbe/Tecnoarm/Dynavector DV20X2;Trigon Advance; Linn Klimax DS/1; Lindemann 830S; Lindemann 858; Magnepan 3.6R; TQ UB; Synology DS216+II
AV: Sonore microRendu/Teddy Pardo 7v PS/Gustard U12/Hugo DAC; Krell Showcase Pre/Pwr; Ruark Solstice/Prologue/Dialogue/REL Storm II
2017-11-07, 12:40
On the Asset point raised above, yes it is good, but you don't get the features missing in minimServer on the free version, such as dynamic browsing and random playlist generators (and others, it's explained on the Asset website). You need to upgrade to Premium for those.
I don't recall it being bundled in with my QNAP either but that may be because I bought the premium version.

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-11-07, 12:45
(2017-11-07 11:26)mackhm Wrote:  For simplicity and reliability, I would strongly recommend that you purchase another NAS rather than use your desktop PC or laptop as your music server for a number of reasons. Any reasonably powered NAS from Synology or QNAP should be fine. Logically, although I use Synology myself, I would suggest getting another QNAP since you will be more familiar with the QNAP interface.

Although I have personally never used Twonky, I am pretty sure that the alternative media servers available from QNAP and Synology will be better. If you go with QNAP, then you will have access to installation packages for Asset or minimServer, both of which are generally well liked. If you go with Synology, then your options will be Synology's own uPnP server or minimServer. I personally use the Synology DS216+II NAS (twin Western Digital Red hard drives) in conjunction with minimServer. This is a little tricky to install (apparently easier to install on a QNAP), but works superbly well and reliably once set up.

My advice to you would be to go with a similarly powered QNAP (with one or two WD Red drives), and install the Asset uPnP server (bundled as an installation package with the QNAP range of NASs) which seems to be universally liked by QNAP users. I haven't used Asset, but it is almost certainly at least as easy to install as Twonky is, and likely to be better and more reliable in operation.

+1 for Asset.
2017-11-07, 13:34
(2017-11-07 12:45)ContinentaltypeR Wrote:  
(2017-11-07 11:26)mackhm Wrote:  For simplicity and reliability, I would strongly recommend that you purchase another NAS rather than use your desktop PC or laptop as your music server for a number of reasons. Any reasonably powered NAS from Synology or QNAP should be fine. Logically, although I use Synology myself, I would suggest getting another QNAP since you will be more familiar with the QNAP interface.

+1 for Asset.

Hi - thanks I was thinking of using Asset. Quick point - I didn't realise Asset came bundled with QNAP NAS's. I had a look on the QNAP App Centre web page and can't see it - am I being thick?

Thanks