Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-14, 22:02 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / Replacing NAS drive - suggestions pls

Replacing NAS drive - suggestions pls
2017-11-07, 14:03
RE: Replacing NAS drive - suggestions pls
(2017-11-07 12:40)timster Wrote:  On the Asset point raised above, yes it is good, but you don't get the features missing in minimServer on the free version, such as dynamic browsing and random playlist generators (and others, it's explained on the Asset website). You need to upgrade to Premium for those.
I don't recall it being bundled in with my QNAP either but that may be because I bought the premium version.

Hi

I'm quite prepared to buy the Premium version of Asset - in fact I'm quite prepared to pay someone to do the whole installation process for me ;-) . I'll probably upgrade my DBPoweramp software to ver R16 as well while I'm at it.

Akurate DSM, Klimax Twin & 242s (ver1) for music. Adding Yamaha 5100, Sizmik, 225 centre, Majik 2400 & Keilidh rears for home cinema.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-11-07, 16:51
I have actually been recently comparing servers now that I have a QNAP and can run Kazoo, Minim and Asset. Turns out Minim is the only one that handles multiple tags values. I may put in a request on the Asset forum, but if it's something you'd want, information is power and all that Wink

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-11-07, 19:44
As a general point would a NAS with solid state drives be a recommendation now? I have no intention to change from WD Caviar Reds but it seems a fair question.

Home: Akurate DSM, Ikemi, Oppo BDP-95, LK140 x 3, Aktiv Keilidh x 2, Paradigm Servo-15, Pioneer PDP-LX6090.
Somewhere in Southern Europe: Sneaky DS, Pioneer BDP-LX70A, Yamaha A-S5000/A, EB Acoustics EB1 x 2 and a telly.
2017-11-07, 21:16
(2017-11-07 13:34)mwwardy Wrote:  
(2017-11-07 12:45)ContinentaltypeR Wrote:  
(2017-11-07 11:26)mackhm Wrote:  For simplicity and reliability, I would strongly recommend that you purchase another NAS rather than use your desktop PC or laptop as your music server for a number of reasons. Any reasonably powered NAS from Synology or QNAP should be fine. Logically, although I use Synology myself, I would suggest getting another QNAP since you will be more familiar with the QNAP interface.

Although I have personally never used Twonky, I am pretty sure that the alternative media servers available from QNAP and Synology will be better. If you go with QNAP, then you will have access to installation packages for Asset or minimServer, both of which are generally well liked. If you go with Synology, then your options will be Synology's own uPnP server or minimServer. I personally use the Synology DS216+II NAS (twin Western Digital Red hard drives) in conjunction with minimServer. This is a little tricky to install (apparently easier to install on a QNAP), but works superbly well and reliably once set up.

My advice to you would be to go with a similarly powered QNAP (with one or two WD Red drives), and install the Asset uPnP server (bundled as an installation package with the QNAP range of NASs) which seems to be universally liked by QNAP users. I haven't used Asset, but it is almost certainly at least as easy to install as Twonky is, and likely to be better and more reliable in operation.

+1 for Asset.

Hi - thanks I was thinking of using Asset. Quick point - I didn't realise Asset came bundled with QNAP NAS's. I had a look on the QNAP App Centre web page and can't see it - am I being thick?

Thanks

Apologies, but I think you are right. I have never owned a QNAP, and just assumed that since Asset appears to be the most commonly used uPnP server with Asset, it was available with the NAS as an installation package.

I don't think this should be a big deal, because a QNAP compatible version of Asset is available as a free download from the dbPoweramp site. I guess you will need to look at the features and decide if it is worthwhile paying for the premium version.

Of course, you still have the option of installing minimServer which I find to be excellent for my particular needs, and extremely reliable.

Good luck.

Main: Michell Orbe/Tecnoarm/Dynavector DV20X2;Trigon Advance; Linn Klimax DS/1; Lindemann 830S; Lindemann 858; Magnepan 3.6R; TQ UB; Synology DS216+II
AV: Sonore microRendu/Teddy Pardo 7v PS/Gustard U12/Hugo DAC; Krell Showcase Pre/Pwr; Ruark Solstice/Prologue/Dialogue/REL Storm II
2017-11-07, 21:32
(2017-11-07 19:44)TomBL Wrote:  As a general point would a NAS with solid state drives be a recommendation now? I have no intention to change from WD Caviar Reds but it seems a fair question.
Potentially yes, but you really don't need the extra speed (and associated expense) of SSD drives for uPnP streaming.

I have come across some posts where people have claimed that NASs with SSD drives 'sound' better than those with their mechanical counterparts, but for me at least, and I suspect that for most on this forum, this suggestion is just a step (or three) too far.

I haven't looked at any stats in respect of long term reliabililty, so I guess that there may be a case to be made for the extra expense involved in purchasing SSD drives. However, my own preference would be to go for good mechanical drives (eg WD Reds), and make sure that you back up your NAS and (preferably) keep the backup off site.

I personally have mirrored drives in my NAS, so if one drive fails I would just swap in another, but I also keep a backup off site. In all my years of using NAS drives (all WD Reds) I have never had a drive failure, but I have had one NAS motherboard failure which required me to purchase a replacement NAS. I was able to install my original disks in the new NAS and was up and running without the need to perform a restore.

Main: Michell Orbe/Tecnoarm/Dynavector DV20X2;Trigon Advance; Linn Klimax DS/1; Lindemann 830S; Lindemann 858; Magnepan 3.6R; TQ UB; Synology DS216+II
AV: Sonore microRendu/Teddy Pardo 7v PS/Gustard U12/Hugo DAC; Krell Showcase Pre/Pwr; Ruark Solstice/Prologue/Dialogue/REL Storm II
2017-11-08, 08:39
(2017-11-07 16:51)timster Wrote:  I have actually been recently comparing servers now that I have a QNAP and can run Kazoo, Minim and Asset. Turns out Minim is the only one that handles multiple tags values. I may put in a request on the Asset forum, but if it's something you'd want, information is power and all that Wink

J River MC will also run on QNAP.

Digital Juke Box & KLP12 into KK/1D+KCT through SD9s
MDSM3 through MG12s
2017-11-08, 09:00
(2017-11-07 19:44)TomBL Wrote:  As a general point would a NAS with solid state drives be a recommendation now? I have no intention to change from WD Caviar Reds but it seems a fair question.

They would be quieter because they have no moving parts, but expensive. There would be no difference in sound quality as the data loaded in to the buffer on Linn DS would be identical.

There are, of course, some folk who can hear differences between SSD & HDD. I think legendary audiophile NASs often have SSDs & have found a market. Strangley their advocates mostly dismiss the ideas of Peter Belt, whereas I’m convinced putting purple ribbon around radiator pipes gives a sound quality boost of the same order as an audiophile NAS wired with audiophile Ethernet cables to an audiophile switch.

Digital Juke Box & KLP12 into KK/1D+KCT through SD9s
MDSM3 through MG12s
2017-11-08, 10:25
I've ordered a QNAP TS-131P with a 2TB RED WD disk. I propose to install it this week and transfer my FLAC files from my old QNAP. I will then attempt (fingers crossed) to install Asset upnp which hopefully will give me 2 QNAPS (my old one and the new one) both as hot swap streamers.

Probably continue using the old one as the main one until it gives up the ghost unless anyone has any better ideas. Maybe I if get the bug this is the start of a server farm!

Thanks everyone for your help - if I have any problems watch this space ;-)

Akurate DSM, Klimax Twin & 242s (ver1) for music. Adding Yamaha 5100, Sizmik, 225 centre, Majik 2400 & Keilidh rears for home cinema.
2017-11-08, 10:41
(2017-11-08 10:25)mwwardy Wrote:  I've ordered a QNAP TS-131P with a 2TB RED WD disk. I propose to install it this week and transfer my FLAC files from my old QNAP. I will then attempt (fingers crossed) to install Asset upnp which hopefully will give me 2 QNAPS (my old one and the new one) both as hot swap streamers.

Probably continue using the old one as the main one until it gives up the ghost unless anyone has any better ideas. Maybe I if get the bug this is the start of a server farm!

Thanks everyone for your help - if I have any problems watch this space ;-)

I did similar when I got my new QNAP. So I now have my old Synology as a backup/redundancy NAS from which I FTP-sync'd my music to the new, and then I RTRR any changes back to the old. As you will have 2 QNAPs it should be even easier to do similar - have them as a sync'd pair with the new one as the main - you can then just keep your backup strategy as is, backing up the old one until it gives up.

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-11-08, 13:14
(2017-11-07 13:34)mwwardy Wrote:  Hi - thanks I was thinking of using Asset. Quick point - I didn't realise Asset came bundled with QNAP NAS's. I had a look on the QNAP App Centre web page and can't see it - am I being thick?

No. Asset doesn't come bundled. Here is the QNAP install page for Asset, which explains things.

On another point, I cannot speak of Asset, as I don't use it, but I do know that there is no such thing as a 'best' server package; the one to choose is the one that best suits your use case. For instance, if you just want a 'fire up and forget' server with minimal provision for user configuration, Linn's own Kazoo Server may be worth looking at. If your music library is manly classical, I would recommend MinimServer.

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko