Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-14, 22:00 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / Replacing NAS drive - suggestions pls

Replacing NAS drive - suggestions pls
2017-11-08, 13:41
RE: Replacing NAS drive - suggestions pls
(2017-11-08 13:14)DavidHB Wrote:  
(2017-11-07 13:34)mwwardy Wrote:  Hi - thanks I was thinking of using Asset. Quick point - I didn't realise Asset came bundled with QNAP NAS's. I had a look on the QNAP App Centre web page and can't see it - am I being thick?

No. Asset doesn't come bundled. Here is the QNAP install page for Asset, which explains things.

On another point, I cannot speak of Asset, as I don't use it, but I do know that there is no such thing as a 'best' server package; the one to choose is the one that best suits your use case. For instance, if you just want a 'fire up and forget' server with minimal provision for user configuration, Linn's own Kazoo Server may be worth looking at. If your music library is manly classical, I would recommend MinimServer.

David

Hi - thanks for that. I currently use Twonky which has worked fine for me without any config (that I'm aware of). My music collection is mainly modern (rock, folk etc with minimal classical). I don't perceive I have a great need to configure the upnp server to do anything other than display artist/album - so maybe Kazoo Server would do.

May be worth giving it a try - I presume I download the Kazoo Server software to my laptop and then install from the QNAP using the QNAP's 'Install manually' option in the App Centre (please confirm).

Also I'm not sure what download option I would choose re my QNAP TS-131P - x83(32), x86(34), Arm x19, x31 or x41 (any ideas?)

Thanks

Akurate DSM, Klimax Twin & 242s (ver1) for music. Adding Yamaha 5100, Sizmik, 225 centre, Majik 2400 & Keilidh rears for home cinema.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-11-08, 14:33
(2017-11-08 13:41)mwwardy Wrote:  
(2017-11-08 13:14)DavidHB Wrote:  
(2017-11-07 13:34)mwwardy Wrote:  Hi - thanks I was thinking of using Asset. Quick point - I didn't realise Asset came bundled with QNAP NAS's. I had a look on the QNAP App Centre web page and can't see it - am I being thick?

No. Asset doesn't come bundled. Here is the QNAP install page for Asset, which explains things.

On another point, I cannot speak of Asset, as I don't use it, but I do know that there is no such thing as a 'best' server package; the one to choose is the one that best suits your use case. For instance, if you just want a 'fire up and forget' server with minimal provision for user configuration, Linn's own Kazoo Server may be worth looking at. If your music library is manly classical, I would recommend MinimServer.

David

Hi - thanks for that. I currently use Twonky which has worked fine for me without any config (that I'm aware of). My music collection is mainly modern (rock, folk etc with minimal classical). I don't perceive I have a great need to configure the upnp server to do anything other than display artist/album - so maybe Kazoo Server would do.

May be worth giving it a try - I presume I download the Kazoo Server software to my laptop and then install from the QNAP using the QNAP's 'Install manually' option in the App Centre (please confirm).

Also I'm not sure what download option I would choose re my QNAP TS-131P - x83(32), x86(34), Arm x19, x31 or x41 (any ideas?)

Thanks

Yes, download to you PC then install manually.
Your QNAP appears to have an ARM Cortex-A15 processor, and I believe the x-number is the "31" in it's name.

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-11-08, 14:37 (This post was last modified: 2017-11-08 14:38 by DavidHB.)
(2017-11-08 13:41)mwwardy Wrote:  ... so maybe Kazoo Server would do ... May be worth giving it a try - I presume I download the Kazoo Server software to my laptop and then install from the QNAP using the QNAP's 'Install manually' option in the App Centre (please confirm).

You're on the right track - here is the Kazoo Server manual, which has all the details. If you don't like Kazoo Server, you haven't lost anything, as it's free.

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
2017-11-08, 15:15
(2017-11-08 14:37)DavidHB Wrote:  
(2017-11-08 13:41)mwwardy Wrote:  ... so maybe Kazoo Server would do ... May be worth giving it a try - I presume I download the Kazoo Server software to my laptop and then install from the QNAP using the QNAP's 'Install manually' option in the App Centre (please confirm).

You're on the right track - here is the Kazoo Server manual, which has all the details. If you don't like Kazoo Server, you haven't lost anything, as it's free.

David

Cheers everyone - getting excited to give it a go - you've all been a real help and it is very much appreciated

Akurate DSM, Klimax Twin & 242s (ver1) for music. Adding Yamaha 5100, Sizmik, 225 centre, Majik 2400 & Keilidh rears for home cinema.
2017-11-08, 16:09
(2017-11-07 21:32)mackhm Wrote:  
(2017-11-07 19:44)TomBL Wrote:  As a general point would a NAS with solid state drives be a recommendation now? I have no intention to change from WD Caviar Reds but it seems a fair question.
Potentially yes, but you really don't need the extra speed (and associated expense) of SSD drives for uPnP streaming.

I have come across some posts where people have claimed that NASs with SSD drives 'sound' better than those with their mechanical counterparts, but for me at least, and I suspect that for most on this forum, this suggestion is just a step (or three) too far.

I haven't looked at any stats in respect of long term reliabililty, so I guess that there may be a case to be made for the extra expense involved in purchasing SSD drives. However, my own preference would be to go for good mechanical drives (eg WD Reds), and make sure that you back up your NAS and (preferably) keep the backup off site.

I personally have mirrored drives in my NAS, so if one drive fails I would just swap in another, but I also keep a backup off site. In all my years of using NAS drives (all WD Reds) I have never had a drive failure, but I have had one NAS motherboard failure which required me to purchase a replacement NAS. I was able to install my original disks in the new NAS and was up and running without the need to perform a restore.

Thanks. I was just wondering in a general sort of way how progress was going. As for your last paragraph: me too!

Home: Akurate DSM, Ikemi, Oppo BDP-95, LK140 x 3, Aktiv Keilidh x 2, Paradigm Servo-15, Pioneer PDP-LX6090.
Somewhere in Southern Europe: Sneaky DS, Pioneer BDP-LX70A, Yamaha A-S5000/A, EB Acoustics EB1 x 2 and a telly.
2017-11-13, 11:17
A weekend of NASing. Got the NAS up and running; copying my music files from old NAS to new NAS took much longer than expected (nearly 2 days via powerline - the Fall Windows 10 upgrade to my laptop didn't help). Will try and install Linn Kazoo Server tonight and see what happens. Also upgraded to the latest version of DBPoweramp - which apparently will let me rip a CD to both NASs in one go. Obviously not going to try that until I have a working upnp server. I see green flashing LEDs in my sleep!

2017-11-13, 23:43
All done. Linn Kazoo Server looks good. Certainly meets my needs. One learning point for the Qnap TS-131P download the x41 version of Kazoo Server.

Now I have 2 functioning NAS music servers. Thanks everyone.

2017-11-16, 01:23 (This post was last modified: 2017-11-16 01:26 by lyapounov.)
I always had Synology.

Then, just for fun, after a move, I decided to switch to Qnap.

I hated Qnap, from a purely interface point of view. Unclear, not very user friendly, and bugs.

Also, I don't like the fact that some server like Linn Kazzo or Asset uPnP are on QNAP and not on Synology. Minimserver, at least, works on all plateforms, and is really very good. And free. The idea to stuck people to a HW choice through a software is outdated, and rude for users.

So : Syno 214Play => Qnap TS-251+ => Synology DS716+II (upgraded to 8G of memory)

The Qnap is better than the Play in terms of speed, but the DS716+II is as good as the QNAP.

With a better interface.

But, of course, Gustibus Coloribus non discutandem !