Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-13, 13:51 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / Differences between Akurate DS players?

Differences between Akurate DS players?
2017-11-08, 22:36
Differences between Akurate DS players?
I think I'm serious interested in buying a used Akurate Ds.
But....which one to go for.
What are the cons of the oldest and how can I recognize one.
Should I save more money to buy a newer one?

I'm open for all options
Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-11-08, 23:08
RE: Differences between Akurate DS players?
Minimum I would say is an Akurate DS/0/Dynamik. Should be around 1000gbp or less now.

After that, just decide which one matches your budget. I doubt you will see many around, but the Akurate DS/0/1 is probably going to be the best balance of performance to spend (it is the Akurate DS/1 electronics in the older Akrurate DS/0 case).

Main: AK/0/D; AEDSM; MeiCord AExaktbox10; Silvers 2x A4200/1; K400 NSL Exakt dual-mono PMC Twenty.26; Twenty.C; Blacks AV5125 PMC Twenty.21
Playroom: SBT; V-DAC1; Cyrus6; M773e
Garage: SBT/Rega DAC; Arcam AVR100; 2x AV5125; Aktiv Ninkas, Trikan, AVSeKretan
www.audiophilemusings.co.uk
2017-11-09, 01:22
Good suggestion Sunbeamgls

For similar money, consider a Klimax Renew DS, as they have great sound quality.

However, the newer Akurate DS/DSM players probably outperform the older Akurate DS players.

This is also true of the newer Majik DS/DSM players are great value for the money and can sound wonderful when set up properly with Space optimization.

Exakt Surround 5.0:
Katalyst Akubariks, AEDSM, Akurate Exaktbox 6/4200 for 225 Centre, Majik Exaktbox I for 212 Surrounds, OPPO 105 on StillPoints.
Power: Environmental Potentials 2460, Shunyata Triton, Zitron Cobras, Alpha Digitals
Room Acoustics: SPACE, SubDude HT's, Acoustic Panels
2017-11-09, 07:23
Even though the Dynamik upgrade, adding the /D to its name made the ADS/0 a lot better, I'd stay away from it altogether. The reason is that a new Majik DS/2 gives the same level of performance for about the same price, because the only 2 ADSs that are for sale in The Netherlands at the moment have an asking price of €1600 and €1700 which is far away from the more realistic €1100 that SunbeamGLS mentions.
The performance jump from ADS0/D to ADS1 was quite big though, and the ADS2 is again better, bringing it at the level of the original Klimax DS0/D. It seems there is a gap of 2 generations between the performance levels. No idea if that stays like this but for now it seems to be the case.

So unless you can convince either of the sellers to drop their prices significantly I'd go for a new MDS/2.

My 2 cents. Smile

Tin can telephone system.
2017-11-09, 21:25
Why not do what I did and get yourself a brand new ADSM at a bargain price. I upgraded my first DS, one of the early Sneakys, to a second hand AkurateDS/O dynamicked which cost me £1400 a couple of years ago. I recently (last week) upgraded it to the ADSM which is current spec for £3400. This means my ADSM cost £4800 instead of £6300 for a new MDSM. The ADSM sounds soooo much better than the ADS/0 which frankly, was no better than my Sneaky. If the option I suggest is outwith your budget, I would not recommend a second hand AkurateDS/0 and go with the MDS/2 as Tin suggests.

Bill.

ADSM2 | 2250 | K400 | Keilidhs
RasberryPI-B/HiFiberry DAC | Classik | Kans MkII
QNAP 212P | Minimserver
2017-11-11, 11:28
Thanks all, you are giving me a hard time Wink.
It is not getting any easier.
Reading some reviews on the www it seems the Majik 2 is very good value for money, maybe even better than a previous generation Akurate.
A new Akurate will be better, off course, but I have to save a lot longer to buy one. So.....
Also, a new Majik gives me waranty for the next few years.
A Klimax renew can be nice, but is no longer available new?
And, it doesn't look very nice either.
2017-11-11, 11:32 (This post was last modified: 2017-11-11 11:34 by timster.)
(2017-11-11 11:28)R-Know Wrote:  Thanks all, you are giving me a hard time Wink.
It is not getting any easier.
Reading some reviews on the www it seems the Majik 2 is very good value for money, maybe even better than a previous generation Akurate.
A new Akurate will be better, off course, but I have to save a lot longer to buy one. So.....
Also, a new Majik gives me waranty for the next few years.
A Klimax renew can be nice, but is no longer available new?
And, it doesn't look very nice either.

New will have 5 year warranty. Warranties are transferable.
Renews aren't available "new" direct. Only from previous owners. It's components will never be new as they are made up from the old device's components. They are therefore "pared down" to act a secondary system in most cases. They may be "new" in the 2nd hand market in that someone has taken the option when upgrading purely for the purposes of reselling. Only cost-effective at Klimax level.

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-11-11, 12:50
There is a lot to say in favour of a Renew KDS, but some Klimax owners prefer to have their cake and eat it too:
One moment they say that one of the USPs of Klimax is the heavy aluminium casing
The other moment they say that a Renew, old electronics in a normal, cheaper case, will sound as good as the original.

I have no opinion of which of the above is true but I object that both of them would be true at the same time, except in the case of the original KDS/0 which was actually -upgraded- because its Renew was a KRDS/0/D, so it got Dynamiked even if its original wasn't. But for newer iterations that wasn't specifically special anymore.

But still, if you can find an affordable KRDS, of any generation, that would be a very good choice.

Tin can telephone system.
2017-11-13, 12:36
The KRDS has its 5 year warranty renewed at the time of build too.

I have a KRDS/1 and am very happy with it. It has had daily use for the past 18 months with no issues at all.

Primary: LP12, Gaio, KRDS/1, Akurate Tuner, USC, Sony BRP, Kinos, 3 x 5125, Espeks, Ekwal, Katans, 2 x Sizmik 10.5, Stax 507. Stands Unique Supports
Secondary: LP12, Dino/Dino+, Pekin, Genki, Kairn, 3 x LK85, Keilidhs, Stands Unique Supports
Tertiary: Raumfeld Connector, Classik, Kan IVs
2017-11-13, 13:49
(2017-11-11 12:50)Tin Wrote:  There is a lot to say in favour of a Renew KDS, but some Klimax owners prefer to have their cake and eat it too:
One moment they say that one of the USPs of Klimax is the heavy aluminium casing
The other moment they say that a Renew, old electronics in a normal, cheaper case, will sound as good as the original.

I have no opinion of which of the above is true but I object that both of them would be true at the same time, except in the case of the original KDS/0 which was actually -upgraded- because its Renew was a KRDS/0/D, so it got Dynamiked even if its original wasn't. But for newer iterations that wasn't specifically special anymore.

But still, if you can find an affordable KRDS, of any generation, that would be a very good choice.

I think Tin is correct here.
The original Klimax DS0 did not have Dynamik.

When the owner went for an upgrade and specified the Renew option the board was transferred over and the power supply replaced with a Dynamik so arguably better than the original other than the case.

Renew DS/0 should be around £1700

Klimax LP12 (Cirkus, Tranquility, Radikal D, Keel, Urika, Khan top plate, Ekos SE, Kandid). Klimax Renew DS. KK D, Solos D. 242 mk 2 with upgraded stands. Project RCM