Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-13, 14:01 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / Removing Aktiv Cards

Removing Aktiv Cards
2017-11-10, 00:43 (This post was last modified: 2017-11-10 00:47 by Music at Home.)
RE: Removing Aktiv Cards
(2017-11-09 16:30)Paulq Wrote:  Just a quick question guys - how much would you expect a dealer to charge to remove active cards from 2 amps please?

Just noticed your signature. Interesting. I'm on the lookout for something a bit bigger and more capable than my Majik 109's. 212's would be the obvious answer I suppose but I'm hoping to have a listen soon to ADSM/1 + 4200 + SCM19's, vs ADSM/1 + SCM19A's. I've already heard SCM19's passive with unfamiliar electronics (Vitus) and liked them enough that I'm planning to go back for a further dem.

Did you compare the 40A's against the 19A's?

ADSM/1 -> ATC SCM19A's
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-11-10, 01:22 (This post was last modified: 2017-11-10 01:23 by Paulq.)
(2017-11-10 00:43)Music at Home Wrote:  
(2017-11-09 16:30)Paulq Wrote:  Just a quick question guys - how much would you expect a dealer to charge to remove active cards from 2 amps please?

Just noticed your signature. Interesting. I'm on the lookout for something a bit bigger and more capable than my Majik 109's. 212's would be the obvious answer I suppose but I'm hoping to have a listen soon to ADSM/1 + 4200 + SCM19's, vs ADSM/1 + SCM19A's. I've already heard SCM19's passive with unfamiliar electronics (Vitus) and liked them enough that I'm planning to go back for a further dem.

Did you compare the 40A's against the 19A's?

I did indeed and spent a very long and pleasant couple of afternoons doing just that, along with Exakt Akudoriks with Katalyst as a comparator.

Without getting on my soapbox (and potentially getting banned from the site Wink) I'll keep it brief in that I find the whole approach to Exakt both confusing and unnecessarily complex. My next logical step was to go Exakt and whilst I have listened to some excellent Exakt systems (sunbeamgls' being a particularly impressive case in point) it would have involved significantly more financial outlay for what I considered, for me, to be a disproportionate gain. Additionally, I couldn't live with more boxes and the resulting mangrove forest of cables.

I then started to look at 3rd party actives and demo'd both the Acoustic Energy AE1's and the ATC SCM19a's and SCM40a's.

My impressions were that the AE1's matched and bettered my existing setup of an A4200 and Katans in every way. Same level of detail and scale and they are just a totally enjoyable listen.

Add to that they just scream simplicity with a single XLR cable either side - easy.

They are however a stopping point on the way to the ATC SCM40a's which, put succinctly, are speakers which literally just blew me away. I have never ever heard a midrange on a speaker as good as that.

I did an A/B with the SCM19a which are also very impressive. In my view though, the extra drive unit and amp in the 40a are worth the price difference - the SCM40a do scale, subtlety, presence and imaging like nothing I have ever heard before. The fact that ATC makes their own drive units and design the amps to match them is particularly evident. They just sound 'right'.

My plan is that I'll run my ADSM with the AE1s for now whilst piggy banking for the ATCs. Once bought I'll use the AE1s with the MDSM. Longer term, I'll add in a KDSM to use with the 40a's and I think that will probably see me done and happy for a very long time. It's every bit as good as what I have heard from Exakt systems and with heaps of simplicity and a lot less cost. That said, I completely get why people go Exakt - I am not criticising it - it's just not for me.

Happy to share more thoughts over PM if interested.

(If I do get banned then it's been a pleasure guys :shySmile.

Akurate DSM/1, Acoustic Energy AE1 Active.

Synology DS212j NAS.

Denon AH-D7000, Shure SRH-1540, Beyerdynamic DT880, Grado SR80e, Meridian Prime, Meridian Explorer 2, Audioquest Dragonfly Black.
2017-11-10, 07:12
Thanks Paul. I listened SCM19's, 40's and 50's (all passive) and SCM100A's (active) more or less back-to-back in a 2 hour session. The 100A's were something else! Unfortunately I don't ever see me being able to accommodate them, but the performance on offer was right up there with the best I've heard.

I will PM you my thoughts about 19's vs 40's but could be later this evening.

ADSM/1 -> ATC SCM19A's
2017-11-10, 12:41
(2017-11-09 23:22)sunbeamgls Wrote:  I'll take the risk. We'll have the amps done in 15 mins whilst the system warms up and the first brew is sorted.

You're on. I'll bring the biscuits so get your order in......Wink

Akurate DSM/1, Acoustic Energy AE1 Active.

Synology DS212j NAS.

Denon AH-D7000, Shure SRH-1540, Beyerdynamic DT880, Grado SR80e, Meridian Prime, Meridian Explorer 2, Audioquest Dragonfly Black.
2017-11-10, 23:31
Fig rolls.

PM me with some day and time suggestions.

Main: AK/0/D; AEDSM; MeiCord AExaktbox10; Silvers 2x A4200/1; K400 NSL Exakt dual-mono PMC Twenty.26; Twenty.C; Blacks AV5125 PMC Twenty.21
Playroom: SBT; V-DAC1; Cyrus6; M773e
Garage: SBT/Rega DAC; Arcam AVR100; 2x AV5125; Aktiv Ninkas, Trikan, AVSeKretan
www.audiophilemusings.co.uk
2017-11-10, 23:44
Devil's advocate - whilst it's an easy job (some scews and some cables to unplug if I remember right), said dealer probably has to provide at least a minimal guarantee and cover any damage he might inflict, not to mention premises to maintain and tools to provide. Take your car to a (main dealer) garage for just about anything and you'd be lucky to get them to lift the bonnet for that.
Seems you've come to a much more sensible conclusion though. Word of warning: tea spills are mostly harmless, unless you take sugar Big Grin

ADs/2 -> Klimax Exaktbox/1 -> Silvers -> 2xKCT/D -> K200 -> Ninka
Exaktbox Sub - BK Sub
2017-11-11, 09:02
(2017-11-10 23:31)sunbeamgls Wrote:  Fig rolls.

Eeeuuuwww Sad Almost as bad as olives.

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-11-11, 09:42 (This post was last modified: 2017-11-11 09:45 by Tin.)
(2017-11-11 09:02)timster Wrote:  
(2017-11-10 23:31)sunbeamgls Wrote:  Fig rolls.

Eeeuuuwww Sad Almost as bad as olives.
You sir, are a savage.

Tongue

Tin can telephone system.