Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-13, 13:44 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / UPnP confusion

UPnP confusion
2017-11-10, 02:12
UPnP confusion
Hi some advice please:

I have a MDSM in the front room (very happy with) but I would also like music in the kitchen and can’t justify another Linn streamer so I built a raspberry pi/hifi Berry amp with pi core player (Logitech media server). Kazoo can see the MDSM but can’t see the Logitech player (as another room) but it can see it as a server. Just out of interest I downloaded Kinsky and it can see the MDSM, and surprisingly it can see the Logitech player (as another room) every so often (comes and goes) and another pi I have kicking around the house.

I also downloaded an app called “iPeng” which is squeeze box remote and this sees the Logitech and plays it perfectly no problem but can’t see the MDSM!

Any advice as I would love both players to work with 1 app (ease of use) and want music sharing facility.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-11-10, 07:33
RE: UPnP confusion
Not an IT guy so not sure if this is a solution, but try the OpenHome player on your Pi:
http://openhome.org/pages/use/downloads/pi.html

It will at least appear as a room on Kazoo which you can then multi-room with your MDSM.

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-11-10, 09:26 (This post was last modified: 2017-11-10 09:36 by gdp1965.)
Hi timster thanks for the response

I am using OpenHome. Anyone else used this player and had success/problems with it? Can PM me to avoid boring everyone with this computer stuff :-)

(2017-11-10 07:33)timster Wrote:  Not an IT guy so not sure if this is a solution, but try the OpenHome player on your Pi:

It will at least appear as a room on Kazoo which you can then multi-room with your MDSM.
2017-11-10, 09:38
(2017-11-10 09:26)gdp1965 Wrote:  Hi timster thanks for the response

I am using OpenHome. Anyone else used this player and had success/problems with it? Can PM me to avoid boring everyone with this computer stuff :-)

(2017-11-10 07:33)timster Wrote:  Not an IT guy so not sure if this is a solution, but try the OpenHome player on your Pi:

I have used it on my PC, and it works fine.
So you have it running on your Pi but it's not visible as a room in Kazoo?

Hello to Jason Isaacs
2017-11-10, 10:05
Yes. I can see it as a server (so if I plug a hard drive into it it will ‘serve’ music to the mdsm) but I can’t see it in “rooms” to play music from it. If that makes sense.
(2017-11-10 09:38)timster Wrote:  

2017-11-10, 10:32 (This post was last modified: 2017-11-10 10:38 by Donald.)
See my signature for my RPi implementation - connected via my Cat 6 network to the Netgear switch and QNAP NAS.

The RPi is running Volumio and I have MinimServer on the NAS.

Control Point is BubbleDS on my Nexus 7 which allows me to stream music to my Akurate DSM or RPi, or both. Smile

I've never got on well with Kinsky or Kazoo!

Unidisk SC | Majik LP12 | Trampolin 2 | Lingo 3.
Akurate DSM/2 | Akurate Exaktbox 10 | 2 x Akurate 4200/1 | Exakt dual-mono Keilidhs
Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | IQAudio Pi-DAC+ | Audiolab 8000A | AR28s.
2017-11-10, 10:49
What you're seeing is the Logitech server. OpenHome is the player that makes itself known to Kazoo as a "room", named according to what you have configured its name to be via it's configuration, accessed from Konfig. I think it's default name is SoftPlayer.

If you can't see OpenHome/SoftPlayer in Konfig devices then either it's not running or it's not visible on the network for some reason. I am not sure of its implementation on a Pi, but on my PC it needs to be run up manually (and the icon then appears in the notification area). You may need to select the right network as well.

(2017-11-10 10:05)gdp1965 Wrote:  Yes. I can see it as a server (so if I plug a hard drive into it it will ‘serve’ music to the mdsm) but I can’t see it in “rooms” to play music from it. If that makes sense.
(2017-11-10 09:38)timster Wrote:  

Hello to Jason Isaacs