Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-14, 19:48 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / Spotify vs Synology+Minimserver

Spotify vs Synology+Minimserver
2017-11-12, 22:27
Spotify vs Synology+Minimserver
Have started a trial of Spotify Premium and I'm a bit bemused: sound is noticeably clearer and detailed compared to equivalent downloads played from my NAS. I had no prior bias to expect that, in fact quite the opposite. All my kit has a wired connection to a switch which then comnects on to the router. Any other Syno users here who have experience of this? Am aware of the controversy around saying that different NAS's can sound different, but on this basis my Syno is not revealing my KDS3 at its best. And for the first time, I'm taking subscription audio seriously.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-11-13, 01:35
RE: Spotify vs Synology+Minimserver
My own experience has been slightly different. I subscribed to Spotify Premium for a while, and found it to be much better than I expected. However, I switched to Tidal because of its better (CD quality) sound quality.
Tidal sounds to me to be pretty nearly as good, but sometimes just not quite as good as the equivalent rips of my CDs streamed from my Synology NAS. However, it's pretty close, and certainly good enough to take subscription audio seriously.
I have never compared different NASs, but I do not subscribe to the view that different NASs can sound different. Perhaps the specific uPnP server can make a difference, although I am still sceptical. For what it is worth, I use MinimServer as my uPnP server on my Synology 216+II NAS, feeding my streaming devices including my KDS/1, and like you I connect all of my streaming kit to network switches that are connected to my router.

Main: Michell Orbe/Tecnoarm/Dynavector DV20X2;Trigon Advance; Linn Klimax DS/1; Lindemann 830S; Lindemann 858; Magnepan 3.6R; TQ UB; Synology DS216+II
AV: Sonore microRendu/Teddy Pardo 7v PS/Gustard U12/Hugo DAC; Krell Showcase Pre/Pwr; Ruark Solstice/Prologue/Dialogue/REL Storm II
2017-11-13, 01:48
Synology here as well. I run Minimserver on the NAS and have Minimstreamer transcoding all files to WAV 24 bit. Music from my NAS sounds fantastic, 16/44 from Tidal and Qobuz sound very good but not quite as good as files, and Spotify, when I tried it, sounded just ok: listenable but flat and not nearly as good as the other options. I dropped it.

1) Sonus Faber Amati Futura; Klimax Katalyst DSM; D’Agostino Momentum S250; Rega RP10 w/Aphelion & Linn Uphorik; Shunyata Denali, ICs, SCs & PCs
2) Luxman SQ-N100, PSB Imagine Mini, AR XA (refurbished), Klimax DSM Renew, Shunyata PS8, Nordost ICs & PCs, Acoustic Zen Secs
2017-11-13, 07:14
(2017-11-12 22:27)ac16161 Wrote:  Have started a trial of Spotify Premium and I'm a bit bemused: sound is noticeably clearer and detailed compared to equivalent downloads played from my NAS. I had no prior bias to expect that, in fact quite the opposite. All my kit has a wired connection to a switch which then comnects on to the router. Any other Syno users here who have experience of this? Am aware of the controversy around saying that different NAS's can sound different, but on this basis my Syno is not revealing my KDS3 at its best. And for the first time, I'm taking subscription audio seriously.

If they are equivalent downloads, do you mean the same format? ie. are you comparing mp3 with mp3? In which case, the change in SQ could (very possibly) be down to your NAS. Try a Jitterbug and see if that helps.
If the spotify sounds better than lossless versions, I would be very surprised!

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-11-13, 08:04
(2017-11-13 07:14)timster Wrote:  
(2017-11-12 22:27)ac16161 Wrote:  Have started a trial of Spotify Premium and I'm a bit bemused: sound is noticeably clearer and detailed compared to equivalent downloads played from my NAS. I had no prior bias to expect that, in fact quite the opposite. All my kit has a wired connection to a switch which then comnects on to the router. Any other Syno users here who have experience of this? Am aware of the controversy around saying that different NAS's can sound different, but on this basis my Syno is not revealing my KDS3 at its best. And for the first time, I'm taking subscription audio seriously.

If they are equivalent downloads, do you mean the same format? ie. are you comparing mp3 with mp3? In which case, the change in SQ could (very possibly) be down to your NAS. Try a Jitterbug and see if that helps.
If the spotify sounds better than lossless versions, I would be very surprised!

I wouldn't be surprised at all, I would be amazed.

I watch the waves roll in and roll out just the same