Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-13, 13:41 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / dBpoweramp rubbish, any alternative?

dBpoweramp rubbish, any alternative?
2017-11-13, 23:04
dBpoweramp rubbish, any alternative?
I have a streaming system and I'm ripping CDs to a NAS drive. I'm using dBpoweramp, as it was recommended by the guys at Linn.

However, it is totally rubbish. Before my Linn and NAS system I simply used iTunes and I never had a problem ripping CDs into iTunes, my entire CD collection is in there.

But, ripping with dBpoweramp is proving useless. It only rips about 7 to 8 out of every 10 CDs, chucking out 'Inaccuracy' codes. All my CDs are brand new without even a fingerprint on them, I'm fastidious about that sort of thing. Besides, all these CDs imported into iTunes without a glitch, only dBpoweramp has an issue with them.

So, is there an alternative to the 'twitchy' dBpoweramp that I can use to rip my CDs to FLAC files for my NAS.

I'm on a Mac, obviously.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-11-13, 23:27
RE: dBpoweramp rubbish, any alternative?
while I hardly ever rip CDs these days I've always found dBpoweramp to be superb, these days I use it all the time for format conversion. Excellent support as well. Constructive posts to the site's forum get constructive replies in my experience.
Find all posts by this user
2017-11-13, 23:31
Something far wrong here.

I have ripped a thousand or so CDs to my NAS using dBpoweramp, and can probably count the number of problem discs I have encountered on the fingers of one hand. dBpoweramp works for me pretty flawlessly on my Windows 10 PC.

By the way, there is an option in dBpoweramp which allows you to rip in 'Burst' mode which ignores most errors. I have only had to use this mode on a small handful of discs , but it is there if you need it. I suspect that iTunes appears to be better in your experience simply because, unlike dBpoweramp, it does not attempt to identify and repair any faults that are not sufficient to make the disc absolutely unplayable. You may get similar results by setting the 'ripping method' in dBpoweramp options to 'Burst' mode.

Main: Michell Orbe/Tecnoarm/Dynavector DV20X2;Trigon Advance; Linn Klimax DS/1; Lindemann 830S; Lindemann 858; Magnepan 3.6R; TQ UB; Synology DS216+II
AV: Sonore microRendu/Teddy Pardo 7v PS/Gustard U12/Hugo DAC; Krell Showcase Pre/Pwr; Ruark Solstice/Prologue/Dialogue/REL Storm II
2017-11-13, 23:36
I have been using dbPoweramp for several years, first on a pc and then on a Mac. I’ve found it to be the best ripper out there, and you’ll probably find a lot of others here who also swear by it. DbPoweramp verifies rips by comparing them to the AccurateRip (http://www.accuraterip.com) database. If you’re getting inaccuracy errors, then it may be a defective disc, but it may also be an error in the rip or the writing, something your drive is doing. For instance I find with my Mac universal external drive I get the occasional error, but if I use my Samsung drive I get fewer errors. Have you tried re-ripping the discs to see if you get the same errors?

iTunes doesn’t use the AccurateRip system and therefore simply isn’t verifying your rips. It may well be that you have errors in your iTunes rips and just don’t know it, because iTunes isn’t checking them against anything. iTunes is built for convenience and speed, not accuracy or sound quality.

The other option is XLD, although it’s a little more difficult to use. It also uses AccurateRip, and its free, so you could also try ripping the same discs using XLD to see if you get the same errors.

You can, of course, just continue to rip using iTunes. Just change your iTunes ripping preferences to ALAC to get Apple lossless format.

1) Sonus Faber Amati Futura; Klimax Katalyst DSM; D’Agostino Momentum S250; Rega RP10 w/Aphelion & Linn Uphorik; Shunyata Denali, ICs, SCs & PCs
2) Luxman SQ-N100, PSB Imagine Mini, AR XA (refurbished), Klimax DSM Renew, Shunyata PS8, Nordost ICs & PCs, Acoustic Zen Secs
2017-11-13, 23:49
Antonmb, thanks for reply.

In answer to that, I am using a new iMac with an Apple external CD drive and I never had an issue importing into iTunes, as previously stated. I don't have any errors in my iTunes rips as they all play back fine, so I do know it. iTunes has proved to be 100 per cent accurate in ripping other a thousand CDs, yet with dBpoweramp I havn't even got to 100 CDs yet, and I'm looking at pile of 16 CDs out of those that dBpoweramp can't rip.

I have dBpoweramp set to 'Burst' mode, yet it still chucks 2 out of every 10 discs out. There are loads of other settings that I've left at default as they are too damn complicated. But it just isn't working for me. Also, a lot of CDs I put in, by default, it comes up with a different artist and different list of songs altogether? WTF??? I have to then delete the artist, album title and change them and then change all the song titles that are incorrect too, it is doing this 2 out of 10 discs on average too.

I can't use iTunes for ripping to my new NAS system as I want FLAC, not ALAC.
2017-11-14, 00:20
I am as confused as the other posters MrWriter. I have used it for years and 1000’s of CD rips and it’s only failed on a handful of CDs and due to damage on the disk.

The neat thing about it has been that it points out the errors rather than ignore them and leave you with unknown errors but if so many of your cds are failing it sounds as if something more fundamental is awry. Ideally, if you have a second computer around I would just check and see what happens on that with a disk that failed on your Mac, or maybe a computer of a friend/relation? CD drives can have issues/differences sometimes but I wouldn’t jump to any conclusions. Having tried that. I would post on the DBPoweramp forum and you will get good support. I think I can confidently say the problem isn’t typical and the software is widely used with few problems, so you can remain optimistic there will be an explanation.

Good luck. If your iTunes conversions are lossless already then one option is to use the software to convert those files, but I doubt that is the case is it?
2017-11-14, 00:22 (This post was last modified: 2017-11-14 00:23 by DavidHB.)
I don't need to add to what others have said in support of dBpoweramp, except that my experience is similar to theirs.

Ditching dBpoweramp when it throws up errors serves only to shoot the messenger so you can ignore the message. A large number of faulty rips indicates that there may be something wrong with the optical drive. If you are using AccurateRip (the dBpoweramp default), the CD is in its database (which most are) and you are getting errors, the rip will certainly be bad in some way. It will be bad in iTunes too, but more than likely iTunes won't know that.

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
2017-11-14, 00:29
Ok, I am using a genuine Apple CD drive (not sure who makes what's inside it), but I'm only questioning dBpoweramp as iTunes never missed a beat. However, I'm starting to get the impression that iTunes has imported a load of discs with errors, even though they still play fine when streamed, and dBpoweramp does a better and more thorough job. With this in mind, if I bought another external CD drive would it make any difference?

Also, there are some settings in dBpoweramp that I just don't understand. Such as: Add DSP..., Load..., Create Profile, what does that do? Then in Preferences, the Query ripping with AccurateRip, Cross Pressing verification. Then the 'When Ripping rip to (Rip to '._'files, rename album at end) and so on and so forth. I have no idea what this is and there is no manual that explains it anywhere. Are any of these settings screwing things up?
2017-11-14, 00:33 (This post was last modified: 2017-11-14 00:34 by TomBL.)
Might be your optical drive.
I have had to clean a proportion of my CDs. Proprietary glass cleaner with appropriate tissue.

Home: Akurate DSM, Ikemi, Oppo BDP-95, LK140 x 3, Aktiv Keilidh x 2, Paradigm Servo-15, Pioneer PDP-LX6090.
Somewhere in Southern Europe: Sneaky DS, Pioneer BDP-LX70A, Yamaha A-S5000/A, EB Acoustics EB1 x 2 and a telly.
2017-11-14, 07:15 (This post was last modified: 2017-11-14 07:16 by Tin.)
I use Exakt Audio Copy as I came across that first, but I have to agree with the other responders;
Whatever the issue is you are having, it is very, very unlikely to be dBPoweramp.
If it complains about rips, it is either the CD or the drive acting up, but if it complains something is wrong, it is doing that for a valid reason.

I can imagine that iTunes doesn't use AkurateRip to compare your results with that from others, and that would mean that iTunes wouldn't be complaining where dBPoweramp is.
Does that mean that iTunes serves you less than perfect rips? Well, yes, it might, but it doesn't mean the difference has to be audible. I have a few tracks in my collection that weren't ripped perfectly even after a zillion retries. I couldn't hear anything wrong with them so I just accepted them.

My educated guess it is your CD drive. Either is always was less than perfect, or it is slightly detoriating now.

Tin can telephone system.