Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-08-16, 18:25 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / Kazoo won't play tracks in order --- sometimes

Kazoo won't play tracks in order --- sometimes
2017-12-08, 18:16
RE: Kazoo won't play tracks in order --- sometimes
To sum up all the confusion, the problem that is here mentioned has nothing to do with correct tagging. It is a well known problem of the Twonky Media server and it occurs only when you browse by Folder view, in the folder view of twonky server the tracks of a "CD" are presented in alphabetical order not in the correct order of the tracks that are on the CD.
When you browse by Artist or Album or whatever everything is fine. It can be solved but it is complicated (you must have root access on your NAS and add text in an xml file). Best way is, as recommended here, installing a better server software.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-12-08, 18:30
It seems there are two lines of thought here: 1) the problem is Twonky and switching to Minimserver would take care of that; and 2) the problem is tagging and if I take the files that will take care of the problem. Or do I need to both switch to Minimserver and run a tagging program?

I've got everything on my NAS backed up on an external hard drive and (I think) also two copies of it on my NAS. So it makes good sense to me that finding a better backup solution can wait.

Perhaps the most basic starting point issue for me is that I don't know how to access my NAS or Twonky from my mac. Neither shows up in Qfinder, though something must be running that sends the music to my DS. Kazoo shows all files in folder mode in alphabetical order, but many files don't show up in artist/album mode though they do show up in the correct track order.

I'm in the US, in Colorado Springs. I haven't heard of folks nearby on this board, but maybe there are some people. I'd also be happy to call anyone anywhere by phone for help if that's a possibility.

At least I'm able to listen to most of my music and not go insane from deprivation while I figure this out.

Tom

Renew DS, Axis TT, KK, 2250, Vienna Acoustics Mahlers
2017-12-08, 22:14
(2017-12-08 18:30)Tpy Wrote:  It seems there are two lines of thought here: 1) the problem is Twonky and switching to Minimserver would take care of that; and 2) the problem is tagging and if I take the files that will take care of the problem. Or do I need to both switch to Minimserver and run a tagging program?

As you see the files in the correct order when not using folder view, the track numbers are presumably already there in the tags.

In this case, all you need to do is to switch to MinimServer. MinimServer uses track number tags (if present in the files) to show the files in the correct order in both album view and folder view.
2017-12-09, 08:20
(2017-12-08 22:14)simoncn Wrote:  
(2017-12-08 18:30)Tpy Wrote:  It seems there are two lines of thought here: 1) the problem is Twonky and switching to Minimserver would take care of that; and 2) the problem is tagging and if I take the files that will take care of the problem. Or do I need to both switch to Minimserver and run a tagging program?

As you see the files in the correct order when not using folder view, the track numbers are presumably already there in the tags.

In this case, all you need to do is to switch to MinimServer. MinimServer uses track number tags (if present in the files) to show the files in the correct order in both album view and folder view.

Sometimes I think I'm invisible! Wink
I said this many posts ago. The main symptom strongly suggests the tags are correct, but the filenames aren't. I think the other symptom of only some tracks being visible is something else.
So, once you have got access to your NAS, you'll be able to see the filenames and I am willing to bet that they will be of the form "song1.flac", when they really should be "01 - song1.flac". MP3Tag has a very useful feature to use the tags to create the filenames, but for so many albums, that will take forever Sad
Using Minim will solve the symptom, but not the underlying problem.

♫ ♫ Akurate EDSM | AEBox10 [on Custom Design iRAPs] | M6100+2100 | Majik 140 [on alu stands] | REL T5
♫ ♫ Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-12-15, 16:17 (This post was last modified: 2017-12-15 19:09 by JohnNick72.)
You may have this sorted already, but....

Since you cannot see the QNap, can you access your files directly your backup media? The eventual solution you seek, either adding Minimserver or re-tagging some/all files, will still be required, but at least this could allow you to confirm the root cause(s).

Cheers,

John

HiFi Room: ADSM, Pro-Ject Turntable, 8x100D Aktiv M140, & 2-SVS PB13 Ultra | Master: MDSM, PS Audio S300, Dynaudio Focus 160 | Office: Sneaky DSM, C4200D, Aktiv Katan | Living: ADS, PS Audio M700, Dynaudio Focus 160 | Dining: Kiko | Fitness: MDSI, C5100, 4 x 104c-s, & SVS SB2000 | QNAP TS-251+
2017-12-19, 19:50
I thought an update on my tagging problem is in order, in the hopes that it might help others who encounter this. I think it's mostly sorted out now though I still have more to learn.

The first thing I needed to do was update the software/firmware on my NAS and everything else that is part of the network. This all started when I updated my iPhone software, which made it a poor match with Kazoo and unable to work at all with Songbook.

Then I need to find out how to access my NAS on my computer. This was all installed by a dealer (who no longer handles Linn) 7 years ago. And I learned that IP addresses for my NAS change when the NAS is rebooted. Eamon pointed me toward Fing, a nifty app that gives IP addresses for everything on one's network, and I was then able to communicate with the NAS on the internet interface.

Up until then I was able to play music but the system was very unstable, showed only some albums, out of track order, and would freeze often. I'm not entirely certain, but I think my old Twonky software was corrupted an no longer functioning.

So I downloaded and installed Minimserver on my NAS, very easily, from the Qnap interact under all apps. That required installing Minimwatch on my computer to access Minimserver on the NAS.

Then a reboot of my iPhone and I was back in business: all albums showing, including different versions of the same music, in track order, with multiple disk sets showing up in correct order rather than all the Track 1s, 3s, etc.

I'm still exploring the new interface it's looking good so far. I see there are a variety of options for setting up minim server, under preferences and other menu tabs. Any suggestions about best practices for this?

I really appreciate the help so many of you provided. Almost all of it makes sense (at least at a superficial level) to me now. I can't thank you enough. So nice to just kick back and listen to the music again!

Tom[/i]

Renew DS, Axis TT, KK, 2250, Vienna Acoustics Mahlers
2017-12-19, 21:50 (This post was last modified: 2017-12-19 21:51 by DavidHB.)
(2017-12-19 19:50)Tpy Wrote:  So nice to just kick back and listen to the music again!

Yes, that's what it's all really about. I'm glad that things are sorted and MinimServer is working well for you.

As regards the 'best' way to set up MinimServer, there is no such thing. How you want to access your music is your choice, and MinimServer is there to help you do what you want. If there are particular ways in which you wish to browse the music, we can often provide pointers from our experience (and the MinimServer forum is also active and helpful).

The first, very simple step is to think what tags you might like to browse by, and make sure that those tags are listed in the indexTags property. MinimServer is clever enough to let you browse by any tag in that list in any feasible order. From there I would use the very clear and comprehensive User Guide on the MinimServer website to explore the range of features available. If a feature takes your fancy, experiment with it; you can always put things back as they were.

Enjoy exploring!

David

Main system: [LP12* > Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III CD player >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10/1 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks.
*LP12: 1987 fluted plinth; Cirkus; Lingo 4; Trampolin; Kore; Basik Plus arm; K5 cartridge, Paratrace stylus.

Second system: Kiko.
2017-12-20, 08:45
Tpy Wrote:Then I need to find out how to access my NAS on my computer. This was all installed by a dealer (who no longer handles Linn) 7 years ago. And I learned that IP addresses for my NAS change when the NAS is rebooted. Eamon pointed me toward Fing, a nifty app that gives IP addresses for everything on one's network, and I was then able to communicate with the NAS on the internet interface.

The other (and probably easiest) alternative is to reserve all your devices' IP addresses in the router (particularly DS and NAS). This will mean they will always have the same address and never change. It is quite straightforward to do, but depends on the router software.

Tpy Wrote:I'm still exploring the new interface it's looking good so far. I see there are a variety of options for setting up minim server, under preferences and other menu tabs. Any suggestions about best practices for this?

There is actually a whole thread on this here:

https://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.php?tid=35252

Good luck!

♫ ♫ Akurate EDSM | AEBox10 [on Custom Design iRAPs] | M6100+2100 | Majik 140 [on alu stands] | REL T5
♫ ♫ Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user