Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-16, 06:25 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / change dsm chassis

change dsm chassis
2017-11-16, 02:03 (This post was last modified: 2017-11-16 02:04 by rumnyc.)
change dsm chassis
I have two linn DSMs. one is black dsm/1 (2012 hdmi) and one is silver DSM/1 (2012 but with exakt and hdmi2 upgrade).

For aesthetic reason that I don't want to get into, i need my exakt one to be black and the black dsm/1 to be siver. How hard or easy is it to swap the cases?

Note that I bought these a while back and moved to another country with no linn dealer near me. i am however quite handy with the screw driver--i have opened linn amps and dsms before to swap aktiv boards. i have also assembled countless PCs with overclocking back in the day.

System 1: Devialet Le Expert 220 | Audio Physic Tempo 25
System 2: Linn Majik DSM/1 | Audio Physic Step 25+
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-11-16, 07:11
RE: change dsm chassis
I can't really say, but my experience is the following:

Every Linn box that I have opened so far had a somewhat different design. Sometimes you remove the lid to the back, sometimes to the front, and the shape of the lid is different every time as well.

I also know that when I used Linn upgrade offer to upgrade my ADS to an ADSM I got a different case as well because the layout of the backplate differed so much that the new ADSM wouldn't fit in the old casing.

So, not all Linn boxes are physically equal even though they may appear to be very similar from the outside. So it seems that Linn prefers to make small changes on the cases rather than trying to change the shape/size of the circuitboards to make things fit.
My conclusion is: I very much doubt it will work, but you might be lucky.

Tin can telephone system.
2017-11-16, 10:37
all i want to do is change the slide out top (which is easy to open) and swap out with a few screw. i opened it once to install aktiv cards. however, when i swap the top case, the from fascia with the screen is fixed. what i need to know is how to change that....

System 1: Devialet Le Expert 220 | Audio Physic Tempo 25
System 2: Linn Majik DSM/1 | Audio Physic Step 25+
2017-11-16, 15:35 (This post was last modified: 2017-11-16 15:36 by sunbeamgls.)
They should have identical casework. So the only challenge may be how the display is mounted.

I've never been inside an Akurate DSM/1, but typically Linn will have the outer sleeve as one part (easy to remove by removing the screws underneath and sliding off) and the front panel as another part - usually multiple screws attaching the panel to the chassis along the lower long edge and up each end panel. If the display is physically separate to the front panel, then it should be easy to swap over the front panels too. Just be aware that the display probably needs to stay with the device as there are sometimes software version dependencies that I can't pretend to understand, although that might be limited to the display vs no display of the Renew boxes. The modern stuff seems to use Torx bolts rather than screws or allen bolts of the earlier designs.

So, it shouldn't be too bad, but your warranty will be void, etc. Don't forget to earth the cases and yourself when you're doing this stuff, and of course they should be disconnected from the mains.

If you're clumsy you might get hurt. I expect there are a myriad of other H&S warnings you should think about too. Etc. Smile

Main: AK/0/D; AEDSM; MeiCord AExaktbox10; Silvers 2x A4200/1; K400 NSL Exakt dual-mono PMC Twenty.26; Twenty.C; Blacks AV5125 PMC Twenty.21
Playroom: SBT; V-DAC1; Cyrus6; M773e
Garage: SBT/Rega DAC; Arcam AVR100; 2x AV5125; Aktiv Ninkas, Trikan, AVSeKretan
www.audiophilemusings.co.uk