Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-14, 19:56 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / Don't fully understand "Digital Features" in Konfig

Don't fully understand "Digital Features" in Konfig
2017-11-26, 11:57
Don't fully understand "Digital Features" in Konfig
Hi,

I am Dutch and this morning Sinterklaas dropped a Sneaky DSM into my shoe. Or actually, it is on loan and nice to play with. How about streaming a delicate analogue signal in 192/24, how transparent is this?

I was trying this setup:

1. analogue source (vinyl)
2. MC phono input of my Akurate DSM
3. Akurate DSM volume control off and line output to pre-amp on AUX2
4. Sneaky DSM volume control off and line output to pre-amp on AUX1
5. Pre-amp to Klimax Twin, etc.

The Akurate and Sneaky are latest model, the Sneaky being new as in "purchased new in 2017". As expected they sync nicely with Songcast.

Some observations:

a) to line-level match the Akurate with the Sneaky, the Akurate needs the output attenuation set to -12 dB.
b) Akurate and Sneaky are very close in performance level, when used as a streaming source with an external pre-amp (much closer than expected)
c) I could live with a digitized 192/24

In Konfig one can set digital features of the phono input to on or off:

Code:
Selecting On allows SPACE optimisation to be applied, audio to be
available to other devices via songcast and video sync delays to be applied.
Selecting Off allows an analog bypass audio path.

When selecting digital features = off, I am expecting the SongCast to stop working. However, all that happens is that the audio is briefly muted, and the SongCast from ADSM to SneakyDSM just continues. Also the audio signature doesn't change, where previously I was hearing sonical benefits of a pure analog path.

Is it correct that SongCast remains working? Or is the setting not being applied correctly in this setup? Maybe because there is an active SongCast listener?

Main: ADSM/1, KCT/1, Rogers Monitor 8.0
Bedroom: Raspberry PI, AQ Dragonfly 1.2, '96 Majik-I, ('active') Citronic ST-5
Workroom: iMac, NuForce HDP, Klout, Mission M31
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-11-26, 15:37
RE: Don't fully understand "Digital Features" in Konfig
I think the digital feature setting only affects if SPACE will be applied or not, i.e., nothing to do with Songcast.

/HansBertil
2017-11-27, 16:45
(2017-11-26 11:57)piolinn Wrote:  When selecting digital features = off, I am expecting the SongCast to stop working. However, all that happens is that the audio is briefly muted, and the SongCast from ADSM to SneakyDSM just continues. Also the audio signature doesn't change, where previously I was hearing sonical benefits of a pure analog path.

With digital features OFF, songcast will still work, but may not be synchronised. In this case there is a purely analog path between turntable and output
With digital features ON, songcast will work and be in-sync. In this case the audio on the analog outs will have been digitised between source and output.
2017-12-01, 14:02
(2017-11-27 16:45)rockfather Wrote:  
(2017-11-26 11:57)piolinn Wrote:  When selecting digital features = off, I am expecting the SongCast to stop working. However, all that happens is that the audio is briefly muted, and the SongCast from ADSM to SneakyDSM just continues. Also the audio signature doesn't change, where previously I was hearing sonical benefits of a pure analog path.

With digital features OFF, songcast will still work, but may not be synchronised. In this case there is a purely analog path between turntable and output
With digital features ON, songcast will work and be in-sync. In this case the audio on the analog outs will have been digitised between source and output.

Thank you!

I have re-executed this expirement now, with a slightly different result. The SongCast does indeed work as you describe. In my second run, I can hear the different (better) sound signature of the analogue path, and the out-of-syncness as you describe is quite clear.

I can only conclude my first experiment must have been flawed somehow. I think that for whatever reason the digital features on/off was not working properly.

Or else, in my second attempt I have been listening more relaxed, which is probably a better frame of mind to do these kinds of experiments.

However, to be honest, my expectation was for the 192/24 AD-DA step to be much more transparent, or even fully transparent. I'd like to hear opinions from forum members on that. :-)

Main: ADSM/1, KCT/1, Rogers Monitor 8.0
Bedroom: Raspberry PI, AQ Dragonfly 1.2, '96 Majik-I, ('active') Citronic ST-5
Workroom: iMac, NuForce HDP, Klout, Mission M31