Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-14, 19:56 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / Analogue difference on the DSM

Analogue difference on the DSM
2017-11-27, 13:16
Analogue difference on the DSM
I hope you can help me with something.

I was listening to the same piece of music on cd / flac and lp. I know this recording very well and it is of a high quality (The Chandos recording of the Rachmaninovs pianotrios by the Borodin Trio, recording in the 80s).

There was a big difference. I'm asking this question, because streaming and flac are relatively new to me, and I wonder where the problem is located.

It seems like flac most of all, but also cd miss a large part of the overtones. It creates a bit of sharpish, cut off sound in the strings.

For the LP is am using the LP12, connected to the dsm, so it is using a digital circuit. I suppose that means at least part of the old digital vs analogue discussion is not needed here.
The cd is delivered by the Ikemi, but connected using a toslink. So I'm using the dac of the dsm.
Flac is delivered by a qnap via the network. I use xld for cd ripping.

Does anybody here have experience with this, and is there something that I can do better?

LP12・Ekos・Adikt・Lingo・Ikemi・Majik DSM・LK Aktiv system・Keilidhs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-11-27, 13:57
RE: Analogue difference on the DSM
Could be different masterings. If both the CD and the Flac exhibit the same lack of overtones that is the most likely explanation.

Try with different recordings and pieces of music and see if you have similar experiences.

http://www.last.fm/user/mcgillroy

MDSM/2 - 6100/D - active Kabers - Nubert 441w sub + Qobuz Sublime.
Find all posts by this user
2017-11-27, 14:38
With a Lingo and Ekos, your LP12 is a great turntable and would be considered a better source than a Majik streamer. Does your LP12 have Cirkus or subchassis upgrade?

As mcgillroy said, try other recordings, if the difference is isolated to a few of your recordings it could be as he said, differences in masterings.

If you find a vast difference in all comparisons and want to close the gap, consider moving up to Akurate level streaming. Cd's will never catch up.

Gary

LP12/Cirkus/Radikal/Kore/Ekos1/Tkable balanced/Uphorik/Krystal/ADSM/1/aktiv Akubariks
2017-11-27, 15:57 (This post was last modified: 2017-11-27 15:57 by dikki.)
Thank you for your reactions!

I've used a Ikemi/ Wakonda before, and that didn't have the problem. I think most of the difference is the streamer, as I've noted this behaviour in different recordings as well.

I'm reasonably sure it has the Cirkus upgrade.

2017-11-27, 16:26
(2017-11-27 15:57)dikki Wrote:  Thank you for your reactions!

I've used a Ikemi/ Wakonda before, and that didn't have the problem. I think most of the difference is the streamer, as I've noted this behaviour in different recordings as well.

I'm reasonably sure it has the Cirkus upgrade.

Then the next question I have is "How did you rip the cd's, what program?"

Gary

LP12/Cirkus/Radikal/Kore/Ekos1/Tkable balanced/Uphorik/Krystal/ADSM/1/aktiv Akubariks
2017-11-27, 16:52 (This post was last modified: 2017-11-27 16:53 by dikki.)
(2017-11-27 16:26)bettermusic Wrote:  Then the next question I have is "How did you rip the cd's, what program?"

Hi Gary,

I've used Xld on the Mac, using accuraterip as verification.

2017-11-27, 23:45
XLD is superb - I ripped all my CDs with it.

Digital Juke Box & KLP12 into KK/1D+KCT through SD9s
MDSM3 through MG12s
2017-11-28, 13:25
Try reripping the track in either Wav lossless or ALAC lossless and compare. Someone I respect highly only rips in ALAC as he is convinced it sounds more musical with more richness.

KR
The Flatearther
Peter Swain Moonburst Wenge No.57 Klimax LP12 - Linn Kandid - Linn KDS - Naim 52 / 250 amps - Linn Isobariks.
2017-11-28, 14:37
XLD does a good job, if there's a difference ripping to a different format, it's subtle and you're describing a rather large difference.

Do you find this large difference on most recordings?

Gary

2017-11-28, 20:48 (This post was last modified: 2017-11-28 20:53 by Wat.)
(2017-11-28 13:25)The Flatearther Wrote:  Try reripping the track in either Wav lossless or ALAC lossless and compare. Someone I respect highly only rips in ALAC as he is convinced it sounds more musical with more richness.

ALAC,WAV & FLAC PCM data are identical unless the ripper or renderer is broken. You can show this by getting XLD to convert to PCM from these formats & bit comparing results. So a DAC will have the same data in its buffer. It should sound the same. You can easily convert between formats with XLD & listen for a difference. I prefer FLAC as files are smaller & tagging seems well sorted. I have never heard any difference between them. However, it’s easy enough to try if you think there could be a difference.

All the best, Wat

Digital Juke Box & KLP12 into KK/1D+KCT through SD9s
MDSM3 through MG12s