Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-02-25, 00:56 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / Davaar Beta 60.192 DSD Katalyst

Davaar Beta 60.192 DSD Katalyst
2017-12-06, 16:48
RE: Davaar Beta 60.192 DSD Katalyst
Two free DSD downloads in DSD64 and DSD128, perfect for testing the DSD capabilities of the DS:

http://shop.dsdfile.com/free-dsd-download/

Matt

LP12 / Exposure / JBL3677
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-12-06, 17:04
(2017-12-05 22:44)BB1 Wrote:  
(2017-12-04 15:02)mcgillroy Wrote:  DSD-questions aside - has this beta been problem free for those who installed it?

Still on Davaar 59.185 here which sounds sublime and runs hassle free except for airport-issues. The latter seem to be fixed in the beta hence I am considering to upgrade.

To me it has been problem free, but your milage may vary, as your setup is totally different from mine. E.g. the KEB’s/1 beta firmware release v 12.0 worked flawlessly for me in my dual-mono setup, whilst it broke the output for a lot of people using only one KEB/1 in their stereo setup.

Hence my recommendation is to try it out for yourself and revert to the official release or any other beta version working for you, if you're facing problems.

Thx! Gave it a spin, all smooth and no sound difference to my ears.

http://www.last.fm/user/mcgillroy

Kudos - MDSM/2 - 6100/D - Chakra active Kabers - Nubert 441w sub + Qobuz Sublime.
2018-01-08, 09:50
Has anyone gotten DSD to play nice through Roon? I used the workaround using the UPnP bridge through a SonicTransporter to make Roon work.

So, without knowing of the update - I'm software version 4.60.193 - I read this thread and tried to get DSD to work with the setting DSD over DoP in Roon. All I got was hiss and some very soft music.

Strange or not so strange?

(By the way, I'm not into DSD, per se, only when there are unique masterings of certain recordings that you can only get via DSD. Otherwise, really? I've never been able to hear much of a difference between well recorded music via PCM versus DSD. I think when most people are talking a difference, they are saying DSD is subjectively better, mostly because they are hearing a different mastering job.)
2018-01-08, 10:09
(2018-01-08 09:50)EVOLVIST Wrote:  I think when most people are talking a difference, they are saying DSD is subjectively better, mostly because they are hearing a different mastering job.
That, and the fact that playback of DSD takes a different hardware route, so effectively you are testing other hardware as well, even when only using one device.
This explains imho the reason that every test yields different results, depending on the preference of the DAC.

I'm sure the AKM Katalyst DACs will be very good at playback of DSD, but SO is, in my room anyway, a much bigger factor than a DAC could ever be, so DSD would always lose from PCM when I would do the comparison.

Tin can telephone system.
2018-01-08, 10:19
(2018-01-08 09:50)EVOLVIST Wrote:  Has anyone gotten DSD to play nice through Roon? I used the workaround using the UPnP bridge through a SonicTransporter to make Roon work.

So, without knowing of the update - I'm software version 4.60.193 - I read this thread and tried to get DSD to work with the setting DSD over DoP in Roon. All I got was hiss and some very soft music.

Strange or not so strange?
Not so strange. The DS only supports DSD playback from .dsf or .dff files. DoP (DSD over PCM) is not currently supported and will be played as if it were a standard PCM stream.
2018-01-08, 11:19
(2018-01-08 10:19)murrays Wrote:  Not so strange. The DS only supports DSD playback from .dsf or .dff files. DoP (DSD over PCM) is not currently supported and will be played as if it were a standard PCM stream.

Thanks for the reply. Hmmm... I'm playing .dsf files, but when it shows up in Roon the only other option is to convert DSD to PCM, so if not DoP, then nothing has changed it would seem, because converting to PCM still shows it as a degredated process. There's some sort of loss, but I'm not sure if it's even audible.

I've just shied away from DSD after buying my KDS/3, but now I'd like to hear my files. I'm just not sure I'm getting a lossless path. Not sure if it's more piece of mind, over what my ears can hear.
2018-01-08, 11:40
(2018-01-08 11:19)EVOLVIST Wrote:  
(2018-01-08 10:19)murrays Wrote:  Not so strange. The DS only supports DSD playback from .dsf or .dff files. DoP (DSD over PCM) is not currently supported and will be played as if it were a standard PCM stream.

Thanks for the reply. Hmmm... I'm playing .dsf files, but when it shows up in Roon the only other option is to convert DSD to PCM, so if not DoP, then nothing has changed it would seem, because converting to PCM still shows it as a degredated process. There's some sort of loss, but I'm not sure if it's even audible.

I've just shied away from DSD after buying my KDS/3, but now I'd like to hear my files. I'm just not sure I'm getting a lossless path. Not sure if it's more piece of mind, over what my ears can hear.

This sounds like a restriction within Roon. You should be able to play .dsf files from a uPnP media server such as KazooServer or MinimServer.
2018-01-08, 15:46 (This post was last modified: 2018-01-08 15:47 by matthias.)
(2018-01-08 11:40)murrays Wrote:  This sounds like a restriction within Roon. You should be able to play .dsf files from a uPnP media server such as KazooServer or MinimServer.

+1,
Audirvana 3.x should be able too.
Has someone tested?

Matt

LP12 / Exposure / JBL3677
2018-01-08, 16:30
I prefer software that does not decode dsd, because it sounds better.
  I also do not see any future interest in the DSD.
Since a few days ago I use QOBUZ, and IMHO sounds very good and does not use, nor will I use DSD, that I think will be my future.
  P.S.
  I listen to Linn Klimax DS from the first version, and I'm fascinated with the improvement to Katalyst.
  But as the improvements in the digital source, I think they are the most significant in a well-adjusted system, I'm already thinking about the next ... maybe the power source, maybe the clock ... hehehehe
  Thank you very much.