Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-18, 00:23 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / Streaming Neil Young Archive?

Streaming Neil Young Archive?
2017-12-01, 21:55
Streaming Neil Young Archive?
Neil Young's archive went online today and so far I'm pretty impressed. Does anyone know how to stream this through a Linn DS or if that's possible? I'd think it would be similar to internet radio but it's not obvious to me how to do this -- or if it can be done.

If you like, Neil, you NEED to check this out!

http://www.neilyoungarchives.com/#/?_k=hyj2pe

Renew DS, Axis TT, KK, 2250, Vienna Acoustics Mahlers
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-12-01, 22:31 (This post was last modified: 2017-12-01 22:31 by andy2.)
RE: Streaming Neil Young Archive?
(2017-12-01 21:55)Tpy Wrote:  Neil Young's archive went online today and so far I'm pretty impressed. Does anyone know how to stream this through a Linn DS or if that's possible? I'd think it would be similar to internet radio but it's not obvious to me how to do this -- or if it can be done.

Streaming NYA Official Release Series 04, HARVEST in 96/24 via Qobuz Sublime right now - A OK.

Apple Power Mac G5 Server - Chord - AEDSM - Chord - AExaktbox10 - Linn Silvers - 4200 / 2x 3100 (5100 w 2 channels removed) - K400 / K600 crimped bananas - 242s Solid Stands
- Exaktbox Sub- Linn Silvers - 2x221 Sub
LP12 w Linn stuff & SmokeD LiD
2017-12-01, 22:48
(2017-12-01 21:55)Tpy Wrote:  Neil Young's archive went online today and so far I'm pretty impressed. Does anyone know how to stream this through a Linn DS or if that's possible? I'd think it would be similar to internet radio but it's not obvious to me how to do this -- or if it can be done.

Check out songcast, it streams from your laptop/PC to the DS. Good heads up wasn't aware of this.

I watch the waves roll in and roll out just the same
2017-12-01, 22:56
(2017-12-01 22:31)andy2 Wrote:  

Streaming NYA Official Release Series 04, HARVEST in 96/24 via Qobuz Sublime right now - A OK.

This is a different thing. It's a website Neil put up that will eventually have all of his recorded music available for streaming from that site -- much of it in high res. It's not all up yet but already has a lot of his music available there for streaming, along with videos, interviews, and various sorts of information from throughout his career. It's currently free and at some point will be a for pay subscription service. I've read conflict info about when it will become play for pay: January or June. If you're a Neil fan, you WANT TO CHECK THIS OUT! I'm especially looking forward to many of his unreleased aborted albums showing up there, which is supposed to happen at some point. The intro page on the site explains what this is and how it works:
http://www.neilyoungarchives.com/#/video...&_k=zm9sqy

2017-12-01, 23:05
If you're a Neil Young fan this website is a must. I've just had a quick look after reading the post and it really is good. The downside is that some of the music is streaming at 24/192/9216 which will be down graded with songcast. Not sure if there is way round, any ideas.

2017-12-01, 23:10
(2017-12-01 22:56)Tpy Wrote:  

This is a different thing. It's a website Neil put up that will eventually have all of his recorded music available for streaming from that site -- much of it in high res. It's not all up yet but already has a lot of his music available there for streaming, along with videos, interviews, and various sorts of information from throughout his career. It's currently free and at some point will be a for pay subscription service. I've read conflict info about when it will become play for pay: January or June. If you're a Neil fan, you WANT TO CHECK THIS OUT! I'm especially looking forward to many of his unreleased aborted albums showing up there, which is supposed to happen at some point. The intro page on the site explains what this is and how it works:

The very same masters are also available thru Quobuz for seamless hirez streaming on your Ds. Same Same. Just sain'. I can access the other content on my computer.

Apple Power Mac G5 Server - Chord - AEDSM - Chord - AExaktbox10 - Linn Silvers - 4200 / 2x 3100 (5100 w 2 channels removed) - K400 / K600 crimped bananas - 242s Solid Stands
2017-12-01, 23:37 (This post was last modified: 2017-12-01 23:37 by Ant_C.)
‘‘Tis on Tidal , I am downloading the 124 tracks just now, not sure about quality yet.

2017-12-01, 23:41 (This post was last modified: 2017-12-01 23:45 by Tpy.)
(2017-12-01 23:10)andy2 Wrote:  

The very same masters are also available thru Quobuz for seamless hirez streaming on your Ds. Same Same. Just sain'. I can access the other content on my computer.

True, but this new archive site has some unreleased material and at some point is supposed to have everything he recorded -- whether it goes that far is an open question at this point. I love Qobuz but so far have only been using Sublime and not Sublime +, which is required for high res streaming. I've shied away from going + because of comments some have made about it not having some of the high res material that they sell -- and I purchase a lot of big res downloads (too many). I agree, though, that Qobuz is great and has much (but not all) of this material.

Scooter --- Would Kazoo server do the same as Songcast but provide better streaming? I've been trying to download both from the Linn site and for some reason they're not showing up on my matchbook after I install them. I've never used Songfest before and am not very slick with computers. Do I need Konfig and Davaar on my laptop in order for Songcast or Kazoo Server to work? I guess I can try on my desktop computer which is where I have Konfig.

2017-12-02, 09:56
I’m not technically minded so not sure if Kazoo would work. In the old days I used a DS bridge, which I still have on an old laptop. The bridge is basically like songcast but I hope that it would stream at the rate of the website. It’s been some years since I used it but I will give it a go over the weekend. The ultimate would be for Linn to incorporate a tile within Kazoo like they do with Tidal and Quboz. I may write to them with the suggestion. I tried the site quickly last night and was really impressed not just with the site but the fact that a musician is putting all his work into one place with free access. I would like to think it’s a thank you to his fans who have supported him throughout his working life.
I would also recommend Quboz Sublime+, yes there are some albums that are not in high res but I think most are. It’s down to the artist or the label. If you are still buying (as I am) then the savings will pay for the streaming. Neil’s albums do stream in high res but I think the site is going to put unreleased material on it.

2017-12-02, 11:50
(2017-12-01 23:41)Tpy Wrote:  
(2017-12-01 23:10)andy2 Wrote:  

True, but this new archive site has some unreleased material and at some point is supposed to have everything he recorded -- whether it goes that far is an open question at this point. I love Qobuz but so far have only been using Sublime and not Sublime +, which is required for high res streaming. I've shied away from going + because of comments some have made about it not having some of the high res material that they sell -- and I purchase a lot of big res downloads (too many). I agree, though, that Qobuz is great and has much (but not all) of this material.

Scooter --- Would Kazoo server do the same as Songcast but provide better streaming? I've been trying to download both from the Linn site and for some reason they're not showing up on my matchbook after I install them. I've never used Songfest before and am not very slick with computers. Do I need Konfig and Davaar on my laptop in order for Songcast or Kazoo Server to work? I guess I can try on my desktop computer which is where I have Konfig.

I forgot to add the +.. of course...
I find that most of the high rez material is available for streaming, but people do tend to find something to complain at.

Sorry to say but Songcast is not really a solution for high quality audio, it's an amenity. I have even disabled Songcast in my DSME as it has a negative effect on SQ.