Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-16, 06:19 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / Streaming Neil Young Archive?

Streaming Neil Young Archive?
2017-12-02, 17:38
RE: Streaming Neil Young Archive?
Scooter,
I’m very interested to see if you were able to get this to stream to your DS. I haven’t been able to get songcast to work thus far. I downloaded it and installed but I am not able to open it. I’ve tried it on both my desktop and laptop Mac computers. now I’m wondering if maybe the problem is that my Davaar software is about two years old. Does anyone know if you need more recent Davaar to run The current version of song cast?

Although only some of the music on the archive is currently online it seems to have a lot of potential and lists a lot of unreleased albums. I’ve been very impressed with the sound quality to my computer, I’d say the best sound quality I’ve ever gotten through a computer It will be interesting to see how this develops over time

Renew DS, Axis TT, KK, 2250, Vienna Acoustics Mahlers
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-12-02, 18:25
(2017-12-02 17:38)Tpy Wrote:  Scooter,
I’m very interested to see if you were able to get this to stream to your DS. I haven’t been able to get songcast to work thus far. I downloaded it and installed but I am not able to open it. I’ve tried it on both my desktop and laptop Mac computers. now I’m wondering if maybe the problem is that my Davaar software is about two years old. Does anyone know if you need more recent Davaar to run The current version of song cast?

Although only some of the music on the archive is currently online it seems to have a lot of potential and lists a lot of unreleased albums. I’ve been very impressed with the sound quality to my computer, I’d say the best sound quality I’ve ever gotten through a computer It will be interesting to see how this develops over time

Songcast should work fine on Apple but it can be temperamental. The DS bridge I used was on a Windows laptop. I will give it a go but not until next week some time and I'll keep you posted.
Songcast on the MacBook has a icon on the top and you have to select play on what ever you've named your DS, then you have to select it in Kinsky or Kazoo. It should work OK but as I said it does need some juggling.

I watch the waves roll in and roll out just the same
2017-12-03, 22:43
I was able to get Songcast to work for streaming audio from the Neil Young Archive site to my Renew DS. I was expecting an icon for songcast or for it to show up as an application, but it just showed up as a button (?) on the top of my screen when at Neil's site. It works fine but I'm assuming it's not streaming in high res because it doesn't sound as good as my high res downloads. But it seems on par with typical redbook files or streaming cd quality from Qobuz. Is that typical for Songcast?

I was also able to get the video to my TV using a Google Chromecast device that plugs into an HDMI port on the TV to send video from Neil's site (and others). I've been meaning to get this sort of thing set up for some time and this gave me the nudge needed to do it. It's not all that useful for Neil's site yet because there isn't much video there, but I'm having fun with it in other ways. Was also able to watch Neil's Friday night live concert from his hometown, which is worth checking out if you haven't (and are a fan).

So now I guess the question is whether there is a way to stream high res audio from this (and other) websites. The high res streaming to my computer sounds better than anything I've heard on it yet, so it would be nice to get that through to my main system.

Thanks for you help with this.

Renew DS, Axis TT, KK, 2250, Vienna Acoustics Mahlers
2017-12-04, 07:08
(2017-12-03 22:43)Tpy Wrote:  I was able to get Songcast to work for streaming audio from the Neil Young Archive site to my Renew DS. I was expecting an icon for songcast or for it to show up as an application, but it just showed up as a button (?) on the top of my screen when at Neil's site. It works fine but I'm assuming it's not streaming in high res because it doesn't sound as good as my high res downloads. But it seems on par with typical redbook files or streaming cd quality from Qobuz. Is that typical for Songcast?

I was also able to get the video to my TV using a Google Chromecast device that plugs into an HDMI port on the TV to send video from Neil's site (and others). I've been meaning to get this sort of thing set up for some time and this gave me the nudge needed to do it. It's not all that useful for Neil's site yet because there isn't much video there, but I'm having fun with it in other ways. Was also able to watch Neil's Friday night live concert from his hometown, which is worth checking out if you haven't (and are a fan).

So now I guess the question is whether there is a way to stream high res audio from this (and other) websites. The high res streaming to my computer sounds better than anything I've heard on it yet, so it would be nice to get that through to my main system.

Thanks for you help with this.

According to the songcast manual:
Quote:This audio is broadcast from your PC/MAC as dictated by your computers audio sub-system. For Windows7 this is typically 44.1k/16bit and for a OSX Lion 44.1k/16bit.(On a Mac check the "About this Mac" to find out the details)

So it may be possible to songcast at higher resolution, nut only if your computer is capable.

The only other way I can think of being able to send higher-res audio from a website to a DSM is through an external USB soundcard and plugging it into one the digital inputs. I have a Creative Soundblaster XFI-HD, but even then it's only up to 96/24.

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user