Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-06-22, 04:14 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / How do you use your remote?

How do you use your remote?
2017-12-08, 10:14 (This post was last modified: 2017-12-08 10:55 by Mel Fleming.)
How do you use your remote?
Hello forum!

I'm Mel, the newest member of MCIT here at Linn and also to this forum! So please be nice Smile

To make using our products as smooth as possible we’d like to know what you do with them!

1. What is the typical interaction with your system using your remote?
I.e. When turning your device on/off, selecting/ skipping tracks, adjusting volume levels etc, do you gravitate towards phone/iPad/handset/front panel? If so, why?
2. From off to listening detail the process you do to get your music playing.
I.e. I would bring it out of standby on the front panel, sit down and chose an album from my iPad.
3. Do any of you use the number keypads to select tracks?
4. What system and corresponding remote do you use? Have a look at the pictures attached and let me know which one you’ve got! (a,b,c,d,e,f, or g)

Appreciate the feedback

Mel

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-12-08, 11:10
RE: How do you use your remote?
Hi Mel, welcome to Linn and the Forum.

1. First turn on in the morning is from a remote, as I listen to the radio, so it’s three buttons at the most - switch on, select Radio, select station. After that, it’s iPad and Kazoo all the way as I always have an iPad to hand in the living room. If I happen to be sitting at the laptop, then I’ll use that for convenience.

2. Other than above, sit down select track or album, press play all from Kazoo.

3. No

4. KEDSM, so remote g

‘troll
2017-12-08, 11:12 (This post was last modified: 2017-12-08 13:44 by Tin.)
Hi Mel,

1. As I have both a Unidisk SC as an ADSM, which are both combined source/pre-amp devices I can only use the control for one of them.
So, in my case I use (e) to control the Unidisk SC to
- wake up
- change source, "src-" is the fastest button to dig-3 which is how I connected my PVR
- change the surround settings using the "surr" button to get to 'As Mix' as depending on the TV-channel the output of the PVR differs.
- change the volume using the volume buttons.

Sometimes, but hardly ever, I have to access the menu of the Unidisk SC, so I'd use both 'setup' as the controls in the central circle, but that is 3 or 4 times per year at the most.

2 Music listening:
- turn on the power of the stereo equipment using an IR remote control
- use Bubble DS or the Qobuz app to select music and set the volume
2 TV
- turn on the power of both the stereo equipment as the TV/surround equipment.
- use the controls described under (1) to select the source

3 Never
4 (e) which came with my ADS, which is now an ADSM.

Good luck!
2017-12-08, 11:16
Always use remote - on, source selection and volume..
other than when using spotify with the iphone...

Remote I like is "e" but have "g" in its box

Living Room: Black Ash LP12/Trampolinn/Lingo 1/Kore/Akito/DV20X2H - AEDSM - Exakt-box - Linn Silvers - Akurate 4200D/1 (2 off) - Ninkas (Upgrade Bases)
Kitchen: Sneaky DS - Komponent 104's
Other: Sonos Play 3 and Sonos ZP90
2017-12-08, 11:18 (This post was last modified: 2017-12-08 11:44 by LD100.)
(2017-12-08 10:14)Mel Fleming Wrote:  

I.e. When turning your device on/off, selecting/ skipping tracks, adjusting volume levels etc, do you gravitate towards phone/iPad/handset/front panel? If so, why?
I.e. I would bring it out of standby on the front panel, sit down and chose an album from my iPad.
4. What system and corresponding remote do you use? Have a look at the pictures attached and let me know which one you’ve got! (a,b,c,d,e,f, or g)

Mel

40 years ago, I thought having remote control of my system would be great...now I find I hardly use them. Perhaps it was not to ruin the mood during romance, and now that ship has sailed so there is nothing to interrupt. Sad

To answer your questions:
1. and 2. I push one button on a power conditioner/ isolation transformer to "power up". Pushing the "on" button on my pre amp starts three amplifiers to turn on sequentially. I turn on my LP12 and begin to play music. Note: no remote operations at all, no smartphone or Ipad (I do not own any).

3. I do use a remote (Marantz) to change CD/SACD tracks, but not by number.
4. I use the remote for my disc players (Marantz) and pre amp (McIntosh) for volume change with disc...usually with records, I'm already standing next to the pre amp so I use the master volume control.

Not very 21st century, but since I do only records, cds, SACDs, Blu rays, cassette and RtoR tape, all these formats require you to put something in or on so I'm already standing next to my pre amp...really not much need for remote control, although mute switch is handy when answering the phone. Smile
    TongueBig GrinTongue

Original 1978 Fluted Afromosia LP12, Ekos 2, Lyra Kleos SL and lots of other stuff from the 70's that still work fine.
2017-12-08, 11:25
Main system (LP12/KK): Rely on remote for turning on/off pre-amp and adjusting volume - that's about it
Second system (SDS): Use iPad/iPhone volume buttons on side of device

Main: Turn on power amp switch, use remote to turn on pre-amp, put record on
Second: Try to find an iPad/iPhone the kids aren't using, open Google Play, select music, faff about with the device trying to get it to play through the SDS instead of tablet/phone - repeat this last part most times you change a track/album

N/A

4. What system and corresponding remote do you use?
e
2017-12-08, 12:03
Quote:3. I do use a remote (Marantz) to change CD/SACD tracks, but not by number.
Thanks for the feedback LD100, this is really useful! How would you go about changing tracks using the remote, are you skipping forward/ back?
2017-12-08, 12:05
(2017-12-08 12:03)Mel Fleming Wrote:  
Quote:3. I do use a remote (Marantz) to change CD/SACD tracks, but not by number.
Thanks for the feedback LD100, this is really useful! How would you go about changing tracks using the remote, are you skipping forward/ back?

Yes sir! Smile

Original 1978 Fluted Afromosia LP12, Ekos 2, Lyra Kleos SL and lots of other stuff from the 70's that still work fine.
2017-12-08, 12:19
Hello Mel. Welcome to the mad house.

Typically, I use it for powering on and off, volume control/muting and source selection. Oddly, I occasionally use Kazoo to powering on, but never off (don't know why!)

If it was off to start with, and I hope this is what you're wanting to know:
Kazoo to select what I want to listen to, before I've even turned the DSM on, and then turn on and play (from Kazoo). From then on, it's remote control all the way (for that album) with Kazoo on full-screen to show artwork/up next etc. I hardly ever use Kazoo to control volume or prev/next (see above).

Nope.

Akurate DSM with REM020 (which I believe is picture g!).

♫ ♫ Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
♫ ♫ Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-12-08, 12:22
(2017-12-08 11:16)ryl1e Wrote:  Always use remote - on, source selection and volume..
other than when using spotify with the iphone...

Remote I like is "e" but have "g" in its box

Hi ryl1e,

Thanks for your feedback! Is there are particular reason you prefer REM 19 (e) over REM 20 (g)?