Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-01-20, 00:32 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / How do you use your remote?

How do you use your remote?
2017-12-08, 12:28
RE: How do you use your remote?
1. What is the typical interaction with your system using your remote?
Use remote for quick access to radio and TV sound. Easy with just using the fast keys. Will also use it for volume adjustment especially when watching TV.
I do tend to gravitate to my ipad in the first instance as it's usually always in my hands or very close by. It lives on my sofa where the remote is placed on a shelf. It'll fall between the cushions if left on the sofa.
If I'm listening to music I will use the ipad as I can then scroll and look through music which I might want to cue up next.

2. From off to listening detail the process you do to get your music playing.
For radio I'll just use the fast key on the remote
For streaming Tidal I'll use my ipad

3. Do any of you use the number keypads to select tracks?
No

4. What system and corresponding remote do you use?
ADSM with G remote

ADSM, 4200/D, 109s, k400, silvers
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-12-08, 12:31
Thanks for your feedback everyone, this is all very useful!
2017-12-08, 12:39
(2017-12-08 12:28)little wong Wrote:  2. From off to listening detail the process you do to get your music playing.
For radio I'll just use the fast key on the remote
For streaming Tidal I'll use my ipad

Thanks little wong! When streaming music, do you turn your device on using Kazoo on your iPad?
2017-12-08, 12:42 (This post was last modified: 2017-12-08 12:51 by HH2010.)
System is LP12, KRDSM1, Kudos, KK2, 3rd party blue ray player and Solos

KRDSM1 is running with volume control activated, the KK with "unity gain" for this input.

I use <e> when listening with LP12 or BR, mostly:
- src +
- src -
- vol +
- vol -

Some times I use <e> for KRDSM1:
- stop
- pause
- play
- skip back or forth

Seldom, but then <e> is the only way:
- special KK functions, like "mono"

For Kudos I use <a>, because it has the "TUN" etc. keys transparently available,
I use <a> as a backup remote for the other stuff also.

When listeing digital music, I use Kinsky or Bubble DS.
So there is no need for the number keys on IR romotes.

Before KRDSM1 I had the KRDS1, which had the RS232 interface to forward source and volume control information to the KK.
With that setup I used Kinsky most of the time, even when listening LP12.

When buying the KK2 2nd hand, my dealer offered me the - then standard - <f> remote, but as this is not able to address e.g. the "mono" function of the KK, I decided for the older <e>. I never understood why Linn was shipping KK2 with <f> when this inhibits adressing all functions of KK.

I always use the device power switches or device keys for power on/off/standby because with the remote it is not transparent which devices will react.

(Solos: power on by device switch, automatic start from standby)

Listening to Vinyl:

Power on:
- Radikal: device power switch
- KK2: device power switch, device "standby" button
Choose Source:
- KK2: device "Source +/-" (because I'm just there in front of the device anyway)
Choose album/track:
LP12 mechanics :-)
Volume:
- KK2: device "vol +/-" initially (because I'm just there and have places a record)
- <e> (when back to seat)

Listening to digital:
- KRDSM: device power switch
- KK2: device power switch, device "standby" button
Choose Source:
- KK2: device "Source +/-" (because I'm just there in front of the device anyway)
Choose album/track:
- Kinsky at desk PC or Bubble DS on Android
Volume:
- Kinsky at desk PC or Bubble DS on Android

No. Never.

KK <e> - <e> is necessary for "mono" etc.
KRDSM1 <e>
Kudos <a>

Over more than 20 years with Linn, I loved the <b> most.

Loricraft PRC3, LP12 (Keel/Radikal/Ekos SE1/Kandid/Urika), KRDSM/1, KK/2, KS, 242/2; Grado RA1/PS1000
2017-12-08, 12:43
Turning device on/off, skipping tracks, adjusting volume levels. I always use the remote for on/off. I 50/50 use the remote for volume (I do find the remote easier than Kazoo for this). I 50/50 use the remote for track skipping. I used to use it for scrolling through radio stations presets using arrow keys until you stopped it rotating through presets (i.e. from last preset back to first), I still use the arrow keys for this a lot but not as much. I use the remote (usually) to select source and sometimes to look at source info.
I would bring it out of standby on using remote usually select radio and a radio station just to get some music, sit down and chose some music from my laptop using Kazoo/Kazoo Server.
No
4. What system and corresponding remote do you use? Have a look at the pictures attached and let me know which one you’ve got! (a,b,c,d,e,f, or g)
KEDSM using g
2017-12-08, 12:54
I maybe could add:
I only ever use the number keypad to select radio stations.
I can't think of any other time I have used it (except good ol' Jukebox of course... ahh, Jukebox.... memories memories... hint hint.. Wink)

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-12-08, 12:54
(2017-12-08 12:39)Mel Fleming Wrote:  Thanks little wong! When streaming music, do you turn your device on using Kazoo on your iPad?
Hi Mel, I use Kazoo to turn on the device.

ADSM, 4200/D, 109s, k400, silvers
2017-12-08, 12:55 (This post was last modified: 2017-12-08 14:04 by Scooter.)
1. I use the remote for 2 basic functions, on/off, volume up/down. I only stream so either a laptop or iPad is involved. Remote is handy for muting if phone rings, etc.
2 Switch on using either remote or iPad/laptop. Select music using iPad/laptop.
3 No.
4 A and E but only use E

I watch the waves roll in and roll out just the same
2017-12-08, 13:01 (This post was last modified: 2017-12-08 13:04 by MetalloIL6.)
welcome Mel, a useful thread.

I use the remote daily. To turn on and off, skipping tracks up and down and repeat songs when doing SO (? ver useful!), to adjust volume (which has to be done often since discs have so different volumes!) and to select source. iPAD is used for searching for music and making a list, sometimes to change songs up or down in a long list, but rarely for changing volume or selecting sources (may be because we are doing something else with it like reading newspapers etc).

2. From off to listening detail the process you do to get your music playing. I always bring it out with the remote using the playlist I left the previous day, the sit down and read newspapers. Eventually I will open Kazoo and select further discs for streaming and will delete old ones. Rarely use the front panel buttons.

Rarely.

ADSM, g (have an old one as well stored).

Thanks for asking. I would not discontinue a remote, I find it very useful and may help avoiding disputes in the family!

MI
2017-12-08, 13:03 (This post was last modified: 2017-12-08 13:13 by DavidHB.)
(2017-12-08 10:14)Mel Fleming Wrote:  1. What is the typical interaction with your system using your remote?
I.e. When turning your device on/off, selecting/ skipping tracks, adjusting volume levels etc, do you gravitate towards phone/iPad/handset/front panel? If so, why?

General point. Please don't use the term 'iPad' when you mean 'phone or tablet'. That suggests that you are leaving the great army of Android users out in the cold. There are also those fanatics, of whom I am one, who abhor iThingies and all their works. We may be nutters, but please be kind to us. Smile

Specifically, the choice of remote or network device is a matter of what comes easiest to hand for the job, which in my case is the remote more often than not. I don't go looking for the tablet unless I have to, for example to change the playlist. In general, I do anything I can do with the remote.

(2017-12-08 10:14)Mel Fleming Wrote:  2. From off to listening detail the process you do to get your music playing.
I.e. I would bring it out of standby on the front panel, sit down and chose an album from my iPad.

If I'm happy with the loaded playlist, or want to listen to radio, I usually just grab the remote and set the system going. For 'planned' listening (i.e with particular music in mind) I normally first get hold of the tablet or phone that comes easiest to hand (and is charged!) before I sit down to listen.

One question you did not ask, but I think is relevant, is what control point I start up when I have my tablet or phone. The answer is that I use BubbleDS about 80% of the time and Kazoo for the other 20%. There is no rhyme or reason for this that I know of, other than instinctive preference at the time.

(2017-12-08 10:14)Mel Fleming Wrote:  3. Do any of you use the number keypads to select tracks?

Very much so, particularly with saved playlists, which I use often enough to remember the running order. I also know track numbers from many of my CDs. One specific advantage of BubbleDS over Kazoo is that Bubble has an option (which I use) to clear the pre-existing playlist when 'Play now' is pressed. This makes the resultant playlist work the same way for an album as a CD player, so knowing track numbers is helpful.

It follows that I would love to have some means of selecting a saved playlist (ideally on the server) using just the remote.

(2017-12-08 10:14)Mel Fleming Wrote:  4. What system and corresponding remote do you use? Have a look at the pictures attached and let me know which one you’ve got! (a,b,c,d,e,f, or g)

My systems are as per my signature. Both have REM20 remotes (g).

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko