Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-04-21, 12:28 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / How do you use your remote?

How do you use your remote?
2017-12-08, 13:16 (This post was last modified: 2017-12-08 13:16 by mcgillroy.)
RE: How do you use your remote?
(2017-12-08 10:14)Mel Fleming Wrote:  Hello forum!

I'm Mel, the newest member of MCIT here at Linn and also to this forum! So please be nice Smile

To make using our products as smooth as possible we’d like to know what you do with them!

1. What is the typical interaction with your system using your remote?
I.e. When turning your device on/off, selecting/ skipping tracks, adjusting volume levels etc, do you gravitate towards phone/iPad/handset/front panel? If so, why?
2. From off to listening detail the process you do to get your music playing.
I.e. I would bring it out of standby on the front panel, sit down and chose an album from my iPad.
3. Do any of you use the number keypads to select tracks?
4. What system and corresponding remote do you use? Have a look at the pictures attached and let me know which one you’ve got! (a,b,c,d,e,f, or g)

Appreciate the feedback

Mel

Welcome Mel!

first off: what is MCIT?

with regards to your questions:

1.) the remote is used daily to power the system on & off and for volume control/mute as this is faster than via Kazoo or Lumin.

The latter run on iPads and a typical interaction requires picking up the device, unlock and/or switch app, bring up volume control, click multiple times. Whereas the remote can be even used with just lying on table. Same is true for turning on/off and mute interaction.

I rarely switch inputs (Playlist <-> Airplay) but that might change as a Pekin is on its way here.

The remote is never used to select tracks. This happens 90% in Lumin, 10% in Kazoo. Lumin provides better oversight of tracks on server/in Qobuz and of the playlist at one glance.

Also Lumin shows genres in Qobuz which Kazoo does not...

The remote sometimes is used to skip tracks, mostly to skip back to the beginning of a track. Same for pausing/restarting tracks. Again this is much faster than going through an app.

The "i" button on the remote is used regularly to view time of track remaining.

Front panel controls are used to turn system on, sometimes also to turn it off.

2. Listening typically takes place evenings and/or weekends. During the weekdays the system is often fully powered off.

So listening typically involves the following steps: walk up to rack, switch MDSM and 6100 on, get to sofa, fire up Lumin, these days mostly check Qobuz new releases, select an album. Hit play, adjust volume if necessary.

Once music plays the iPad will either be used to read online or put away.

Further volume attenuation, pause, mute then happens via remote.

Listening mostly takes place on a per album basis, rarely on a per track basis. 75% classical music, 25% electic mix.

If Qobuz is not used the search function in Lumin/Kazoo will be engaged to locate a particular album or a particular piece by a composer in the library.

We often also browse the library via the genres tag: i.e. "Classical - Chamber" or "Jazz - Bebop" etc.

3. We never use number keys. Most classical albums have to many tracks to make this useful and having a visual representation in the form of a playlist is a better way to navigate.

4. MDSM/2 & remote g

http://www.last.fm/user/mcgillroy

Kudos - MDSM/2 - 6100/D - Chakra active Kabers - Nubert 441w sub + Qobuz Sublime.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-12-08, 13:31 (This post was last modified: 2017-12-08 13:31 by JensA.)
Hi Mel,

1. What is the typical interaction with your system using your remote?
- On/Off
- Select Source
- Adjust Volume (but only for video sources, not for music --> see 2 below)

2. From off to listening detail the process you do to get your music playing.
I open the Kazoo app on my Ipad, select the song/album, start playing, adjust volume with Kazoo (but hardly ever use the remote when listening to music)

3. Do any of you use the number keypads to select tracks?
Never

4. What system and corresponding remote do you use? Have a look at the pictures attached and let me know which one you’ve got! (a,b,c,d,e,f, or g)
MDSM/2, remote g plus
Phono: Thorens 126 phono,
HDMI In: Bluray/SACD/CD player + Apple TV + Amazone Fire TV + Cable TV Receiver,
HDMI out: BenQ Full HD Projector

Stereo: Majik DSM/2 - Thorens 126 Mk III Centennial - B&W CM7
AV: Benq W2000 - Sony UHP-H1 - Apple TV - Amazon Fire TV
2017-12-08, 13:35
(2017-12-08 13:16)mcgillroy Wrote:  We never use number keys. Most classical albums have to many tracks to make this useful and having a visual representation in the form of a playlist is a better way to navigate.

It's interesting how perceptions and practice vary on these issues, and there's no 'right' or 'wrong' of course.

I too listen mainly to classical music, but, from my CD listening days, I tend to find that knowing track numbers is helpful. Many classical albums do indeed have too many arbitrarily arranged tracks to make this possible, though guesswork can often get you close. Moreover, there is frequently some sort of regular pattern. As often as not, for instance, on an album containing two symphonies, you will know that track 5 is the beginning of the second work. With this kind of knowledge, selecting tracks by number becomes a useful option.

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10/1 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
2017-12-08, 13:48 (This post was last modified: 2017-12-08 13:49 by ryl1e.)
to answer the question earlier...

Better made unit (perceived)
Chunky and used to it... that's all

Living Room: Black Ash LP12/Trampolinn/Lingo 1/Kore/Akito/DV20X2H - AEDSM - Exakt-box - Linn Silvers - Akurate 4200D/1 (2 off) - Ninkas (Upgrade Bases)
Kitchen: Sneaky DS - Komponent 104's
Other: Sonos Play 3 and Sonos ZP90
2017-12-08, 13:51
In our house it is only iPad iPhone and Android phones using Kazoo that is employed for everything. The remotes live in the boxes they were shipped in.
The main reason is that all Linn electronics are behind the doors of a closed cabinet where infra red cannot penetrate.

I do prefer the tablet/phone computer approach as it was one of the benefits of digital streaming with a Linn system.

Avalon

Akurate Exakt DSM,2 Akurate Exaktbox 6two Akurate 4200 power amps, klimax chakra twin(Dk), Akubarik High Gloss Rosewood speakers,nordost Tyr, ipad 2 & KazooServer Minimserver and Asset server running on a Qnap 251, backed up to remote Qnap 231. Sonos for multiroom. SPACED OUT
2017-12-08, 13:54
(2017-12-08 13:35)DavidHB Wrote:  
(2017-12-08 13:16)mcgillroy Wrote:  We never use number keys. Most classical albums have to many tracks to make this useful and having a visual representation in the form of a playlist is a better way to navigate.

It's interesting how perceptions and practice vary on these issues, and there's no 'right' or 'wrong' of course.

I too listen mainly to classical music, but, from my CD listening days, I tend to find that knowing track numbers is helpful. Many classical albums do indeed have too many arbitrarily arranged tracks to make this possible, though guesswork can often get you close. Moreover, there is frequently some sort of regular pattern. As often as not, for instance, on an album containing two symphonies, you will know that track 5 is the beginning of the second work. With this kind of knowledge, selecting tracks by number becomes a useful option.

David

Your remark has me reassessing what I just wrote: actually in many cases we will put together a playlist with 3-5 interpretations of the same work. We'll then listen to say the first movement for a few minutes see if it draws us in and if not switch to the next interpretation. Usually a favourite rendering will emerge rather quickly and we will then listen to that in full.

So in this case its not really albums but chunks of albums we listen to. Still this could be navigated in the manner you describe: if a piece has three movements just press 4 or 8 to jump to the next or the interpretation after that. Will try.

http://www.last.fm/user/mcgillroy

Kudos - MDSM/2 - 6100/D - Chakra active Kabers - Nubert 441w sub + Qobuz Sublime.
2017-12-08, 13:56
mcgillroy Wrote:Welcome Mel!

first off: what is MCIT?

LOL. Quick Google and it could be:
1. Major Crime Investigation Team
2. Multi Chamber Inflatable Technology
3. Ministry of Communications and Information Technology
4. Mobile Crisis Intervention Team
amongst others

Take your pick! I vote 2!

♫ ♫ Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
♫ ♫ Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-12-08, 14:13 (This post was last modified: 2017-12-08 14:18 by Briain.)
Hi

And a warm welcome to the Linn Forum! Smile

I have an ADSM (for AV sources) sitting on a rack partially obscured (off to the side of me) by a chair and a KK/KDS on a rack that I can see (though I cannot see the KDS/KK when sitting at the dining-room table).

Whether I am playing music, or using the system for TV sound, I first select the inputs using the 'Slimline' (REM20?) 3 user programmable buttons, then I change to using a Sky+ remote for volume and mute functions. This is because the Sky remote has a huge IR output and can be bounced off a wall (or roof) to reach devices that are not direct line of sight (and I don't have nice white walls; the one I bounce if off is rough stone and the ceiling is yellow cedar wood) but also because I vastly prefer the chunky 'feel' (ergonomics) of the Sky+ remote.

When I have a REM20 sitting in front of me, but have misplaced the Sky+ remote, I will actually take the time to track down the old Sky+ remote, rather than to just use the REM20, not only because I prefer the tactile shape of the Sky+ remote, but even when sitting in the comfy chair (with the KDS and KK in a line 45 deg in front and to one side of me; about 3 m away) I have to point the REM20 directly at the KDS/KK, whereas I can just stab the buttons on the Sky+ remote (with it pointing forwards) and there's enough scattered signal (or perhaps 45 deg emission) to still make it function.

Same applies when sitting at my dining room table; the Slimline does not work, but the Sky+ operates the KK volume via a reflected path (and it is very reliable) so I really need to use the Sky one to control volume (muting TV adverts, etc).

One thing I have suggested in the past is that as well as making the 'Slimline' remote, it could be cool idea to add a 'Fatline' remote to the portfolio (I'd buy one immediately). By that, I mean something that runs on higher capacity batteries and with a 'louder' IR emitting diode (or perhaps even multiple IR LED's; the original Barco remote - the one that preceded the official LK1 remote - had a cluster of 3 IR LEDs, and though it had a shorter battery life, it had a great operational range). Not only would that significantly help to make reflected paths work, but, for folks like me - who live in what is pretty much a glass walled room - it might work better when IR receivers are also dealing with a noise floor comprising tonnes of sunlight.

Bri Smile

KDS/1 (music) + ADSM (AV) -> KK/1 -> 350A + miniDSP time & phase aligned 345 rear sub
KDS Renew -> Homebrew fixed attenuator -> 2250/D -> 212 and Sizmik front sub (bedroom)
MDSI -> 104C (awaiting installation in my kitchen)
MDSI -> Shahinian Arc (installed at my mum's house)
2017-12-08, 14:35
PS I should add that when playing music, I use Kinsky (iOS version) to select and add tracks to the playlist, then once done, I sleep the iPad and just use the 'Slimline' remote for track pause/skip/replay functionality, and as alluded to above, I the Sky+ remote for volume and mute functionality. In other words, I am an IR remote fan (and don't care to use tablets for control of volume and skip, etc; too much faffing about compared to the immediacy of simply pressing a button on an IR remote). Smile

KDS/1 (music) + ADSM (AV) -> KK/1 -> 350A + miniDSP time & phase aligned 345 rear sub
KDS Renew -> Homebrew fixed attenuator -> 2250/D -> 212 and Sizmik front sub (bedroom)
MDSI -> 104C (awaiting installation in my kitchen)
MDSI -> Shahinian Arc (installed at my mum's house)
2017-12-08, 15:30
I use (e) for power, source selection and volume.

For controlling my streamer I use BubbleDS Next on an 8" Acer tablet and for "now playing" I use BubbleDS Next on an Acer 10" tablet.

Main: AK/0/D; AEDSM; MeiCord AEBox/1; Silvers 2x A4200/1; K400 NSL Exakt dual-mono PMC Twenty.26; Twenty.C; Blacks AV5125 PMC Twenty.21
Playroom: SBT; V-DAC1; Cyrus6; M773e
Garage: SBT/Rega DAC; Arcam AVR100; 2x AV5125; Aktiv Ninkas, Trikan, SeKretan
www.audiophilemusings.co.uk