Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-01-16, 10:58 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / How do you use your remote?

How do you use your remote?
2017-12-08, 15:43
RE: How do you use your remote?
Hi Mel,

1. I mostly use my phone, I'm back and forth between the service area and my desk and my phone is always with me for calls/texts etc. I don't use an rc, can't browse the music.

2. I browse the music on the phone, choose artist/album, hit play. I don't bother turning it on first.

3. I never use the numbers, I usually listen to whole albums, on the occasions that I want a specific track, I don't know the numbers so I look at the current playlist and choose tracks by it's title.

4. Current system is ADSM/Majik Exaktbox/Majik 140's. On the rare occasion I use a remote it's the current one, "g".

Gary

LP12/Cirkus/Radikal/Kore/Ekos1/Tkable balanced/Uphorik/Krystal/ADSM/1/aktiv Akubariks
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-12-08, 15:50
Never use the remote at all. Use an iPad or a PC typically speaking. The only problem I have is when someone asks me to use an obscure command on the remote to troubleshoot something and that isn't possible from those - then I can't find the remote Sad

So maybe a 'find me' feature would be good in this house. Better still would be replication of all of the actions possible on the remote via Kazoo, Konfig or the device page. Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
2017-12-08, 15:58
I have to say I would hate life without a remote even if my use is limited. If I just want some music quickly (radio) I don't want to have to power up my laptop (which is my only means of control otherwise).

I do like buttons not touchscreens so do not have or use the phone app. Don't have a tablet or iThingy
2017-12-08, 16:34 (This post was last modified: 2017-12-08 16:34 by Briain.)
Worth mentioning the sad loss of Kinsky Jukebox as if I had that, I'd often not even bother using an iPad to select an album.

Also worth again mentioning that my 84 year old mother has a Linn DS based system and has stopped using it due to it's complexity, so if we had a new Kinsky Jukebox, I could simply print off a list of her favourite albums and she could access then via the IR remote control; that would be transformational, for her.

Hope that the feedback it of some use.

Bri Smile

KDS/1 (music) + ADSM (AV) -> KK/1 -> 350A + miniDSP time & phase aligned 345 rear sub
KDS Renew -> Homebrew fixed attenuator -> 2250/D -> 212 and Sizmik front sub (bedroom)
MDSI -> 104C (awaiting installation in my kitchen)
MDSI -> Shahinian Arc (installed at my mum's house)
2017-12-08, 17:53 (This post was last modified: 2017-12-09 08:30 by Glyn Ruck.)
Complex ARC/Maggie bi amped surround array. Most conceivable dedicated front ends but no streaming ~ LP12, Multiple CD, SACD, DVDA, Multiple LD, DVD, BluRay, Nak, Satellite, Proc, DVR, Tuner, etc. Daisy chained SCAMPS allow sequential power up from the single push of a button or remote ~ amps, subs, X Overs etc. Expanded Xantech Dinky Link to ensure good remote response from anywhere in the room & downstairs lounge. Front end components in rack on side wall. Multiple amps etc behind front speakers on stands. Distribution by HDMI over Cat 6.

Manual operation of tube preamp while playing vinyl ~ muting, volume etc. All other system commands handled by Logitech Harmony One remote with exception of DVDO Video processor/HDMI hub that I use a dedicated remote for (seldom requires touching). I like direct hard key punch in for track selection, satellite channel selection (TV & Music) etc.

Why? convenience in handling a complex system & Logitech supports their remotes well. Unlike old Philips/Marantz.

If all else fails due to a processor needing a reboot or whatever I steer it manually ~ horror of all horrors! WinkTongue
2017-12-08, 18:11 (This post was last modified: 2017-12-08 18:12 by entdgc.)
Mel,

1. What is the typical interaction with your system using your remote?
I use my remote for on/off, play/pause, volume +/-, balance L/R, mute and occasionally skip forward a track.
2. From off to listening detail the process you do to get your music playing.
Use pad/computer to turn on setup playlist. Turn off lights, Settle down. Press play. Adjust volume and listen...
3. Do any of you use the number keypads to select tracks?
Nope
4. What system and corresponding remote do you use? Have a look at the pictures attached and let me know which one you’ve got! (a,b,c,d,e,f, or g)
System in sig. The remote I use isn't listed. I use one of these

http://i82.servimg.com/u/f82/13/82/18/39/pictur12.jpg

Always have from the early LK days and now know it well enough to use it in the dark.

Intriguing questions! What do you have up your sleeves?
Dave

LP12+Origin Live Alliance+Ortofon 2m Red > Graham Slee Communicator = KDSr/1 > silver > KK/1D > silver > Keltik Klimax XOvers > black > 2x4200/D > K600(+2) > Keltiks
2017-12-08, 20:20
Don't use the remote at all . BubbleDS controls things most of the time . When I use the OPPO I change the source on the kontrol . In fact I'm not sure where the remote is . Collins

Main : KDS/1 , KK/1 , Silvers , 3 x A2200D , A4200D Upper and Lower Bass, Activ cards , K400 , 242s ,Audio Pro Ace Bass 3 Subwoofer , Oppo 105D
2017-12-08, 21:29
Hi Mel

1. Switching on/off, volume, play/pause, selecting radio.
2. Switching on either by remote, on front panel or by selecting track in Kazoo. I manage playlist in Kazoo on my IPad. Volume is adjusted by remote or in Kazoo. Remote control is way faster compared to adjust volume in Kazoo/iPad.
3. I use the keypad only in radio mode for channel selection.
4. ADSM controlled by REM020, g.

/HansBertil
2017-12-08, 22:06 (This post was last modified: 2017-12-08 22:06 by phino.)
1. What is the typical interaction with your system using your remote?
Power on/off; volume; play; pause; mute; direct source selection.
I'll sometimes use the control point for volume & play/pause, but usually it's the remote. Why: because it's instant and works every time without fail - unlike control points.
I think I might've pressed the front panel buttons twice in all the time I've had the Ds - that was to force a crash-report reboot, otherwise I'd never have pressed them. I like having them, just don't want to 'soil' them!

2. From off to listening detail the process you do to get your music playing.
I press play on the remote!
Startup source is radio and it's always on Radio 3. So, pressing play brings the ds out of standby, selects Radio and starts playing. One button press and there is music. Perfect!
Following on from that I would head for the control point, but first I listen to the radio.

3. Do any of you use the number keypads to select tracks?
Hardly ever, but not unknown. I can never remember how to handle >9 so tend not to bother, besides which I have to look at the control point to see what number a particular track is, so I might as well select it with the control point.

4. What system and corresponding remote do you use? Have a look at the pictures attached and let me know which one you’ve got! (a,b,c,d,e,f, or g)
Akurate Ds, Klimax Exaktbox. Remote is G - rem020.

ADs/2 -> Klimax Exaktbox/1 -> Silvers -> 2xKCT/D -> K200 -> Ninka
Exaktbox Sub - BK Sub
2017-12-08, 22:42 (This post was last modified: 2017-12-08 22:43 by Mark57.)
Typical Interaction
Out/In to standby
Select/Change Source
Volume control
Pause/mute for phone calls / change LP sides etc
Occasionally skip track

If streaming/radio

Out of standby/select source - remote
Select music - phone (Bubble DS)
Adjust volume - phone (initially), remote subsequently

If LP12 typically use front panel controls through to starting an album, use remote for subsequent volume control or mute

Never use the number keypad

LP12 + Akurate stuff.