Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-06-22, 04:10 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / How do you use your remote?

How do you use your remote?
2018-01-03, 19:44
RE: How do you use your remote?
Hello Mel

1. I tend to switch on my Linn streamer and pre-amp using the remote and I use the remote to switch them off after listening.
2. I use the remote to turn the system on, then select what I’m going to playing via an ipad Air. For volume adjustments, I tend to use the remote but might use the ipad if I’ve got it to hand whilst listening ie if I’m on the internet or using email.
3. I do use the numbered buttons on the remote control to select specific tracks but sometimes will select the desired track from the Kazoo playlist on the iPad as well.
4. I have remote e.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-01-04, 19:22
(2017-12-08 10:14)Mel Fleming Wrote:  Hello forum!

I'm Mel, the newest member of MCIT here at Linn and also to this forum! So please be nice Smile

To make using our products as smooth as possible we’d like to know what you do with them!

1. What is the typical interaction with your system using your remote?
I.e. When turning your device on/off, selecting/ skipping tracks, adjusting volume levels etc, do you gravitate towards phone/iPad/handset/front panel? If so, why?
2. From off to listening detail the process you do to get your music playing.
I.e. I would bring it out of standby on the front panel, sit down and chose an album from my iPad.
3. Do any of you use the number keypads to select tracks?
4. What system and corresponding remote do you use? Have a look at the pictures attached and let me know which one you’ve got! (a,b,c,d,e,f, or g)

Appreciate the feedback

Mel

1. For music - use ipad or laptop (kinsky) to turn on and set up play list. When listening the ipad is generally plugged in to keep charge up and displaying album artwork. Will then use remote to pause, turn volume up / down, etc.

1. For television - use remote to turn on, select input and adjust volume

2. see above

3. very rare

4. g

Akurate EDSM / Akurate EBox 10 / Majik 6100 / Majik 2100 / Basik with Akito and Adikt / Akurate 212
2018-01-06, 12:57
Hi Mel, Welcome to Linn. Happy to have you on the team. Great question. Sorry I didn’t find it until now.

1. System is usually left on (sleep mode). I select source (and TV channels), adjust volume/mute and press play/pause on remote. Rarely use skip forward or back in playlist on the remote. Music is selected on vinyl or files from NAS/Tidal in Kazoo. Kazoo most often controlled from iPad and there I also adjust volume, select playing order and control multi room sharing. When playing files I gravitate towards controlling everything in Kazoo. Playing vinyl or TV I gravitate towards using the Logitech remote.

A. Decide wether to play vinyl, files or watch TV.
B. Choose source on remote or in Kazoo (for files or Tidal).
C. Choose records on vinyl, select channel on TV (from remote) or select music files in Kazoo.
D. Put needle into the groove or press play in Kazoo and sit down.
E. Adjust volume and enjoy.

Very rarely use buttons on the control panels, and then only to mute volume playing vinyl/cleaning the needle.

3. Number keypads only used to select channels for TV.

4. I use Klimax DS and Kontrol as control points in my system (connected by the RS232 interface). Usually controlled via a programmable Logitech Harmony remote (to include TV system on same remote), Kazoo on iPad/iPhone/PC or Linn rem 018 (for Sneaky DS in kitchen).

Cheers, mats

main: Klimax LP12 CH fluted ebony, KDS/1, KK/2, 3xKCT/D, homebrewn active dipolar speakers
secondary: Sneaky DS, Sonab OD-11
cottage: Axis, Basik Plus, Benz MC20, Linto, Classik, Klout, Sonab OA-12
2018-01-09, 08:55
Turn on, adjust volume and skip source. For most operations I do prefere this to a phone/pad as it is signifficantly faster and easier for these operations.
The programmable keys and radio button are also used every day.
Recently also found out the fast-forward button on my remote (g).

Only use the iPad/iPhone (or the mac) when accessing Tidal
Occasiannly also use front panel (as it it next to my LP12)

Use it often for selecting radio stations. Sometimes for track but seldom.

4. What system and corresponding remote do you use?

g

LP12, Keel, Radikal, Ekos2, Kandid, Urika1, AEDSM, Akurate Exaktboks, 2xM6100, Akubarik
Secondary system: Linn LP12, Ittok LVII, Adikt/2, MDSM/2,
M109
2018-01-19, 10:11
I use the remote for
Switching on and off
Skipping to next track
Volume.
Changing source (Radio-Streamer).
Prodding the kitten when she gets on the window sill.

What I wish one could configure the remote to do is to switch between two or three pre-loaded SPACE settings.
Although I would not alter the room measurements, it would be nice to be able to switch in and out a treble cut filter for listening to old pops and poor jazz recordings.

Donuk sunny downtown York
I use the simpler control (19 is it?)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2018-01-19, 15:23
Hi Mel

I do everything with the remote - only in cases where there's no way around an iPad I actually use the iPad. I do heavily gravitate towards the remote/front display combination. Unfortunately Linn does not support the way I am used to be listening to network music as Linn hasn't implemented a control point into their DSMs (yet?).

2.1 Today (or how I have to do it): take the remote and the iPad select the track, then select next track and so on
2.2How I would love to have it work: just take the remote, select the track I want to hear using the combination of remote and front display, DSM should keep playing the tracks following the previously selected track in that folder (like in the old days with CDs)

No.

4. What system and corresponding remote do you use? Have a look at the pictures attached and let me know which one you’ve got!
I's a "g" remote.

Don't get me wrong - I do appreciate my Linn gear (coming from Naim and still using Onkyo). But for me it is still awkward not having a control point in the DSM - you need to have an iSomething in addition to the remote to select a track Sad

Well, keep up the good work!
sunshine
2018-01-23, 19:40
I select most music on my PC. I use the remote to turn on, resume music, volume control. I don't use number buttons. I don't use mute much. Prefer to stop music from playing. The remote allows me to turn on/off music if my wife walks in, or I have a few minutes to listen and then go. No tubes to wait to warm up, etc. The remote maximizes my ability to listen to music.
2018-01-30, 06:41

I'm Mel, the newest member of MCIT here at Linn and also to this forum! So please be nice Smile

To make using our products as smooth as possible we’d like to know what you do with them!

I.e. When turning your device on/off, selecting/ skipping tracks, adjusting volume levels etc, do you gravitate towards phone/iPad/handset/front panel? If so, why?
I.e. I would bring it out of standby on the front panel, sit down and chose an album from my iPad.
4. What system and corresponding remote do you use? Have a look at the pictures attached and let me know which one you’ve got! (a,b,c,d,e,f, or g)

Appreciate the feedback

Mel
Hi Mel,

Nice to see questions about usage.

I have an Akurate Exakt DSM - remote G.
My main usage is on/off, but not all the time, as I also have a harmony remote that can do the same.
I ocassionally change source (Phono to playlist) with it, and ocassionally volume, but that's about it.

Peter
2018-02-01, 01:57

A - I use various remotes for different things. To turn units on/off, select music or build a playlist, I most often use an iPhone, iPad, or my Macbook, depending on what's near. To skip tracks, adjust volume, play/pause, I use the handset remote if I seated or on the treadmill or exercise bike. If I'm in the kitchen or walking around the house, I 'll use my iPhone.

Sometimes, I use the buttons on the front of the unit to power them off or adjust the volume or source if I'm walking by them.

A - I grab and iDevice or Laptop (whatever is near), open the Kazoo app or Spotify, select which DS I want to use (or multiple if I'll be walking around), select music from my NAS, Tidal or Spotify, start playback, adjust volume(s).

A - If I know the track listing, & am seated for a serious listening session or working in the office, yes. Otherwise, I just let it play, and skip songs that I don't like, or set to random (with the handset).

I use "e" on my DS-I and "g" on the Akurate, Majik, Sneaky, and Kiko DSMs.

Thanks for asking!

Cheers,

John

HiFi Room: ADSM, Pro-Ject Turntable, 8x100D Aktiv M140, & 2-SVS PB13 Ultra | Master: MDSM, PS Audio S300, Dynaudio Focus 160 | Office: Sneaky DSM, C4200D, Aktiv Katan | Living: ADS, PS Audio M700, Dynaudio Focus 160 | Dining: Kiko | Fitness: MDSI, C5100, 4 x 104c-s, & SVS SB2000 | QNAP TS-251+
2018-02-01, 23:29

Appreciate the feedback

Mel
Greetings Mel and welcome.

I keep the Linn remotes (and all others) in a drawer unless something breaks with my iPad-based control system which runs either Kazoo for music only or iRule for anything in the AV realm. So the remotes come out only when there is wifi/network problem. iRule uses user-configured panels/buttons to send any combination of commands (IR, network, RS232, LPEC, etc.) to all the devices in the main system (TV, SatBox, BluRay, ATV, Roku, KDSM, HDMI switcher (ATV and Roku share and HDMI input to the KDSM)). The iRule home screen has just a few buttons like Watch TV, Watch DVD, Apple TV, etc. I just tap one button and all the correct devices power up to the correct inputs, etc., any unneeded components power down, and the correct control screen appears. For music only (in the main room, BR, studio, etc.), Kazoo does it all, including volume, from either the iPad or iPhone.

All my music is ripped to a NAS with a folder system according to Album Artist, with some larger sub-folders for Classical, Compilations, Opera, Spoken Word, etc., so I find it's easy to select, build playlists, etc., all with Kazoo.

Sorry this probably doesn't give you much info about how to improve the Linn remotes, but for me having a single control point that I (or my wife) can use to run everything, even in dim light, is a great advantage.

KDSM Exakt - KDS2 Renew - MajikDS - SneakyDS - Klimax Kontrol (now for sale) - Komris with Exaktboxes - 8x Solo 500