Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-04-21, 12:30 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / Jukebox: how do you use it?

Jukebox: how do you use it?
2017-12-17, 16:54
RE: Jukebox: how do you use it?
(2017-12-17 16:46)timster Wrote:  It still doesn't help non-display DS owners though. They need numbers.

With my Kiko, which for present purposes counts as a non-display DSM, I quite happily select track numbers via the remote. If there is a display it would be nice to see the numbers as they are pressed, but it's not the end of the world if you can't do this.

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10/1 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-12-17, 23:13
(2017-12-17 16:54)DavidHB Wrote:  
(2017-12-17 16:46)timster Wrote:  It still doesn't help non-display DS owners though. They need numbers.

With my Kiko, which for present purposes counts as a non-display DSM, I quite happily select track numbers via the remote. If there is a display it would be nice to see the numbers as they are pressed, but it's not the end of the world if you can't do this.

David

I used Jukebox with my first DS, a Sneaky, for about 4 years with no display and no problems.

Bill.

ADSM2 | Silvers | 2250 | K400 | Keilidhs
RasberryPI-B/HiFiberry DAC | Classik | Kans MkII
QNAP 212P | Minimserver
2017-12-18, 07:03
That was the point I was trying to make Bill. You need the jukebox-generated numbers if you have no display. Just browsing an existing music server won't work without a display.

♫ ♫ Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
♫ ♫ Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-12-18, 16:15
(2017-12-18 07:03)timster Wrote:  That was the point I was trying to make Bill. You need the jukebox-generated numbers if you have no display. Just browsing an existing music server won't work without a display.

If the DS(M) could read a file list, the numbers could simply relate to the position in the list. There is no reason why the file names could not begin with those numbers, to make same more human readable. I do like to avoid scans if possible. Working off file name data keeps everything in one place and avoids the inconsistency and confusion that scanning systems create, particularly in the minds of the unwary.

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10/1 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
2017-12-18, 17:42
Jim Collinson Wrote:  how people use—or perhaps more accurately, used to use—Kinsky Jukebox. So I have a few questions:
1. What are your reasons for using Jukebox?

I liked the idea of being able to use just the remote control to access music. Plain old-fashioned style.

(2017-12-12 10:28)Jim Collinson Wrote:  2. Are you the primary user, or have you set it up for someone else to use?

Just me

(2017-12-12 10:28)Jim Collinson Wrote:  3. How do you choose to order your printout? E.g. One album per page or long alphabetical list of albums?

I sorted by composer (lastname) for classical, and favorite Bands/individuals for the rest, IIRC

(2017-12-12 10:28)Jim Collinson Wrote:  4. How do you deal with additions to your collection after indexing and printing out your list?

That's exactly the crucial point. I seriously proposed that the update feature should be implemented in the media server, so at one point I suggested to SimonCN to include some kind of jukebox feature, but to no avail. Having to fire up a PC, load KinskyJB und go through all that hassle, instead of just restarting the NAS was becoming tedious...

(2017-12-12 10:28)Jim Collinson Wrote:  5. Are the numbers albums are given important to you?

Not that important, no. But if I sort by album, those numbers should not change.

(2017-12-12 10:28)Jim Collinson Wrote:  6. What is frustrating about using Jukebox?

I always bemoaned that the last used playlist (the one I curated "by hand" in the control point) was gone as soon as I selected a jukebox playlist, with no means to restore it.

(2017-12-12 10:28)Jim Collinson Wrote:  7. What are Jukebox's missing features, how could it have been better?

It should be much easier to update / add albums, plus the navigation using the IR handset should be fool-proof.

Music never sounded this good.
2017-12-28, 14:21
I have remembered another thing that could have been better, if I recall. I seem to remember you couldn't ignore "The" when sorting artists.

♫ ♫ Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
♫ ♫ Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2018-01-04, 10:14
I never used Jukebox, but I would certainly appreciate having the capability to print out a list of my music - or preferably, as Briain suggested, export it as a text or csv file that I could import into a program such as Excel.

Akurate DSM, Akurate 4200 active, Ninkas (Main System), Sneaky DS, Wharfedale Diamonds (Secondary System), QNAP TS-219PII (MinimServer, Asset), iMac, MacBook Pro, iPad Air, iPhone 6+, Kinsky/Kazoo/Lumin
2018-01-19, 15:39
(2017-12-17 13:14)timster Wrote:  
(2017-12-17 11:26)at021971 Wrote:  Timstee is right, Control Point would have been the right expression for what I named Media Player in my post above.

And my 'Jukebox is an answer to a question nobody asked' refers to this extra effort of using an separate software that needs to be maintained anytime you change your library. There are more elegant solution implemented in products of other manufacturers.

Thomas

If it could be a simple configuration field in Konfig to point to an existing media server, and then be capable of browsing same in a way that can be done through a DS display and remote control, then I'd be all for it. I'm just not sure OpenHome would allow for it, and it doesn't help those with displayless DS's, such as Renews, Sneakys and Sekrits.

But - we live in hope that a solution will be found Smile

timster, I fully subscribe to what you wrote.

I haven't used Jukebox - to me it sounds like an application that tries to make up for the missing control point in the DSM. If I was able to browse my media servers library with the remote and the front display what would I be missing from Jukebox? Wife and kids could select their own playlists and start listening...
2018-01-19, 18:07
The one thing about jukebox was the ability to browse using the remote. Even though it was a bit clumsy.

The other thing was that you could just stuff all booklets in a book, write a number on each of them, and voila you could play an album just by entering its number on the remote. Cool idea to help people mitigate the pain of going from physical to virtual, but a DS is so much more capable today than it used to be (Spotify, Qobuz/Tidal...)

Music never sounded this good.
2018-01-24, 11:39
Hi Folks,

Thanks for all you input and insight.

We’ve been, thinking, planning, and building. Although some of you will be disappointed to know we won’t be offering a straight replacement for jukebox in the near future, we do have several new features in the pipeline that have been directly influenced by these conversations.

You’ll see some updates coming soon that we’re will make access to your music and playlists faster and more immediate; as well as more straightforward for less confident members of the household too.

Jim