Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-04-21, 12:27 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / Any News on Linn Support for Streaming from DSM to PC/Mac for Digitizing Vinyl?

Any News on Linn Support for Streaming from DSM to PC/Mac for Digitizing Vinyl?
2017-12-15, 11:48 (This post was last modified: 2017-12-15 11:49 by JensA.)
Any News on Linn Support for Streaming from DSM to PC/Mac for Digitizing Vinyl?
I am digitizing vinyl with Vinylstudio which is really excellent for this purpose, Audacity is a very good freeware for digitizing vinyl and there are various other alternatives for digitizing software.

Therefore there is absolutely no need for Linn to develop recording software, however a Linn software feature I (and apparently many other owners of Linn record players and streamers as well) am still missing in this context is the is the support for streaming from a Linn DSM to a PC or Mac.

I know from below quoted thread that Linn is well aware of this issue and three years ago in December 2014 it was on their "To Do" list.

The DSM's already have the "Songcast sender" feature, so it would "only" require to have the corresponding "Songcast receiver" software for Mac and PCs to have a solution.
Forum member Doomhammer has developed a solution for Windows PC's (Songcorder) but being a Mac user this doesn't help me.
Apple has stopped to producing Macs with digital audio in and the only solution I have is to use a USB audio interface for a digital (Spdif/Toslink) to digital (USB) "conversion".
This additional hardware would become obsolete the very moment Linn would deliver this "Songcast receiver" feature.
I am not a software developer but understand from Doomhammer that this feature is not terribly difficult to implement.

Is there any good news we can expect from Linn?

Jens

(2014-12-17 13:43)Ian Wilson Wrote:  
(2014-12-16 14:14)vincent Wrote:  
(2014-12-14 17:41)Baba Yaga Wrote:  That is exa(k)tly my questionBig Grin

Anyone from Linn listening to this thread? Rolleyes

Yes we are listening. This is still an area that is of interest to us vinyl enthusiast and I know it's not as accurate a response as you would all like but it's on the "to-do" list.

It's unlikely that we would develop the ripping software when there are great products like VinylStudio out there but the streaming aspect to link from a DSM to a PC/MAC is where we can add value.

Ian

Stereo: Majik DSM/2 - Thorens 126 Mk III Centennial - B&W CM7
AV: Benq W2000 - Sony UHP-H1 - Apple TV - Amazon Fire TV
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-12-15, 12:05 (This post was last modified: 2017-12-15 12:06 by timster (RadiatorCatHammock).)
RE: Any News on Linn Support for Streaming from DSM to PC/Mac for Digitizing Vinyl?
While songcorder is good for PCs, it isn't really a receiver as it creates WAV files, and can only run for an hour.
Your best bet is to use the OpenHome Player on your Mac, so you can multiroom from the DS. How you then capture it to record vinyl is another question.
http://openhome.org/pages/use/downloads/mac.html

♫ ♫ Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
♫ ♫ Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-12-15, 23:07
RE: Any News on Linn Support for Streaming from DSM to PC/Mac for Digitizing Vinyl?
(2017-12-15 12:05)timster Wrote:  While songcorder is good for PCs, it isn't really a receiver as it creates WAV files, and can only run for an hour.
Your best bet is to use the OpenHome Player on your Mac, so you can multiroom from the DS. How you then capture it to record vinyl is another question.
http://openhome.org/pages/use/downloads/mac.html

Thanks timster,

I have installed Openhome Player on my Imac but obviously I am too dumb to get it working.
I have set the Songcast Sender attribute (within Konfig) to Songcast Sender enabled and output mode to unicast.
I am playing a record on my Thorens but when openinhgopenhome player (icon is visible in the menu bar) and start "Play" nothing happens.

Can you enlighten me?

Jens

2017-12-16, 08:14
The OpenHome player is an emulation of a DS. So it acts as if it were another DS, you use it as if it were another "Room". You need to make sure it is running on your Mac, then you will be able to see it as a Room in Kazoo and it's configuration is available in Konfig (like any other DS). You then multi-room with it from Kazoo, just like it really was another DS on your network.

♫ ♫ Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5

Hello to Jason Isaacs
2017-12-16, 12:19 (This post was last modified: 2017-12-16 12:20 by JensA.)
(2017-12-16 08:14)timster Wrote:  The OpenHome player is an emulation of a DS. So it acts as if it were another DS, you use it as if it were another "Room". You need to make sure it is running on your Mac, then you will be able to see it as a Room in Kazoo and it's configuration is available in Konfig (like any other DS). You then multi-room with it from Kazoo, just like it really was another DS on your network.

Timster,

thanks, very helpful Smile

Streaming vinyl to my iMac works fine now but Vinylstudio cannot capture the Vinyl....

2017-12-16, 14:09
(2017-12-16 12:19)JensA Wrote:  
(2017-12-16 08:14)timster Wrote:  The OpenHome player is an emulation of a DS. So it acts as if it were another DS, you use it as if it were another "Room". You need to make sure it is running on your Mac, then you will be able to see it as a Room in Kazoo and it's configuration is available in Konfig (like any other DS). You then multi-room with it from Kazoo, just like it really was another DS on your network.

Timster,

thanks, very helpful Smile

Streaming vinyl to my iMac works fine now but Vinylstudio cannot capture the Vinyl....

That I can't help you with I'm afraid. At least you're halfway there and have the music stream playing on your Mac. How you capture it is another matter, but I would have thought Audacity or your Vinylstudio could somehow. Maybe it needs some sort of jiggery pokery in the Mac's soundcard or sound settings, or in Vinylstudio itself.
(And it would be the same for any "songcast receiver" btw - and is probably what Doomhammer has done with Songcorder).

Hello to Jason Isaacs
2017-12-16, 18:03
(2017-12-16 14:09)timster Wrote:  That I can't help you with I'm afraid. At least you're halfway there and have the music stream playing on your Mac. How you capture it is another matter, but I would have thought Audacity or your Vinylstudio could somehow. Maybe it needs some sort of jiggery pokery in the Mac's soundcard or sound settings, or in Vinylstudio itself.
(And it would be the same for any "songcast receiver" btw - and is probably what Doomhammer has done with Songcorder).

Timster,
Vinylstudio (and Audacity) capture from the selected input device but the only selectable device is my iMac's internal Mic but not the stream from DSM's songcast sender.

Jens

2017-12-16, 18:51
(2017-12-16 18:03)JensA Wrote:  
(2017-12-16 14:09)timster Wrote:  That I can't help you with I'm afraid. At least you're halfway there and have the music stream playing on your Mac. How you capture it is another matter, but I would have thought Audacity or your Vinylstudio could somehow. Maybe it needs some sort of jiggery pokery in the Mac's soundcard or sound settings, or in Vinylstudio itself.

Timster,
Vinylstudio (and Audacity) capture from the selected input device but the only selectable device is my iMac's internal Mic but not the stream from DSM's songcast sender.

Jens

Hmm. Then I doubt any implementation by Linn of a songcast receiver won't help you any more than OpenHome player (they are effectively the same thing).
Only option for you is to use songcorder somehow - either a cheap PC, or is there a Windows emulator for Mac? I believe there is but I have no idea about that, like you I am no a computer expert.

Hello to Jason Isaacs
2017-12-17, 00:11
(2017-12-16 18:51)timster Wrote:  
(2017-12-16 18:03)JensA Wrote:  

Timster,

Jens

Hmm. Then I doubt any implementation by Linn of a songcast receiver won't help you any more than OpenHome player (they are effectively the same thing).
Only option for you is to use songcorder somehow - either a cheap PC, or is there a Windows emulator for Mac? I believe there is but I have no idea about that, like you I am no a computer expert.

Vinylstudio can record from any selectable audio input device, ofcourse.

The problem with OH is that the OpenHome Player doesn't appear as audio input device in my IMac's sound settings (while Songcast is listed as an audio output device).

2017-12-17, 10:59
For those of you not afraid of terrible user interfaces and having a Windows machine at hand, have you tried Songcorder already?

It hasn't been updated in a while, but I'm just getting back to making it a bit better, I hope Smile