Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-06-22, 04:20 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / Stylus cleaning

Stylus cleaning
2017-12-24, 04:09 (This post was last modified: 2017-12-24 04:12 by Christopher Ward.)
Stylus cleaning
Hi I Am eagerly awaiting my first Lp12 Majik . Present from my wife for 50th. My question is around stylus cleaning.I Presently use the dust buster gel which I find works well , however I am keen not to damage my new stylus and would welcome linns advice on both daily cleaning and occasional deeper cleaning. Also if the dust buster is recommended , how should I use this in practice with my new stylus. Also do new decks from linn come with some of the green paper mentioned in this forum. If not where can I get the right stuff. Thank you in advance ,Christopher
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-12-24, 04:36 (This post was last modified: 2017-12-24 05:26 by LD100.)
RE: Stylus cleaning
I have been using the Onzow Zerodust after playing each record side.

About once a week I use Lyra SPT fluid on the stylus to get anything that the Zerodust may have missed. I have been following that procedure for as long as I can remember.
Back in the days before Onzow Zerodust or Lyra SPT became available, I just used Discwasher or Audio Technica stylus cleaning fluid on the various cartridges that I've used over the last 50 plus years.

I happen to have a Lyra cartridge now, you should follow the manufacturers recommendation for your particular cartridge. Smile
Usually the cartridge manufacturer supplies cleaning instructions...usually.Sad

You may find this post interesting...http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.php?tid=38164

Original 1978 Fluted Afromosia LP12, Ekos 2, Lyra Kleos SL and lots of other stuff from the 70's that still work fine.
2017-12-24, 13:46
(2017-12-24 04:36)LD100 Wrote:  ...
You may find this post interesting...http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.php?tid=38164

Actually, a quite interesting post indeed!
Especially, one question in the thread struck me. It suggested, that there are cases where the cantilever collapsed without liquid cleaner ever being used. This appears exactly what happened to my first Krystal. While playing a record, the arm suddenly - somewhere in the middle of the record - lost track and travelled towards the platter spindle.
Afterwards I noticed, that the cantilever was bent, and according to my dealer almost broken.
I cannot proof any cause and effect here, but I'm not aware of any maltreatment to the system. And I've been used to playing records for almost 50 yrs.
I went digital meanwhile and play records only very occasional now. Can't rule out, that I'm just afraid of another cantilever accident as I never understood what caused the issue. I have been collecting vinyls since the seventies, and the bigger part of my treasures aren't available on digital. So I lost many tunes this way ...
Happy holidays, and may the tracking force be with you!
CW
2017-12-24, 15:43 (This post was last modified: 2017-12-24 15:47 by lambo.)
Hi
I was one of the users who used a liquid stylus cleaner and my Krystal
suddenly collapsed after just 300 hours
I have been in communication with linn for the last month regarding cleaning of the linn Krystal
Here is a summary of their comments which I think you will find useful
Kind regards
Tony

Dear Tony,

Thank you for your e-mail.

Please see http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.p...#pid458514 We would recommend the use of green stylus paper or a dry vibrating pad such as the one you have.

The method of cleaning the stylus can be found below.

Do not blow dust off the stylus as this can blow dirt and moisture inside the mechanism and clog up the coils.

Two complimentary methods of cleaning:

a. Linn ‘green paper’. Cut in strips approx. 20 mm x 40 mm and support at one end only while drawing in tracking direction (back towards front) across stylus tip. This method will clean and polish the stylus tip.
b. Ultrasonic stylus cleaner. Use dry, and keep liquid supplied to clean the pad only. This method will clean the complete diamond, if used periodically for 3 - 5 minute sessions.

Determining how often you would need to clean your stylus is a difficult one.

Given the subjective nature of this question and how clean your records are there may not be a need to clean your stylus every ten hours. However I could not advise how often this should be done, however I would suggest to clean the stylus sparingly. Environmental conditions will also affect the cleanliness of your stylus.

My suggestion would be to listen to your turntable as normal, and when you start to hear a degradation of the sound, clean the stylus.

There are so many factors that would need to be considered, it is not possible to put a time scope on how often it should be cleaned.

Best Regards

Colin
2017-12-24, 15:44
Ask your dealer for the green paper. The precise spec has been stated on the forum if you check, possibly 3M something or other, but always got mine from my dealer.

Enjoy your LP12 and Merry Christmas!
2017-12-24, 16:08
This is my recommendation from an older thread:

https://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread....#pid407352

LP12, Exposure amps, Tannoy Speakers, Mana & Symposium Supports
2017-12-24, 16:26
It's 30 micron aluminium oxide lapping film.

Loricraft Garrard 401/Collinson/12"Bokrand-Ortofon/EMT TSD15 VdH. LP12 Wakonda/Black Ittok/Metak, LP12/Grace G707/Supex900 Super. 1973 LP12/SME3009/Shure V15/II. Castle Ariston RD11/SME3009/Ortofon MC10.
2017-12-24, 21:10
If we start up on the Krystal failures again, Linn will probably lock the thread as they did the first time.

My Krystal collapsed too. I sucked it up assuming it must have somehow been snagged, but there was no specific event to point to.

It appeared normal at the start of the side, and collapsed at the end.

Nothing from Linn but to say it’s not their fault.

I am not new to the hobby, nor a novice with prized cartridges. At one time I was a dealer for both Clearaudio and Dynavector.

FWIW, I’ve moved on to Lyra and view the Krystal’s very early failure as a serendipitous chance to try the Lyra early. Sometimes you have to pay some tuition.

I am not complaining. The Lyra is an even better fit for my system.

It’s about the music, not the gear. Just listen - or not.
2017-12-24, 22:42 (This post was last modified: 2017-12-24 23:27 by lambo.)
Shy RE: Stylus cleaning
Hi
The purpose of my reply was to answer the o/p question

“I am keen not to damage my new stylus and would welcome linns advice on both daily cleaning and occasional deeper cleaning”

the advice I posted was given to me by linn customer service in December 2017 so as up to date as it gets !!
I wish linn had given me that advice when I purchased my original Krystal
Kind regards
Tony
2017-12-25, 06:32
Thanks for taking the time folks to reply. Looks like it's green paper then and a future purchase of an ultrasonic cleaner . Cheers , Christopher.