Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-04-21, 12:21 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / Linn..clinical...maybe 12 years ago!

Linn..clinical...maybe 12 years ago!
2017-12-27, 20:33 (This post was last modified: 2017-12-27 20:34 by APA3.)
Linn..clinical...maybe 12 years ago!
Folks, I remember some 12 to 14 years back in some hotel Hi Fi Show in Glasgow. I remember thinking Linn stand sounded a tad clincal....and sadly I forgot about the brand....until a few weeks ago.

I have had a fair few digital sources over the years...most recently a Plinius Toko, and an Auralic Aries with Lindemann DAC...those went...and a mate of mine offered a loan of his Linn Akurate DS1....and I now own it!.....LOVE it....clinical...no...far from it. Best digital source I've heard...and the intergration with the Kazoo app is sublime.

Was so impressed I looked up the Klimax DS...but I can dream on....tad out of my price range!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-12-27, 23:50
RE: Linn..clinical...maybe 12 years ago!
Most on here will agree with you about the AkurateDS but you will get some dissenters about Kazoo! If a KlimaxDS is a bit steep for you (and me!) take a listen to a Klimax Renew DS/1 (or later). 95% of the sound but relatively little money.
Or on the other hand just enjoy what you have.
Dave

LP12+Origin Live Alliance+Ortofon 2m Red > Graham Slee Communicator = KDSr/1 > silver > KK/1D > silver > Keltik Klimax XOvers > black > 2x4200/D > K600(+2) > Keltiks
2017-12-28, 03:04
Congratulations and welcome into the light. The Akurate DS is a fine piece of gear, enjoy.

1) Sonus Faber Amati Futura; Klimax Katalyst DSM; D’Agostino Momentum S250; Rega RP10 w/Aphelion & Linn Uphorik; Shunyata Denali, ICs, SCs & PCs
2) Luxman SQ-N100, PSB Imagine Mini, AR XA (refurbished), Klimax DSM Renew, Shunyata PS8, Nordost ICs & PCs, Acoustic Zen SCs
2017-12-28, 06:56
Welcome on the forum APA3.
There are still some combinations that, depending on your room, can sound clinical, so even though you're now converted to the Linn side, you still have to be a bit careful.
Having said that, there are plenty of warmer combinations as well, and as always with Linn, lots and lots of detail, soundstage and musicality. Smile

As far as Kazoo concerns, there are other control points as well, but if you love Kazoo, just keep loving it. Taste is personal.

Tin can telephone system.
2017-12-28, 11:43 (This post was last modified: 2017-12-28 11:45 by dubselect.)
Linn indeed sounds comfortable and a bit "warm".
"Clinical sound" comes from bad power quality. Dirty mains is a big problem for Linn devices, especially streamers. Sometimes (in case of "noisy mains") it is necessary to use a good power conditioner/power regenerator. I suppose that was precisely such a case at that time, at the Hi-Fi Show.

KDSM (magical 4.19.797), K320A (Latest spec) + Original stands (DIY mod), K345
Accessories: Bertram Cuprio Flow cables; PS Audio P3; Isotek Aquarius Evo3; Symposium Rollerblock Series 2+, Jr. HDSE, Jr.+; Finite Elemente Cerapuc; SubDude; Vicoustic Wavewood.
2017-12-28, 12:24
(2017-12-28 11:43)dubselect Wrote:  Linn indeed sounds comfortable and a bit "warm".
"Clinical sound" comes from bad power quality. Dirty mains is a big problem for Linn devices, especially streamers. Sometimes (in case of "noisy mains") it is necessary to use a good power conditioner/power regenerator. I suppose that was precisely such a case at that time, at the Hi-Fi Show.

Very possibly....and I do use a mains conditioner which amoung other things blocks DC. Makes a big difference.