Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-04-21, 12:26 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / The official Songcorder thread

The official Songcorder thread
2017-12-28, 12:12 (This post was last modified: 2018-02-21 06:17 by DoomHammer.)
The official Songcorder thread
Songcorder is a piece of software that allows digitizing Vinyl (or any other analogue or digital source you can play on Linn DSM).

Until now there was no single thread to post updates and announcements, mostly because there was no updates and announcements to post Smile

But since we now have a Mac version (albeit ugly and hard to use) and an excellent User's Guide by JensA I decided to start this thread.

You can use it for Q&A as well, but please report bugs and feature requests either to my email or directly on https://github.com/DoomHammer/songcorder .

Thanks and Happy Ripping!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-01-22, 22:51
RE: The official Songcorder thread
Understand that Doomhammer is about to release a new Songcorder version which introduces some extremely nice features.....

Stereo: Majik DSM/2 - Thorens 126 Mk III Centennial - B&W CM7
AV: Benq W2000 - Sony UHP-H1 - Apple TV - Amazon Fire TV
Find all posts by this user
2018-01-23, 14:46
Question: Songcorder always shows LATENCY:150ms when starting to record. I tried setting the Phono source to "Songcast sync" but the latency figure shown by Songcorder is still 150ms. Dispite that, does the Songcast Sync setting give Songcorder any more buffer to play with?

I only ask because sometimes Songcorder loses the connection (shows Disconnected, then Reset) if the PC is doing other things. Once even the PC going to the lock screen after 10 mins caused a disconnect. Since making the setting change it hasn't disconnected, even when deliberately starting other applications to cause extra load to the machine. Obviously my machine is quite old, only dual core so that doesn't help matters.

Thanks for this app though, works fine if I don't touch the PC and instead sit back and enjoy the music as I record!

--
Linn Majik DS-i (Dynamik) into PMC TB2+ on Partington super-dreadnaughts! NAD HTR2 remote, Chord cables/interconnects, Krystal Titan Mains.
2018-01-24, 11:45
(2018-01-23 14:46)jarvis Wrote:  Question: Songcorder always shows LATENCY:150ms when starting to record. I tried setting the Phono source to "Songcast sync" but the latency figure shown by Songcorder is still 150ms. Dispite that, does the Songcast Sync setting give Songcorder any more buffer to play with?

I only ask because sometimes Songcorder loses the connection (shows Disconnected, then Reset) if the PC is doing other things. Once even the PC going to the lock screen after 10 mins caused a disconnect. Since making the setting change it hasn't disconnected, even when deliberately starting other applications to cause extra load to the machine. Obviously my machine is quite old, only dual core so that doesn't help matters.

Thanks for this app though, works fine if I don't touch the PC and instead sit back and enjoy the music as I record!

I'll try to figure out that one, but for me it is exactly the same.

Meanwhile expect an update with FLAC support and custom filenames Smile
2018-01-26, 09:01
@Jarvis: I had the same Problem on a quad core machine with 16 GB RAM, but the songcorder Folder was on a RAID volume.

Putting it on the System drive and Setting to "Run as Administrator" solved the Problem for me.

All the best,
Michael
2018-02-16, 19:49
This is a rather splendid bit of software! Just tried it on our MDSM to grab a few minutes of Radio Paradise as a quick test and it worked very well (once I realised I needed to turn Songcast on!).
Not sure I have a use for it yet but a neat tool.
Mick

LP12SE * KDS/3 * Solos/1/D * Akubarik/P
MDSM/3 * Majik 109
2018-02-16, 20:24
(2018-02-16 19:49)mickc Wrote:  This is a rather splendid bit of software! Just tried it on our MDSM to grab a few minutes of Radio Paradise as a quick test and it worked very well (once I realised I needed to turn Songcast on!).
Mick

To make backups of Vinyls on LP12 perhaps? Smile

To record yourself playing guitar through DSM?

There are many ways and each new user surprises me with a case that I haven't imagined. Maybe reel-to-reel ripping?
2018-02-16, 22:05
(2018-02-16 20:24)DoomHammer Wrote:  
(2018-02-16 19:49)mickc Wrote:  This is a rather splendid bit of software! Just tried it on our MDSM to grab a few minutes of Radio Paradise as a quick test and it worked very well (once I realised I needed to turn Songcast on!).
Mick

To make backups of Vinyls on LP12 perhaps? Smile

To record yourself playing guitar through DSM?

There are many ways and each new user surprises me with a case that I haven't imagined. Maybe reel-to-reel ripping?

The LP12 is at a different site than the MDSM, unless of course Songcorder works on a vanilla DS, in which case I may try the LP12... Don’t see why it wouldn’t work but only DSM and DS-I models appear to be mentioned on the web page.

LP12SE * KDS/3 * Solos/1/D * Akubarik/P
MDSM/3 * Majik 109
2018-02-17, 06:56
I don't think you need to turn songcast on? All I do is play an LP, start songcorder and select the network and device. Or is it different on Macs?

♫ ♫ Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
♫ ♫ Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
2018-02-17, 10:19
You need Songcast on on the device that is "being recorded". For LP12 this would actually be some DSM it is connected to. You can of course record from plain DS as it features Songcast as well. The problem is with DS the list of possible things to record is far less exciting (no analogue inputs).

The original vision was LP12 connected with analogue to an ADC in DSM and then sent as a Songcast stream through Ethernet to be recorded by Songcorder. Reading the previous sentence I think we're using way too much jargon here...