Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-01-16, 14:02 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / 1989 Linn Sondek/Lingo 1/Naim Aro/Dynavector XX2-MKII

1989 Linn Sondek/Lingo 1/Naim Aro/Dynavector XX2-MKII
2018-01-06, 23:37
1989 Linn Sondek/Lingo 1/Naim Aro/Dynavector XX2-MKII
I've had it in storage for a few years while deciding if I want to start fresh with a new TT or spend the money for badly needed upgrades - at minimum a Cirkus and Trampolin. I know on a LINN forum the answers might skew towards the Linn (and it reminds me of the time I had to put a new transmission in an older BMW and the part was technically worth more than the car.) Love the Dynavector and the Aro, the LP 12 has annoyed with fussiness of set-up and it "going out of tune" often. Thoughts? [/font]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-01-06, 23:51 (This post was last modified: 2018-01-07 00:22 by charlie1.)
RE: 1989 Linn Sondek/Lingo 1/Naim Aro/Dynavector XX2-MKII
Your deck is pretty run of the mill by today's standards, what with so many third party products now available for the LP12.

You're in safe company too. There are many Aro and Dynavector owners on the forum.

Your deck shouldn't go out of tune if properly set-up. I would take it to a reputable LP12 dealer for a service and see what essential work needs doing, if any. Might not need much doing or it might need a new cartridge or AC motor or, indeed, a new main bearing.

Once that's done, then I would just live with it for a bit. Enjoy your vinyl collection, if you still have one, and perhaps buy a few new releases. Just see how you get on before splashing out. You might be surprised just how good it sounds as it is.
2018-01-07, 00:45
Pretty much what Charlie said.
If it’s been in storage a number of years, then it would benefit from a service and belt. You don’t need any upgrades unless you want to, it should sound superb if set up properly, and the cartridge rubber suspension has survived storage.
2018-01-07, 09:42 (This post was last modified: 2018-01-07 09:48 by moomintroll.)
It’s also worth getting the Lingo 1 serviced (recap and recalibration) Darren at Class A in Sheffield did mine for under £100 and it was worth every penny. Lingo 1s are getting long in the tooth (mine is 11xxx serial number) and the small caps will be drifting in value by now.

I can also thoroughly recommend a Kore subchassis, which, I believe, is available for the Aro.

Every part of the LP12 can be replaced, so really no need for a “new” turntable unless it was a more economical proposition, that’s why it would be best to discuss with a good dealer. Depending on what you what to change, for instance, if you decided on a new plinth, Cirkus and subchassis it may be worth starting with a new LP12 rather than adding those parts.

‘troll
2018-01-07, 14:58
I agree with charlie1, the deck shouldn't go out of tune if properly setup.

Gary

LP12/Cirkus/Radikal/Kore/Ekos1/Tkable balanced/Uphorik/Krystal/ADSM/1/aktiv Akubariks
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2018-01-09, 02:46
Thank you all for the prompt responses! I have taken your advice and have brought it to my local "Linn guy" for a nice tune-up and an upgrade or two. With regard to it going out of tune often, I think it's a combo of me moving it around in recent years and the storage. I haven't had it tuned up in years and within that time was a cross-country move. Very much looking forward to it and it's honestly a relief not to buy a new TT. I love the Aro - and while there will always be those who prefer different sonic "flavors" than that particular tonearm - it's a beautiful, smooth and very musical sounding arm. I found it perfect for the type of music I prefer (lots of chamber music.) And it just sounds so ... analog. I know it has a reputation for not sounding as "incisive" and for its bass not going as deep as a LINN arm but I love it as it is. Thank you all again and will post a pic once it is up and running.
2018-01-09, 08:58
You may consider replacing the sub-chassis as well. Even the Majik is a clear lift from the old version and also a bit of a bargian. Kore is off course better but avoiding overspending is sometimes nice as well.

LP12, Keel, Radikal, Ekos 2, Kandid, Urika, AEDSM, Majik Exaktbox I, MISO
Secondary system: Linn LP12, Ittok LVII, K18 MkII, Majik DSM/2, M6100, active M109
2018-01-13, 10:37
Listening (reading) to how you describe how wonderful it sounded in the past, just getting it serviced and living with it for a while is good advice. When you become curious about upgrades make sure you listen to your own deck side by side with the modern versions. You may prefer your classic LP12 sound and save a load of cash! I do prefer the modern post Cirkus presentation but not all do.

Have fun.

Stu
2018-01-13, 19:52
We also have the Aro with XX2 combination and would highly recommend a Tigerpaw Skale for Aro counterweight. We were amazed at the difference it made.