Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-06-22, 02:20 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / Adikt too low?

Adikt too low?
2018-01-10, 10:21 (This post was last modified: 2018-01-10 10:25 by Espen.)
Adikt too low?
The stylus on my Adikt is starting to sound worn out, and I am in doubts about whether I should replace the entire PU or just the stylus.

Now and then I have been concerned that my cartridge is riding too low. After reading up on this I understand this to be an issue with the suspension in some older Adikt models degrading over time (https://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.php?tid=32335). The lowest part of the PU is approx. 1mm from the record while playing most records (black record in photo), while on the thickest records in my collection it is as low as 0.8mm (yellow record in photo).

Is this distance between the record and PU normal? Or do I need to consider a new PU?

[Image: 2eo8cqa.jpg]

[Image: 2lvnvyc.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-01-10, 12:12 (This post was last modified: 2018-01-10 12:47 by Glyn Ruck.)
RE: Adikt too low?
https://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread....ight=Adikt

Order the correct new stylus! "Adikt Stylus/1" as per Thomas OK's post & you need have no "low rider" fears.
2018-01-10, 13:42
Linn cartridges (though not made by Linn themselves) are generally low riders. I don't have an Adikt but my Krystal runs quite low. My dealer has a Majik LP12 and the Adikt on that one runs pretty low too. I don't think you need to order a new complete cartridge, a new stylus should do.

[Image: Cq2xPm8.jpg]

[Image: cIsLpaW.jpg]
2018-01-10, 17:49
Hi Espen, yes some older Adikt stylii run pretty low to the record. That problem seems to have been taken care of with the recent ones. The current stylus is called "Adikt Stylus/2" The improvements are in the stylus so there's no need to get the entire cartridge.

Gary

LP12/Cirkus/Radikal/Kore/Ekos1/Tkable balanced/Uphorik/Krystal/ADSM/1/aktiv Akubariks
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2018-01-10, 22:54
(2018-01-10 17:49)bettermusic Wrote:  Hi Espen, yes some older Adikt stylii run pretty low to the record. That problem seems to have been taken care of with the recent ones. The current stylus is called "Adikt Stylus/2" The improvements are in the stylus so there's no need to get the entire cartridge.

Also get the dealer to double check tracking down force of the arm. Ittok and Ekos can be c. +10 to 12% out on the indicated markings - playing too heavy. I use one of these http://www.rega.co.uk/atlas.html Very simple and quick to use - £175 fine if your setting up Rega/LP12s most days.

www.hiddensystems.co.uk
www.facebook.com/hiddensystems
www.twitter.com/hiddensystems
2018-01-11, 09:13 (This post was last modified: 2018-01-11 12:13 by smokestack.)
If a large proportion of Ekos arms exhibit a 10 % over downforce calibration error...that would indicate that the bias calibration, usually thought to be under, was correct all along for many arms !

I must confess to seldom having checked it with a gauge when I had access to arms on a daily basis, always preferring to set it by ear.

That said, and contrary to the popular wisdom, a large majority of high quality cartridges would perform best towards the low end of the recommended range [as indicted on the dial], and usually with a 0.2 gms or so extra on the bias...so maybe the tracking force dials do read lower than the actual force.
2018-01-11, 10:30
I currently have a 2016 Adikt/1 stylus (bought when the Adikt/1 was a relatively new series) and it has not shown the droopy syndrome of my numerous previous Adikt stylii (without suffix). I've never seen an Adikt/2 stylus so cannot comment on those. I only every had one that got low enough to foul the vinyl - after that one I became very aware of the syndrome and changed them out more regularly (even though they had relatively low hours on them). Looking at the diamond under the microscope at my collection of removed stylii the tips are in very good condition (using a very low hours (<50) stylus as a reference. Low-riding in my experience is not down to hours used but is an ageing phenomenon (and quite a short one too).

Good news is that even the Adikt/1 appears to be much better.

Primary: LP12, Dino/Dino+, KRDS/1, Akurate Tuner, USC, Sony BRP, Kinos, 3 x 5125, K400, Espeks, Ekwal, Katans, 2 x Sizmik 10.5, Stax 507. Stands Unique Supports
Secondary: LP12, ADSM (Exakt), Majik Exaktbox(i), K400, Keilidhs, Stands Unique Support
Tertiary: Raumfeld Connector, Classik, Kan IVs
2018-01-11, 12:55
Don't know what your system is, but if you can use a low output MC cartridge, I moved from my Adikt to an Audio Technica F7 after a recommendation from Peter at Cymbiosis. I find it an excellent cartridge and at about £220 it is less than an Adikt and about the same price as a replacement Adikt stylus.

Review:

Audio Technica's AT-F7 Moving Coil phono cartridge features the company's celebrated dual coil design with an elliptical stylus for class leading sound and reliability.

Excellent Sound
One of the finest phono cartridges we've heard at this price, Audio Technica AT-F7 sounds incredibly transparent with excellent frequency response and precise stereo imaging. Finished in a stylish silver housing that looks great on most turntables.

Elliptical Stylus
The elliptical stylus has two radii, the front radius being wider than the side radius. This allows the stylus to ride in the centre of the groove, while the smaller side radius can more accurately track higher frequencies and offers stunning clarity.

I paired it with a Project Phono Box. This gave me the option to use both MM and MC cartridges and together with the AT F7 was less than a new Adikt.

Just another option you might consider.

In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder, bloodshed. They produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, five hundred years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock.
2018-01-11, 15:05
(2018-01-10 10:21)Espen Wrote:  The stylus on my Adikt is starting to sound worn out, and I am in doubts about whether I should replace the entire PU or just the stylus.

Now and then I have been concerned that my cartridge is riding too low. After reading up on this I understand this to be an issue with the suspension in some older Adikt models degrading over time (https://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.php?tid=32335). The lowest part of the PU is approx. 1mm from the record while playing most records (black record in photo), while on the thickest records in my collection it is as low as 0.8mm (yellow record in photo).

Is this distance between the record and PU normal? Or do I need to consider a new PU?

Mine is similar (3 yo) and has no problem.

Regards

M.

LP12 / Kore / Trampolin 2 / Akito 3b / Akurate Radikal / Adikt / T-Kable / Slipsik 6 - Cambridge CXN - AK/1 - A2200/1 - M109
Silver - K200
2018-01-11, 16:14
(2018-01-10 12:12)Glyn Ruck Wrote:  https://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread....ight=Adikt

Order the correct new stylus! "Adikt Stylus/1" as per Thomas OK's post & you need have no "low rider" fears.

That's correct and as my post #5 in the thread mentioned, I reported problems back in 2013 and thankfully once the problem was verified and found to be not a "one-off" by the factory and Goldring, a cure was implemented to eradicate the problem and I have not seen any issues with the /1 Adikt since.

KR

Peter

Fettling LP12s since 1980 and member here since 2008
Tel 0333 200 4475
Email - peter@cymbiosis.com
Skype - peteratcymbiosis
Facebook - www.facebook.com/Cymbiosisaudio/
www.cymbiosis.com