Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-01-17, 10:14 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / Drive Motor and Pulley Query

Drive Motor and Pulley Query
2018-01-10, 13:42
Drive Motor and Pulley Query
Hi all

what would be the benefits of replacing my 1979 drive motor and pulley with a new up to date one?

Would it be £100 well spent or would the money be best going elsewhere?

Mant thanks

CPG
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-01-10, 14:00
RE: Drive Motor and Pulley Query
I replaced mine concurrent with my Valhalla failure last year.

The new motor felt far smoother when I operated it in my hand.

Mine was a 60 Hz motor as exported to the USA in the 1976-78 time frame. So it had the wrong pulley to match with the current power supplies. Aside from this pulley mismatch, I would not have replaced it. But the new motor was clearly smoother than the old.

FWIW, I got the upgrade bug and have gone to DC motor options since.

LP12, Woodsong Woburn Abbey Oak Plinth, Tramp2, Cirkus, Keel, Radikal, Ekos SE/1, Lyra Delos, Uphorik, Krell KSP-7B, biamped Krell KSA-150s, ML Theos, ML 210 sub.
LP12, Greeves plinth, Cirkus, Kore, Mober Maxxon, Ittok LVII mk2, Ortofon MC-3 Turbo, CJ PV8 SE phono, CJ ET3 SE, CJ MF2550 SE, Thiel CS2.
2018-01-10, 14:08
Any sound differentials Peer?
2018-01-10, 14:28
I replaced the belt, the pulley, the motor, and the power supply as the Valhalla fix, so I can’t specifically attribute the obvious improvements to the motor by itself.

The new motor vibrated noticeably less and the shaft and mounted pulley felt tighter in the bearing.

As I mentioned, the old deck sounded good until it failed, but it sounded quite a bit better with the new parts.

LP12, Woodsong Woburn Abbey Oak Plinth, Tramp2, Cirkus, Keel, Radikal, Ekos SE/1, Lyra Delos, Uphorik, Krell KSP-7B, biamped Krell KSA-150s, ML Theos, ML 210 sub.
LP12, Greeves plinth, Cirkus, Kore, Mober Maxxon, Ittok LVII mk2, Ortofon MC-3 Turbo, CJ PV8 SE phono, CJ ET3 SE, CJ MF2550 SE, Thiel CS2.
2018-01-10, 14:47
Ha yeah a bit difficult trying to isolate improvements there! However from your description it sounds like it should....less vibrations etc.

Perhaps one of the fettlers will have an idea.

Thanks Peer
2018-01-10, 23:37
(2018-01-10 13:42)CPG Wrote:  Hi all

what would be the benefits of replacing my 1979 drive motor and pulley with a new up to date one?

Would it be £100 well spent or would the money be best going elsewhere?

Mant thanks

CPG

I think the Linn motor may have had a serious increase in price recently. Not quite the £100 it was......
2018-01-11, 00:15
Have seen online today retailing at £100. Do you know of any advantages? Ta