Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-01-17, 02:16 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / Flying Leads

Flying Leads
2018-01-11, 22:12 (This post was last modified: 2018-01-11 22:13 by Dasher.)
Flying Leads
Hi all

I'm really struggling with getting flying leads to fit. I'm aware that the cartridge pins and arm pins (Ekos 2) are different diameters and I have become aware that not all cartridge pins are the same diameter. I've removed my Adikt and am trying to fit my Soundsmith rebuilt Asaka. The pins on the Asaka are of a smaller diameter than the Adikt. I damaged a lead end last weekend trying to squeeze one tighter and closed it too far (and then in trying to re-open it (big mistake) snapped it off). I've bought some new leads (AO VDH ones) but have exactly the same problem. No matter how I try, I cannot get them to reduce in internal diameter in order to grip the cartridge pin.

Does anyone know of a source of flying leads that fit the narrower diameter cartridge pins (and the Ekos 2 pins)? I'm glad that I didn't go for silver wire ones as I've wasted £20 already! I'd rather know that what I'm buying will definitely fit before ordering any new ones.

Primary: LP12, Dino/Dino+, KRDS/1, Akurate Tuner, USC, Sony BRP, Kinos, 3 x 5125, K400, Espeks, Ekwal, Katans, 2 x Sizmik 10.5, Stax 507. Stands Unique Supports
Secondary: LP12, ADSM (Exakt), Majik Exaktbox(i), K400, Keilidhs, Stands Unique Support
Tertiary: Raumfeld Connector, Classik, Kan IVs
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-01-11, 22:17
RE: Flying Leads
Have you tried inserting a cocktail stick or similar into the lead ends first to prevent them from breaking when you compress them?

Fidelity UA4 alumnus. Exakt skeptik.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2018-01-11, 22:24
No I haven't - I was looking for something around 1mm. Worth a try!

Primary: LP12, Dino/Dino+, KRDS/1, Akurate Tuner, USC, Sony BRP, Kinos, 3 x 5125, K400, Espeks, Ekwal, Katans, 2 x Sizmik 10.5, Stax 507. Stands Unique Supports
Secondary: LP12, ADSM (Exakt), Majik Exaktbox(i), K400, Keilidhs, Stands Unique Support
2018-01-11, 23:48
Sewing needle, 1.08mm did the trick - thanks Komri

2018-01-12, 08:53
I've never understood why more cartridge leads don't have triangular cross section tags akin to the old Rega type . They're much easier to nip up for a snug consistent fit than the tubular ones.
2018-01-12, 10:01
These VDH ones are a bit of a hybrid actually - flat bottomed with two curved sides making a sort of open triangle. Nipping them onto a 1mm post just doesn't work but shaping them around the 1.08mm needle shaft has done the job. Nipping them without internal support is doomed to failure as one side closes over the other - never to move back again!

The needle trick has worked. I didn't trust my eyeball but pressed a digital Vernier calliper into action!