Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-06-22, 02:26 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / iOS Kazoo / TIDAL - playlist management

iOS Kazoo / TIDAL - playlist management
2018-01-14, 14:12
iOS Kazoo / TIDAL - playlist management
I am in the free trial period with TIDAL to compare it to Spotify. The integration of TIDAL in iOS Kazoo is nice up to a point - I cannot figure out how to add tracks to TIDAL playlists, only a local playlist. There is a basic Favourite feature, but I've not found how to add tracks to TIDAL playlists on my account. When I go to the TIDAL iOS app, there is full playlist management functionality, but I can only airplay content to my Linn streamers, which sort of defeats the point of TIDAL? Is there something basic that I'm missing here? Kazoo can see TIDAL playlists I've created via TIDAL, but I can't see how to add to these.

Spotify on the other hand does not have rich integration with Kazoo but at least when using the Spotify app, I don't have to airplay to my streamers and I do get full playlist management.

Is this just how it is or is there something I'm missing? Easy management of centrally stored playlists is an essential feature for me in any streaming service. On the face of it, I can't see how the Linn/TIDAL combo provides that.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-01-14, 14:24
RE: iOS Kazoo / TIDAL - playlist management
(2018-01-14 14:12)ac16161 Wrote:  I am in the free trial period with TIDAL to compare it to Spotify. The integration of TIDAL in iOS Kazoo is nice up to a point - I cannot figure out how to add tracks to TIDAL playlists, only a local playlist. There is a basic Favourite feature, but I've not found how to add tracks to TIDAL playlists on my account. When I go to the TIDAL iOS app, there is full playlist management functionality, but I can only airplay content to my Linn streamers, which sort of defeats the point of TIDAL? Is there something basic that I'm missing here? Kazoo can see TIDAL playlists I've created via TIDAL, but I can't see how to add to these.

Spotify on the other hand does not have rich integration with Kazoo but at least when using the Spotify app, I don't have to airplay to my streamers and I do get full playlist management.

Is this just how it is or is there something I'm missing? Easy management of centrally stored playlists is an essential feature for me in any streaming service. On the face of it, I can't see how the Linn/TIDAL combo provides that.

You can't manage Tidal playlists though Kazoo (ie create or edit them), but as you say, you can access and play them so no need for Airplay.

♫ ♫ Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
♫ ♫ Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2018-01-14, 14:56
(2018-01-14 14:24)timster Wrote:  
(2018-01-14 14:12)ac16161 Wrote:  I am in the free trial period with TIDAL to compare it to Spotify. The integration of TIDAL in iOS Kazoo is nice up to a point - I cannot figure out how to add tracks to TIDAL playlists, only a local playlist. There is a basic Favourite feature, but I've not found how to add tracks to TIDAL playlists on my account. When I go to the TIDAL iOS app, there is full playlist management functionality, but I can only airplay content to my Linn streamers, which sort of defeats the point of TIDAL? Is there something basic that I'm missing here? Kazoo can see TIDAL playlists I've created via TIDAL, but I can't see how to add to these.

You can't manage Tidal playlists though Kazoo (ie create or edit them), but as you say, you can access and play them so no need for Airplay.

Thanks, but the key feature for me in using a streaming service is that I can discover new content and add it to a central playlist at that moment. If I can't do that with Kazoo/TIDAL then TIDAL is a non-starter for me if the alternative is to rely on Airplay when I'd be paying £20/month. With Spotify all control devices see the same playlists at the same time and I don't have to Airplay. There are other drawbacks of course.

I hope at some point Linn work more on centralised playlist management in Kazoo, that would be a big step forward.
2018-01-14, 16:16
(2018-01-14 14:56)ac16161 Wrote:  I hope at some point Linn work more on centralised playlist management in Kazoo, that would be a big step forward.
... or integrate better with Roon (see separate thread) to give a significant leap forward in user experience for those of us who believe that exploring and sharing playlists is a core part of musical enjoyment (not everyone does, see Roon thread).
2018-01-15, 23:01
(2018-01-14 14:56)ac16161 Wrote:  
(2018-01-14 14:24)timster Wrote:  

Thanks, but the key feature for me in using a streaming service is that I can discover new content and add it to a central playlist at that moment. If I can't do that with Kazoo/TIDAL then TIDAL is a non-starter for me if the alternative is to rely on Airplay when I'd be paying £20/month. With Spotify all control devices see the same playlists at the same time and I don't have to Airplay. There are other drawbacks of course.

I hope at some point Linn work more on centralised playlist management in Kazoo, that would be a big step forward.

I know what you mean. I work around this by tagging a track a Favourite in Kazoo and then going into the Tidal app and adding it to any Tidal playlists (track can then be unfavourited if you like). Clunky though.

Ian