Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-06-18, 06:50 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / Akito 1 Bearings

Akito 1 Bearings
2018-03-03, 18:34
Akito 1 Bearings
Hi all, I am looking for some help with fixing an Akito 1 with sticky horizontal bearings. I recently bought an Axis turntable with the Akito and a K9 cartridge which was a good deal due to some cosmetic damage to the plinth. Against better advice and judgement I took a risk on the table on eBay due to the price. The purpose was to donate the arm and cartridge to an early LP12 I recently bought.

I removed the arm from the table to test the bearings and sure enough there is a little bit of sticking in one point of the arm's motion. I cleaned the bearings by spraying a generous application of contact cleaner through the underside of the anti-skate mechanism and through the grub screw hole in the base of the arm. Cleaning the bearings seems to have cured the problem and now I'm wondering about what lubrication if any should be used on the bearings. Anyone have any guidance on what to use?

I'm also wondering if anyone has any information on sourcing replacement bearings for the arm. I think disassembling the arm and replacing the bearings is something I could manage if I could find the right bearings. I've also been thinking about having the arm professionally rebuilt (Audio Origami or other). I'm just debating whether the total outlay on refurbishing the Akito might be better spent on an Ittok.

Thanks in advance for any help. bmdduck
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-03-03, 19:07
RE: Akito 1 Bearings
There is only one reasonable option - consult Johnnie at Audio Origami in Glasgow.

Best,

John Hirsch
2018-03-03, 20:03
(2018-03-03 19:07)John Hirsch Wrote:  There is only one reasonable option - consult Johnnie at Audio Origami in Glasgow.

Best,

John Hirsch

+1
I just bought a pre-owned arm, and will be arranging to take it to Audio Origami.

Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of the party.
And bring your favourite album with !
2018-03-03, 20:49
Thanks... Audio Origami seems to be the right place to get it done right.

I am still interested in any information on the replacement bearings and lube.

bmdduck
2018-03-04, 13:07
I stripped one down a few years ago and replaced all bearings etc with higher spec versions. I think I still have one pair here but honestly can't remember whether the vertical bearings are the same as the horizontal ones. Either way, they are a very common size and easily sourced so if you strip it down you should be able to measure and re order. I obtained metal shield versions then remove the shields which is fine if the bearings are not going to be exposed to dirt and dust and reduces friction. Also you do not want to lubricate them, that just increases stiction. Most of these bearings are made for high speed use, not just a 20 degree rotation in arm use. Take your time seating and aligning the bearings to achieve optimum adjustment. It's a time consuming process and J7 offers an excellent value service.
2018-03-05, 12:38
Thanks TPA...good advice. At this point I plan to use the Akito on the LP12 for a while as I think the stickiness has been fixed. Some time later t I will send it out to AO for a thorough rebuild with new bearings and wiring.