Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-06-18, 06:56 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / Questions for Urika II owners

Questions for Urika II owners
2018-03-04, 14:37
Questions for Urika II owners
A couple of questions for you lucky Urika II owners:

1) What ethernet cable are you using for the Exakt link out of the Urika II? We know it's not supposed to make any difference, but it seems perverse not to spend a few quid on this given the overall cost of the upgrade.

2) When fitting the Urika II, did you have installed an optical cable using the Toslink digital output (there according to Linn 'to connect to an external Digital recording device'), and if so have you tried this?

Hoping to make the change soon Smile

vincent
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-03-04, 15:02 (This post was last modified: 2018-03-04 15:02 by JDEC.)
RE: Questions for Urika II owners
(2018-03-04 14:37)vincent Wrote:  1) What ethernet cable are you using for the Exakt link out of the Urika II? We know it's not supposed to make any difference, but it seems perverse not to spend a few quid on this given the overall cost of the upgrade.

Vincent,

There is no supposed to about it.

What is perverse is actually contemplating throwing money at something that will make no difference whatsoever.

P.T.Barnum is often quoted as having said "There's a sucker born every minute".

Now maybe that's a bit harsh, but decent quality CAT5 is all you need.

I understand if anyone hears a difference - but I know that the difference is only perceived, not real.

KR

J
2018-03-04, 16:17
(2018-03-04 15:02)JDEC Wrote:  Now maybe that's a bit harsh, but decent quality CAT5 is all you need.

Well that's rather my point. What is a 'decent quality' cable (your answer implies some are not)? Are the ones supplied as standard with all routers etc 'decent quality'?
2018-03-04, 17:37 (This post was last modified: 2018-03-04 17:38 by Dave J.)
When I demo a II, I’ll definitely have a listen to the most expensive cables I can possibly find. Smile
2018-03-04, 17:51
(2018-03-04 16:17)vincent Wrote:  
(2018-03-04 15:02)JDEC Wrote:  Now maybe that's a bit harsh, but decent quality CAT5 is all you need.

Well that's rather my point. What is a 'decent quality' cable (your answer implies some are not)? Are the ones supplied as standard with all routers etc 'decent quality'?

Point taken!

For me decent quality for cat5 is something that is physically robust. Metal rj45 connectors, and a jacket that doesn't split open the moment you bend it or tread on it.

Apologies for not picking up on the subtlety of the question.

J
2018-03-04, 19:08
I have just had my urika II installed with good quality (but not special) cat 5 cable.

Particularly if you are connecting direct to Exakt (which I am) it makes no difference. Similarly my speakers are connected to KEDSM with normal cat 5 cable.

I guess it is up to the buyer’s ears to decide if it sounds better with expensive cable (but I don’t believe it does).
2018-03-04, 20:18
To be honest, I am ordered for my Urika II a Audioquest Vodka Cable 1,5 m. I use the Vodka Cable for my Exakt System. But I don't use them to improve the audio quality, only for the quality of product - and the look ;-).
2018-03-04, 21:25
Mine is fitted with Audioquest Cinnamon running to my Klimax DS which was recommended by my dealer as a decent cable - I didn't audition but everything sounds great to me.
2018-03-04, 21:38
(2018-03-04 21:25)Orpheus Wrote:  Mine is fitted with Audioquest Cinnamon running to my Klimax DS which was recommended by my dealer as a decent cable - I didn't audition but everything sounds great to me.

+1 for the Audioquest Cinnamon line, well made, solid construction at a reasonable price. If you have special requirements regarding shielding then by all means go up the line and Audioquest will have something to suite your needs. Smile

Original 1978 Fluted Afromosia LP12, Ekos 2, Lyra Kleos SL and lots of other stuff from the 70's that still work fine.
2018-03-05, 00:40
The ethernet cable makes ZERO difference sonically. I bought an 8’ Cat 6 (they didn’t have the same length in Cat 5) from Best Buy. Save money and buy Scotch! It’s like saying different hard drives or NAS’s make your DS sound better.

Biggest consideration for the ethernet cable is to keep it under 100’.