Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-06-18, 06:50 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / Cartridge advice

Cartridge advice
2018-03-04, 22:31
Cartridge advice
Hi folks

I wasn’t quite sure where to post this as non-Linn. Though, here seemed most appropriate.

I have an ageing Rega Planar 3 that came from eBay about 10 years ago and appears to have their budget level Bias (red) cartridge fitted.

The Rega RB300 arm fitted is well regarded. However, my one requires a re-wire. A phono plug disintegrated and I’ve bodged it together. I’ve bought the re-wire/upgrade kit. Just trying to find the time to re-wire... The motor has failed previously; so, I upgraded it... Though, this was after thinking it was the bearing at fault and upgrading that... Oh, and the belts. So, it’s a bit like triggers broom.

My wife recently bought me some vinyl that I already have digitally. While I appreciate there will be differences, there really is a big detail and engagement gap to my Majik DSM digital setup. So, I’m looking to bring my existing record player up to a better standard.

I love the Linn sound of my Majik setup. However, I don’t own enough vinyl to justify £3k on a Majik LP12. So, looking to upgrade/Linnify my Rega. I can likely comfortably justify spending in the region of upto £250, this nicely brings in the Rega Exact (yellow) cartridge...

Is it worth putting an above intended budget Linn Adikt (Majik level?) on this player? Will a Linn cartridge give me the most Linn like sound? The replaceable stylus appeals and offsets some of the cost in my mind... I’ve seen a few Rega P3’s with the Linn K9 cartridge on an RB300 up for sale. So, I assume the brands have reasonably complementary sounds?

Any thoughts and other options are very welcome.

Richard

Linn Majik DSM/2 > Linn Silver IC > Linn Majik 4100/1 > Linn K400 (2x 2:4 bi-wire) > Linn Majik 140’s with Upgraded Plinths and Linn Skeets.
Synology 716+ NAS, Rega Planar 3 (Triggers broom/upgraded) with Linn Adikt Cartridge. Sub - BK XXLS400-FF
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-03-05, 01:50 (This post was last modified: 2018-03-05 16:03 by kiko65.)
RE: Cartridge advice
The Adikt will not “Linnify” your Rega. There is something Majikal about the LP12, it plays music like no other turntable. That said, the Adikt is a hell of a MM cart and worth every penny Wink

86LP12 + 2015 Cirkus + Lingo2 + 2015 Standard Aluminum Sub-chassis/arm-board + Ittok LVII + 2017 Soundsmith rebuilt Troika + T-Kable + Tramp2 + Linto + Akurate CD + AV5103/AV5105 + 2X AV5125 + 2X Ninka + Trikan + 2X Komponent 104 + Sizmik10.25 + Silvers + Blacks + K400s + K20s
2018-03-07, 09:44 (This post was last modified: 2018-03-07 09:47 by Rich9600.)
So, tonearm is now re-wired. Old Rega Bias 2 cartridge re-fitted, aligned, tracked etc. Now the player works properly and shows all the typical signs of a dead stylus. I hope I haven’t killed any records...

After some research and checking what my local shop sells, it seems I have the choice of Linn Adikt or Oforton 2m (Blue, Bronze or Black). The Linn Adikt would be the direct match to my other Linn components and the Oforton Blue the best match to my Rega Planar 3 (price driven).

Or, the internet...

Does anybody have experience of Oforton in Linn?

I’ll be using the internal phono stage of my Majik DSM/2. So, will this be a limiting factor for a better MM cartridge?

Linn Majik DSM/2 > Linn Silver IC > Linn Majik 4100/1 > Linn K400 (2x 2:4 bi-wire) > Linn Majik 140’s with Upgraded Plinths and Linn Skeets.
Synology 716+ NAS, Rega Planar 3 (Triggers broom/upgraded) with Linn Adikt Cartridge. Sub - BK XXLS400-FF
2018-03-07, 17:14
The phono stage of the Majik DSM is great and fits the Adikt like a glove. The 2M Black is also a very good cartridge, but if you're looking to spend that kind of money, I would contemplate selling the Rega and buying a Linn Axis in good shape. Try to find one with an Akito arm (with good bearings!).
An idea might also be to find a Linn K9 for your Rega and fit an AT95E stylus or preferably a Paratrace AT95 stylus.

My system: LP12/Keel/Radikal/Urika/Ekos 2/Akiva/Akurate DSM Katalyst/ Kudos /2 x Majik 6100-D/Akubarik (externally active). Cisco WS-C2960-8TC-L/ QNAP 219P II / Grado PS500e.
2018-03-10, 16:25 (This post was last modified: 2018-03-10 16:26 by Wiltshireman.)
Richard,
I very much doubt that whatever you do to the Rega it will ever outplay your Majik DS, that will walk all over most turntables. Personally I wouldn't waste any money on it and move on. If money is the issue then wait til it isn't, you will not regret the wait.

Majik DS, Inneos CD ripper, Simon Price Oak LP12, Black Ittok, Lingo3, Circus, Tranquility, Dynavector 20X2L, Lehman black signature phono, Exotik pre amp, x4 LK100 power amps, Keltic Aktiv speakers, Ikea rack, Cadenzas on phono, Cadenzas and Linn silvers connect the 6 amps, Chord Odyssey II.
2018-03-11, 23:25
Well folks, a visit to my dealer yesterday has resulted in a Linn Adikt/2 sat on my old Rega.

I’ve still got a few tweaks to do as I’m sure the Anti Skate/Bias is out. Google says it is notoriously inaccurate in my RB300... However, as of now, I have no reliable way of checking this. Though, there is no particularly audible Sibilance. So, I’m probably being a bit neurotic about it... I’ll get a test LP at some point.

Anyway, back to the music. Smile I know it’s no LP12 but I’m very happy with my little bit of Linn as a vinyl upgrade. It’s the best sound I’ve ever heard from my vinyl. Though, disk quality certainly plays a big part. Diana Krall - The Look of Love is my best disk to date and sounds very pleasant. Not quite as detailed as my Lossless Digital version. But, very musical.

However, I think that the sound is still just a little thin, but I’ve only managed about an hour of listening in between tweaking. So, the cartridge is most certainly still running in. But, if it stays so, I may experiment with the tracking weight later. I’m showing the reccomended 1.75g on my little scales at the moment.

Overall, a big improvement. Though, I’m sure there is even more to come. Smile

2018-03-13, 22:06
(2018-03-11 23:25)Rich9600 Wrote:  Well folks, a visit to my dealer yesterday has resulted in a Linn Adikt/2 sat on my old Rega.

I’ve still got a few tweaks to do as I’m sure the Anti Skate/Bias is out. Google says it is notoriously inaccurate in my RB300... However, as of now, I have no reliable way of checking this. Though, there is no particularly audible Sibilance. So, I’m probably being a bit neurotic about it... I’ll get a test LP at some point.

Anyway, back to the music. Smile I know it’s no LP12 but I’m very happy with my little bit of Linn as a vinyl upgrade. It’s the best sound I’ve ever heard from my vinyl. Though, disk quality certainly plays a big part. Diana Krall - The Look of Love is my best disk to date and sounds very pleasant. Not quite as detailed as my Lossless Digital version. But, very musical.

However, I think that the sound is still just a little thin, but I’ve only managed about an hour of listening in between tweaking. So, the cartridge is most certainly still running in. But, if it stays so, I may experiment with the tracking weight later. I’m showing the reccomended 1.75g on my little scales at the moment.

Overall, a big improvement. Though, I’m sure there is even more to come. Smile
In my experience most Adikts are a bit more musical at 1.7g rather than 1.75. In general the Rega anti-skating is pretty much accurate.

LP12SE Movingui • KRadikal • Kandid • Urika • Kremlin • LS-NAS • KRDS • Lejonklou Sagatun Monos & Tundra Mono 2As • JBL 3677s & 4645C Sub • NOKTable • Harmoni Mimer/Tor Racks
AV: Pioneer BDP51 BluRay • Akurate Kontrol • 2 LK280 SPARK • 4 Isobarik DMS • 2 DQ1W

www.nokturneaudio.com

Fine-tuning LP12s since 1978!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2018-03-17, 16:52
Well, I figured out my problems.

I bought a bulls eye level and the HiFi News test LP. This showed my anti skate was way out!

In rewriting my tone arm I had inadvertently introduced a twist to the wire that was turning the arm out. So, rotating the base plug and re-securing sorted this.

So, having re-setup my player it sounds fantastic. I think my cartridge body had also been fouling my stylus balance out from the weighing point, and giving a falsely high reading. So, I was running too low downforce, and so making the anti-skate issue even worse.

As set up now, I’ve never heard my vinyl anywhere near as good! It’s no LP12, but for my present count of 41 LP’s it’s more than adequate (until my collection grows)...

So, to protect my new stylus I’ve bought a Disco Antistat and cleaned my old boot-sale vinyl. I’m presently listening to a £1 boot sale copy of Johnny Cash at San Quentin, it sounds fantastic! Atmospheric, lively and engaging!

So, vinyl is fully back on my radar!