Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-06-23, 11:18 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / Anti-skating guide

Anti-skating guide
2018-03-05, 12:03
Anti-skating guide
Here's a guide to setting up anti-skating which I found useful.

https://www.sound-smith.com/faq/how-do-i...-cartridge

Fluted Lp12 Valhalla, Cirkus, Michell Techno A, Goldring 2100, Elliot Sounds Phono pre, Marantz cd6006, Moth Passive pre-amp, 3 x LK100. Active Kabers, (Scanspeak D2008 tweeters). DIY Ikea coffee table rack.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-03-07, 09:29
RE: Anti-skating guide
(2018-03-05 12:03)john and Jake the dog Wrote:  Here's a guide to setting up anti-skating which I found useful.

..looks like a lengthy technical desrcription. I can't see any reference to the effect on SQ in getting the bias incorrect. In my system, when bias is 'right' the deck reproduces music with a greater degree of lyricism. It's less 'coloured', 'boxy' and 'edgy' sounding. The difference between 'right' and 'wrong' is not all subtle and very easliy heard.

'84 fluted-Afro LP 12, Ekos, Keel, Lingo 1, Dynavector xx2, Naim 82 with Supercap, Naim Headline with HiCap, Sennheiser 650 'phones', Naim 180, Linn Tukans, Naim CD 3.
2018-03-08, 13:43
(2018-03-07 09:29)dektop12 Wrote:  
(2018-03-05 12:03)john and Jake the dog Wrote:  Here's a guide to setting up anti-skating which I found useful.

..looks like a lengthy technical desrcription. I can't see any reference to the effect on SQ in getting the bias incorrect. In my system, when bias is 'right' the deck reproduces music with a greater degree of lyricism. It's less 'coloured', 'boxy' and 'edgy' sounding. The difference between 'right' and 'wrong' is not all subtle and very easliy heard.

Ditto that
2018-03-20, 20:35 (This post was last modified: 2018-03-20 20:38 by john and Jake the dog.)
(2018-03-08 13:43)smokestack Wrote:  
(2018-03-07 09:29)dektop12 Wrote:  

Ditto that
I found it useful in using his method to set the bias using space between the run out groove. If you didn't find it useful could you share your method as it's a tricky thing to get right IMO.

Fluted Lp12 Valhalla, Cirkus, Michell Techno A, Goldring 2100, Elliot Sounds Phono pre, Marantz cd6006, Moth Passive pre-amp, 3 x LK100. Active Kabers, (Scanspeak D2008 tweeters). DIY Ikea coffee table rack.
2018-03-20, 22:33
(2018-03-20 20:35)john and Jake the dog Wrote:  could you share your method as it's a tricky thing to get right IMO.

Indeed it is as the forces vary with the amplitude of the groove modulation, hence the anti skate force is merely an approximation.

For those interested; I set the anti skate on my Ekos 2 via a test record (or two) which allow you to adjust the bias setting with a 300Hz tone recorded at different amplitudes, whereby you adjust to get an even signal between channels with minimum distortion.

Some people also/alternatively use a blank record with no grooves and watch to ensure their tonearm stays put rather than drift in or out.

I never used that test as I had no blank records laying around and never felt the need to search for one.

A while back, I received the latest Diana Krall album and although I realized it was a double album, I did not pay attention to the fine print that clearly stated that on disc 2, side A has three songs and side B is completely blank. When I realized I was now in possession of a record with no grooves, I had to give it a go and much to my delight, the test record had correctly adjusted my anti skate and my tone arm stayed put.

These methods get you "in the ball park". Each is a tool in your toolbox.

Ultimately, fine adjustment is by ear, and when the music extracts an emotional response from me (gets my toe a tappin), then I figure I've got things set up correctly and I'm happy as a clam.

So, if you like Diana Krall and have a desire for a blank record side, my brothers and sisters, you are in luck. Big Grin

This album harkens back to her earlier releases and is best listened to at 3:00 am with some hot chocolate or other suitable mellow beverage of your choice. Tongue

Original 1978 Fluted Afromosia LP12, Ekos 2, Lyra Kleos SL and lots of other stuff from the 70's that still work fine.
2018-03-20, 22:38
(2018-03-20 22:33)LD100 Wrote:  
(2018-03-20 20:35)john and Jake the dog Wrote:  could you share your method as it's a tricky thing to get right IMO.

Indeed it is as the forces vary with the amplitude of the groove modulation, hence the anti skate force is merely an approximation.

For those interested; I set the anti skate on my Ekos 2 via a test record (or two) which allow you to adjust the bias setting with a 300Hz tone recorded at different amplitudes, whereby you adjust to get an even signal between channels with minimum distortion.

Some people also/alternatively use a blank record with no grooves and watch to ensure their tonearm stays put rather than drift in or out.

I never used that test as I had no blank records laying around and never felt the need to search for one.

A while back, I received the latest Diana Krall album and although I realized it was a double album, I did not pay attention to the fine print that clearly stated that on disc 2, side A has three songs and side B is completely blank. When I realized I was now in possession of a record with no grooves, I had to give it a go and much to my delight, the test record had correctly adjusted my anti skate and my tone arm stayed put.

These methods get you "in the ball park". Each is a tool in your toolbox.

Ultimately, fine adjustment is by ear, and when the music extracts an emotional response from me (gets my toe a tappin), then I figure I've got things set up correctly and I'm happy as a clam.

So, if you like Diana Krall and have a desire for a blank record side, my brothers and sisters, you are in luck. Big Grin

This album harkens back to her earlier releases and is best listened to at 3:00 am with some hot chocolate or other suitable mellow beverage of your choice. Tongue

Isn't the space between the run out grooves blank?

2018-03-20, 22:42
(2018-03-20 22:38)john and Jake the dog Wrote:  Isn't the space between the run out grooves blank?

Yes, but I am old and decrepit so an entire blank side is easier for me to navigate. Big Grin

Original 1978 Fluted Afromosia LP12, Ekos 2, Lyra Kleos SL and lots of other stuff from the 70's that still work fine.
2018-03-21, 08:55
(2018-03-20 22:33)LD100 Wrote:  ...These methods get you "in the ball park". Each is a tool in your toolbox.

That about sums it up .Big Grin
2018-03-21, 10:33
[/quote]
I found it useful in using his method to set the bias using space between the run out groove. If you didn't find it useful could you share your method as it's a tricky thing to get right IMO.
[/quote]

...the space between the run-out groove doesn't contain any music so setting bias here cannot achieve anything. The test needs to be representative of playback conditions. My method is to set the bias about 10 percent higher than the tracking value, and then alter it slightly (upwards) until I can hear that it's right. When it's spot-on the music is
more lyrical, less edgy and boxy. The deck sounds 'prettier' if you like. Every aspect is better timing, dynamics, stereo focus ...the lot. If that cannot be heard in a given installation then it suggests there is room for improvement.

'84 fluted-Afro LP 12, Ekos, Keel, Lingo 1, Dynavector xx2, Naim 82 with Supercap, Naim Headline with HiCap, Sennheiser 650 'phones', Naim 180, Linn Tukans, Naim CD 3.