Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-06-18, 06:56 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / Linn tonearm connector

Linn tonearm connector
2018-03-07, 09:13 (This post was last modified: 2018-03-07 09:14 by k_numigl.)
Linn tonearm connector
Does anybody know whether the actual Linn tonearm connector is available as a spare part?

Its vertical extension is particularly small, so it would be nice to use exactly this model when trying different cables with the LP12.

BR, Klaus
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-03-07, 19:00
RE: Linn tonearm connector
(2018-03-07 09:13)k_numigl Wrote:  Does anybody know whether the actual Linn tonearm connector is available as a spare part?

Its vertical extension is particularly small, so it would be nice to use exactly this model when trying different cables with the LP12.

BR, Klaus

Not sure if Linn supply it as a spare part but right angle connectors are available from Cardas and 1877phono which are compatible.
2018-03-07, 19:56
(2018-03-07 19:00)TPA Wrote:  Not sure if Linn supply it as a spare part but right angle connectors are available from Cardas and 1877phono which are compatible.

Any opinions as to the quality (mechanical and sound) of either the Cardas or the 1877 phono options? Is one better than the other? I one more robust than the other? Is one easier to work with than the other?

Just curious.
2018-03-08, 09:12
Thanks for info!

There is also a version by van den Hul and by SME.
Most of them are larger than the Linn type, which is just 25 or 26 mm in the vertical (vdH is 32 mm).
In my view, the 1877phono lacks a cable clamp what might be unimportant with non suspended record players but important when used in the LP12.
2018-03-08, 15:19
(2018-03-07 19:56)Record Playing Giraffe Wrote:  
(2018-03-07 19:00)TPA Wrote:  Not sure if Linn supply it as a spare part but right angle connectors are available from Cardas and 1877phono which are compatible.

Any opinions as to the quality (mechanical and sound) of either the Cardas or the 1877 phono options? Is one better than the other? I one more robust than the other? Is one easier to work with than the other?

Just curious.

I doubt there's much difference (in fact it looks like the actually plug piece is the same) but what does make a difference is making sure the body is secured properly with the set screw.
2018-03-08, 15:27
(2018-03-08 09:12)k_numigl Wrote:  Thanks for info!

There is also a version by van den Hul and by SME.
Most of them are larger than the Linn type, which is just 25 or 26 mm in the vertical (vdH is 32 mm).
In my view, the 1877phono lacks a cable clamp what might be unimportant with non suspended record players but important when used in the LP12.

Hi Klaus,

The Linn is just a fraction under 24mm. BTW the plug end diameter where you plug it in is just slightly larger than the VDH or SME! For example a standard SME will easily fit into the base of a Roksan Nima arm, but if you try the Linn plug it will not . (Without some adjustment!)

If you'd like further help with these plugs, just PM me.

KR

Peter

Fettling LP12s since 1980 and member here since 2008
Tel 0333 200 4475
Email - peter@cymbiosis.com
Skype - peteratcymbiosis
Facebook - www.facebook.com/Cymbiosisaudio/
www.cymbiosis.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2018-03-08, 23:25
(2018-03-07 09:13)k_numigl Wrote:  Does anybody know whether the actual Linn tonearm connector is available as a spare part?

BR, Klaus

Are you talking about the 5-pin DIN plug?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Linn-Tonearm-...SwEtFanoKM

I'm not in any way related to the seller, btw. Hope this is of use.