Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-06-18, 06:52 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / Do I need pre-amp with a Majik DSM and LP12

Do I need pre-amp with a Majik DSM and LP12
2018-03-11, 21:29 (This post was last modified: 2018-03-11 21:36 by vetteman.)
Do I need pre-amp with a Majik DSM and LP12
Hi,

I purchased an LP12 and I cant get it to work with my Majik DSM or any other AMP. Dealers says I need a pre-amp - is this true?

All is get is a low frequency buzzing sound.

Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-03-11, 22:18
RE: Do I need pre-amp with a Majik DSM and LP12
Hi Vetteman,

and welcome to the forum.
What cartridge does your new LP12 have ? When this is a MM-pickup, the Majik DSM should be able to handle it, there is a built in phono stage in analogue input 4, also labeled as PH.
With a MC-cardridge, you will indeed be in need of a preamp.

Regards

Ecki
2018-03-11, 22:32 (This post was last modified: 2018-03-11 22:36 by Tin.)
You can have the phono pre inside the MDSM replaced by another one that can do MC as well, so you don't need an external box.

If your LP12 has MM, you, or your dealer, can reconfigure the pre amp that is inside your MDSM by opening the box and turning it around.
2018-03-11, 22:35
You need a new dealer .... !

Akurate Sondek LP12 (+Radikal) - Akurate EDSM - Akudorik Exakt
2018-03-11, 22:56
(2018-03-11 22:35)Stu22 Wrote:  You need a new dealer .... !

Obviously, yes Big Grin
2018-03-12, 04:52
Hi,

Thank you - I have a Linn Adikt Needle which appears to be a MM. I have tried hooking up to input 4 of my Majik and all you hear is barely audible sound. I also tried hooking the LP direct to a Sonos AMP and same problem.

I was having this issue for awhile and the authorized Linn dealer replaced the Tonearm cable but still no luck. Very odd.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
2018-03-12, 05:47 (This post was last modified: 2018-03-12 06:47 by mrco99.)
Hi Vetteman,

Sorry to hear this - but welcome to the forum Smile
When bought at an official Linn dealer, then they should sort the issue out until you have an enjoyable playing system.

Did you buy the MDSM and LP12 there too?

To answer your question; Yes, you do need a MM phonostage which should be standard fitted inside your MDSM, unless it has been taken out.
Naturally, a separate MM phonostage would work as well but should normally not be required.

A Sonos AMP does not have a phonostage so that won't work. The phonostage inside your MDSM can either be set to MM or line level. When at line level, it likely sounds the same as through your Sonos. However, I can't believe your Linn dealer hasn't already checked this - it really is a 5 minutes job. Did you notify him the tonearm cable replacement didn't solve your problem?

Happy to hear how you get on,

Marco

LP12/Keel/Ekos/Adikt - KDS3 - Oppo UDP-205 - Lejonklou Slipsik 6.1 MM phono stage - Satagun Mono 1.4 Preamps - Tundra Mono 2.2 Poweramps - Klangedang T1 Speakers - Rel Stampede subwoofer

Lejonklou • Klangedang • Graham Audio • NOKTable Turntable stand • Oppo & Quadraspire supplier

www.hexagonaudio.eu
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2018-03-12, 06:46
You can check if the line/phono module has been installed correctly using Konfig, in the About tab, under Model information. If it says Moving Magnet there, you know that it has been setup correctly.