Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-06-18, 06:59 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / Urika II, Klimax Radikal, top plate and platter!

Urika II, Klimax Radikal, top plate and platter!
2018-03-13, 11:59 (This post was last modified: 2018-03-13 12:00 by mickc.)
Urika II, Klimax Radikal, top plate and platter!
So, about ten years’ worth of toy fund spent in a month!

Akurate Radikal (in the original biscuit tin Majik style case) to Klimax Radikal
Urika to Urika II
New top plate
New outer platter.

With these last two, the LP12 I bought back in 1980 for £340 is no more.

It’s obviously impossible to quantify how much of an improvement each upgrade brought when four different things have been changed at once, but from the dem Colin Macey gave Visoflex and me a few weeks back I’d say the UII made the most difference.

Colin gives good dem(!) and played various tracks on my LP12 when I went back to pick it up on Saturday. He also swapped in a new outer platter – the first one he tried he wasn’t happy with, but the second new one he was – and I could hear a small difference between the two, although whether it was ‘better’ or simply ‘different’, I wasn’t sure, although I think Visoflex felt the new one was indeed better.
I still have the old platter so will experiment at some point soon to see which I prefer – at the moment I’m too busy enjoying the LP12 as is without messing around with it.

I hung on to my KK to be sure that I’d prefer the sound of the LP12 through just the DS rather than having the pre in the circuit too. Sad to say I prefer the KK out, which is why I waved goodbye to it yesterday. That was a hard decision as it’s by far the best preamp I’ve ever heard, but ‘if it sounds better, it *is* better’ rules, so off it went. Hope it’s happy in its new home!

Many thanks to Colin Macey at What You See and Hear for the help he’s given – I always know my LP12 is in safe hands with him, and that he’ll always set up every deck to the best of his formidable abilities.

…oh, and the coffee’s good there too!

Mick

Klimax LP12 * KDS/3 * Solos/1/D * Akubarik/P
MDSM/3 * Majik 109
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-03-14, 00:13 (This post was last modified: 2018-03-14 15:00 by amcneil.)
RE: Urika II, Klimax Radikal, top plate and platter!
Congrats!! The new top plate and platter are nice changes to bring you to today’s LP12. The corner bolt from the new top plate in the newer LP12’s (like 10-15 years?) does make a difference. The 40-60 CNM torque can certianly be heard. I purchased a torque wrench to get this right when I do setups.

But the Klimax Radikal is definitely a step up. Musically tightens things up for sure. But...the best part is like you said the Urika II. As I’m sure you have been reading on the forums it’s a wonderful improvement. You’ll discover nuances and clarity from your collection on each record. Enjoy!
2018-03-14, 02:48
RE: Urika II, Klimax Radikal, top plate and platter!
Enjoy!