Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-04-26, 16:07 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / Stained plinth

Stained plinth
2018-03-23, 03:11
Stained plinth
I decided to clean my fluted plinth with lemon oil as recommended on here in the past. I applied some sparingly to a dry cloth and wiped it around the plinth, initially it cleaned it up a treat however I now have some horrible dark blotches in three places - it looks like the oil has been soaked up in a couple of places where possibly the original wood lacquer has worn slightly allowing the oil to penetrate the wood grain.

I wish I’d never bothered now to be honest as it looks terrible - I was hoping it would dry out but it’s been a week and no different - any ideas?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-03-23, 07:12
RE: Stained plinth
A friend went down this road. He took the deck to a furniture restorer who told him the only way for him to save the deck was to take out the innards immediately and let him get to work on the plinth. Time is your enemy here sadly. In the end the restoration process necessitated sanding the plinth right down to bare wood and re-lacquering. It did come back looking superb though.
2018-03-23, 09:02 (This post was last modified: 2018-03-23 09:17 by smokestack.)
RE: Stained plinth
You're right about the problem Lotus.

Lemon or other oil finishes should not be used on lacquered or varnished wood....especillay of the olf finish is weathered or patchy.

I think some of the confusion comes about because the old Afromosia plinths were often perceived as having an oiled finish like much popular Teak furniture of the time.

Afromosia, whilst looking a lot like teak and often being used as a substitute, is not an oily wood like Teak and is normally finished with a varnish rather than oil.

[The oily nature of real Teak prevents the use of lacquers, which won't stick properly to it, and is what lends it to marine applications]

If the patches remain after you've stripped the plinth back as far as you safely can, it will probably be best to apply a clear or lightly tinted oil type finish rather than a poly or varnish. The finish should then even out over time with repeated light applications .

Good luck with it Wink