Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-04-27, 01:36 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / (When) can we expect a Uphorik II?

(When) can we expect a Uphorik II?
2018-03-25, 10:59 (This post was last modified: 2018-03-25 14:41 by Catweazle.)
(When) can we expect a Uphorik II?
I understand the Uphorik internally carries a lot of the Urika design and components. Thus, it is tempting to speculate, that a Uphorik II should be possible, carrying the digital preamp into Akurate range. This could match Lingo 4, keeping a distance to the Urika II (longer cable with small signal).

While the market might be smaller, than that for an analog Uphorik, it might also help to win over new customers to the Linn DS technology. Moreover, it would be attractive to guys like myself, who own a DSM, still use a Linto, and won't rich out to Radikal & Urika II.
What do you think?

CW
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-03-25, 18:12
RE: (When) can we expect a Uphorik II?
(2018-03-25 10:59)Catweazle Wrote:  I understand the Uphorik internally carries a lot of the Urika design and components. Thus, it is tempting to speculate, that a Uphorik II should be possible, carrying the digital preamp into Akurate range. This could match Lingo 4, keeping a distance to the Urika II (longer cable with small signal).

While the market might be smaller, than that for an analog Uphorik, it might also help to win over new customers to the Linn DS technology. Moreover, it would be attractive to guys like myself, who own a DSM, still use a Linto, and won't rich out to Radikal & Urika II.
What do you think?

CW
Might be an interesting product. Although I'm quite happy with the phonosection in the EADSM for the moment...

LP12 Lingo 3 Kore Ittok Adikt, AEDSM --> Majik Exaktbox I --> Majik 140
2018-03-25, 19:51
There will always be people that want to keep analogue signals in the analogue domain with no digital conversion. The only time digitising signals makes sense is if you want to manipulate them. This can be done far better in the digital domain.
2018-03-25, 21:50
CW
[/quote]
Might be an interesting product. Although I'm quite happy with the phonosection in the EADSM for the moment...
[/quote]

I'm running a very similar system to yourself - but have replaced the Adikt with a Soundsmith Asaka. I'm also quite happy with the AEDSM phono stage but I have considered a Uphorik to replace the internal Phono.

I did run my Lejonklou Gaio into the AEDSM when I had the Adikt in the Ekos 2. If you intend to stick with an Adikt then I would definitely consider this - to my ears the Lejoklou PS are at least as good as the match from the Uphorik for an Adikt. MC is obviously a different matter.

Primary: LP12, Dino/Dino+, KRDS/1, Akurate Tuner, USC, Sony BRP, Kinos, 3 x 5125, K400, Espeks, Ekwal, Katans, 2 x Sizmik 10.5, Stax 507. Stands Unique Supports
Secondary: LP12, ADSM (Exakt), Majik Exaktbox(i), K400, Keilidhs, Stands Unique Support
Tertiary: Raumfeld Connector, Classik, Kan IVs
2018-03-26, 10:44 (This post was last modified: 2018-03-26 10:45 by smokestack.)
As a Luddite still using an old entirely analogue system, this stuff fills me with an irrational dread.

Regardless of how good digital gets, I still have an emotional barrier that gets in the way as soon as a signal is digitised.

These days it's so good that I probably wouldn't even know....but if I do know , it still bothers me.

Is there any treatment for my condition ? Big Grin
2018-03-26, 13:53
(2018-03-26 10:44)smokestack Wrote:  Is there any treatment for my condition ? :D

The only known treatment is daily exposure to Klimax Katalyst.

1) Sonus Faber Amati Futura; Klimax Katalyst DSM; D’Agostino Momentum S250; Rega RP10 w/Aphelion & Linn Uphorik; Shunyata Denali, ICs, SCs & PCs
2) Luxman SQ-N100, PSB Imagine Mini, AR XA (refurbished), Klimax DSM Renew, Shunyata PS8, Nordost ICs & PCs, Acoustic Zen SCs
2018-03-26, 14:48
(2018-03-26 13:53)Antonmb Wrote:  
(2018-03-26 10:44)smokestack Wrote:  Is there any treatment for my condition ? Big Grin

The only known treatment is daily exposure to Klimax Katalyst.

Yes,

But that's not yet available via the National Health Service Sad
2018-03-26, 18:33 (This post was last modified: 2018-03-26 19:30 by Glyn Ruck.)
(2018-03-26 10:44)smokestack Wrote:  As a Luddite still using an old entirely analogue system, this stuff fills me with an irrational dread.

Regardless of how good digital gets, I still have an emotional barrier that gets in the way as soon as a signal is digitised.

These days it's so good that I probably wouldn't even know....but if I do know , it still bothers me.

Is there any treatment for my condition ? Big Grin

The condition is real. Some are still sensitive to switching noise which causes listener fatigue. The higher the frequency the less invasive.

Analogue is still beguiling.

For me getting closest to the original master tape or what I hear live is what matters. Having been exposed to such testing tells me that DSD does this best (master tape) but still can't match.

The odd very well recorded & mastered LP still licks all IMHO.
2018-03-26, 21:29
(2018-03-25 10:59)Catweazle Wrote:  I understand the Uphorik internally carries a lot of the Urika design and components. Thus, it is tempting to speculate, that a Uphorik II should be possible, carrying the digital preamp into Akurate range. This could match Lingo 4, keeping a distance to the Urika II (longer cable with small signal).

What do you think?

CW

Well, I am finding myself almost in the same situation since I am preferring good old Linto over the internal phono stage of my ADSM. An Uphorik II might well be an interesting product once having updated ADSM to ADSM Katalyst with Exact technology. However, I would like to understand a bit better the benefits of performing RIAA equalization in the digital domain before considering any further. I mean it sounds somewhat awkward to convert the analogue signal into digital for equalization purposes only and to convert it back to analogue in the ADSM to drive non Linn speakers.

Linn Akurate DSM Mk1, Linn LP12-S/N89xxx Afromosia plinth - Kore/Cirkus - Ittok LVII - Koetsu Black - Lingo4 - Linto, Akurate 4200 bi-amped into Harbeth SHL5plus with Tonträger Audio reference stands
2018-03-26, 22:00 (This post was last modified: 2018-03-26 22:03 by Catweazle.)
(2018-03-26 21:29)BerndS Wrote:  I mean it sounds somewhat awkward to convert the analogue signal into digital for equalization purposes only and to convert it back to analogue in the ADSM to drive non Linn speakers.

Converting the digital signal back to analog is not limited to non Linn speakers. Katalyst is an upgrade (replacement) of the DAC in your DS(M), Exaktbox, or Exakt speaker.

The benefit of digital filters is precision (digital calculations introduce small rounding errors, but there are no random differences caused by the individual variability of the analog components), and you can alter the signal's frequency without introducing phase shift. If these benefits outweigh the signal deterioration by the AD/DA conversion, it does indeed make sense to go for it.