Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-07-17, 01:01 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / Aluminum baseboard compared to Trampolin 1

Aluminum baseboard compared to Trampolin 1
2018-03-26, 20:15
Aluminum baseboard compared to Trampolin 1
Hello there, I am a regular Hi-fi tinkerer, like many here, I guess.

I recently bought a used Majik baseboard, thinking that I might get some audible benefits compared to my Trampolin 1. Not so, I am afraid. A swap back to the Tramp proved that to me beyond doubt. I am a bit surprised, as the Tramp1 does not have a good reputation, seemingly. My LP12 Is sitting on a wall mounted shelf made of aluminum sandwiched to hardwood.

As I started my online forum investigation on this theme, looking for opinions and such, I found that it is often being said that the feet of the Trampolin should not be adjusted, even if that’s what they are made for.

Can someone explain why leveling the plinth by extending the feet would be bad for the sound, please? It does not make sense to me, and I can’t hear any Differences either.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-03-27, 05:07
RE: Aluminum baseboard compared to Trampolin 1
I think the opposite to be the case. It is very important the the turntable be absolutely level. Adjusting the feet to achieve this will improve sound quality tremendously. It has proven to be the difference between not caring to listen to music and wanting to stay up most of the night listening.

I always level my Audiotech stand first, then level the LP12 by adjusting the feet down. Start with all feet in the fully retracted position, and go from there.

LP12 (S/N 14xxx), Black ash plinth, Cirkus, Radikal, Kore, Ittok LVIII Mark 2, Krystal, Audiotech stand, Urika II, 530 system
2018-03-27, 08:35 (This post was last modified: 2018-03-28 01:02 by allthingsanalogue.)
I would rather adjust the shelf than the trampolin feet, still achieving a level deck but without loosening the feet on the trampolin.

I'm sure Peter will chime in but following his advice here.
2018-03-27, 08:45 (This post was last modified: 2018-03-27 08:46 by Warren.)
I found the Trampolin reproduced a much more natural approach to timing.

http://www.neilmcbride.co.uk/trampolin.html

https://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.php?tid=109

Cymbiosis Klimax LP12 SE - Karmen Kandid, Radikal/1M KDS/1 KK/1 Solos/1 K200 242/1
Kisto, AV 2250/d, Komponent 104
2018-03-27, 11:54
The feet on the trampolinn are compliantly mounted, and the mounting deflects when weight is placed upon it, and to a lesser extent when vibrations are present. Having the feet at different heights causes differing degrees of deflection in different feet.

I've seen Peter demonstrate this by unscrewing one foot and standing on the Tramp - the different deflections are easy to see.

Definitely use the wall mount to level the deck, and keep the Tramp feet screwed in all the way.

I use a Fraimlite, and have put three cross-head screws in the floor to allow easy leveling and allowing all the base level spikes to be fully screwed home too.

If the LP12 leveling requires tweaking use either paper (post it notes for example) or self-adhesive labels stuck back to back until the right height is achieved.

KR

J
2018-03-27, 12:39
(2018-03-27 05:07)akamatsu Wrote:  I think the opposite to be the case. It is very important the the turntable be absolutely level. Adjusting the feet to achieve this will improve sound quality tremendously. It has proven to be the difference between not caring to listen to music and wanting to stay up most of the night listening.

I always level my Audiotech stand first, then level the LP12 by adjusting the feet down. Start with all feet in the fully retracted position, and go from there.
...ah, but which Audiotech stand? Wall frame or table??

'84 fluted-Afro LP 12, Ekos, Keel, Lingo 1, Dynavector xx2, Naim 82 with Supercap, Naim Headline with HiCap, Sennheiser 650 'phones', Naim 180, Linn Tukans, Naim CD 3.
2018-03-27, 13:41
I have always found mine sounds better with the baseboard removed.
2018-03-27, 17:20
(2018-03-27 12:39)dektop12 Wrote:  
(2018-03-27 05:07)akamatsu Wrote:  I think the opposite to be the case. It is very important the the turntable be absolutely level. Adjusting the feet to achieve this will improve sound quality tremendously. It has proven to be the difference between not caring to listen to music and wanting to stay up most of the night listening.

...ah, but which Audiotech stand? Wall frame or table??

Mine is a table that sits on the floor.

LP12 (S/N 14xxx), Black ash plinth, Cirkus, Radikal, Kore, Ittok LVIII Mark 2, Krystal, Audiotech stand, Urika II, 530 system
2018-03-27, 19:05

Yes, I have really noticed that the LP12 absolutely has to sit level. I was wondering about why it is that others users say not to adjust by extending the feet of the Trampolin.
I am glad to see that clearly others are using the feet adjustment to great success!
2018-03-27, 19:11 (This post was last modified: 2018-03-27 19:21 by ErikZ.)
(2018-03-27 08:35)allthingsanalogue Wrote:  I would rather level the shelf than the trampolin feet, still achieving a level deck but loosening the feet on the trampolin.

I'm sure Peter will chime in but following his advice here.
I would follow this advice if I could! As it is the somewhat awkward multi level shelf will not allow for adjustments without redrilling 25 holes in the concrete wall Tongue

Good thing that using the feet of the Tramp for leveling purposes does not seem to hurt much of anything.

(2018-03-27 08:45)Warren Wrote:  I found the Trampolin reproduced a much more natural approach to timing.

http://www.neilmcbride.co.uk/trampolin.html

https://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.php?tid=109
Thank you very much for this, reflects my experiences perfectly. Spot on!

(2018-03-27 11:54)JDEC Wrote:  The feet on the trampolinn are compliantly mounted, and the mounting deflects when weight is placed upon it, and to a lesser extent when vibrations are present. Having the feet at different heights causes differing degrees of deflection in different feet.

I've seen Peter demonstrate this by unscrewing one foot and standing on the Tramp - the different deflections are easy to see.

Definitely use the wall mount to level the deck, and keep the Tramp feet screwed in all the way.

I use a Fraimlite, and have put three cross-head screws in the floor to allow easy leveling and allowing all the base level spikes to be fully screwed home too.

If the LP12 leveling requires tweaking use either paper (post it notes for example) or self-adhesive labels stuck back to back until the right height is achieved.

KR

J

Very interesting, thank you very much for this. So what you are saying is that the resonance frequency of the plinth changes as the membrane get unequally tense . That makes sense, possibly. Will try the post-it trick when I can find the time!