Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-07-20, 15:10 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / Regarding level

Regarding level
2018-03-27, 12:50 (This post was last modified: 2018-03-28 01:10 by LD100.)
Regarding level
Another thread brought up leveling your LP12, starting with the rack or wall mount. May I suggest that final leveling should be checked where the LP meets the diamond stylus. I check across an old LP where the diamond would transverse across the vinyl, in three places...outer groove area, middle and inner groove area.

These little level devices are priceless. Smile

[Image: image.php?album_id=45&image_id=4...w=no_count]

Photograph not to scale and for demonstrative purposes only.

Original 1978 Fluted Afromosia LP12, Ekos 2, Lyra Kleos SL and lots of other stuff from the 70's that still work fine.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-03-27, 13:05
RE: Regarding level
Interesting , but I suggest that an LP12 set up by an expert would have a perfectly level platter wrt the plinth. Hence checking side to side and front to back on the plinth is accurate.

I have done a check, as you suggest. Wherever the level is checked on the platter, checking on the plinth in the same orientation produced exactly the same result. (Thank you Peter).

I suggest that your method does one thing, that is shows irregularity in the turntable set up.

In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder, bloodshed. They produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, five hundred years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock.
2018-03-27, 13:23
(2018-03-27 12:50)LD100 Wrote:  Another thread brought up leveling your LP12, starting with the rack or wall mount. May I suggest that final leveling should be checked where the LP meets the diamond stylus. I check across an old LP where the diamond would transverse across the vinyl, in three places...outer groove area, middle and inner groove area.

That method assumes that the record is perfectly flat.

It's also possible to have the platter level but not the plinth, however that will mean extra stress on the springs - something you don't want. Hence the importance of levelling everything in the right order i.e. plinth first
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2018-03-27, 13:28
(2018-03-27 13:05)grimreaper46 Wrote:  I suggest that your method does one thing, that is shows irregularity in the turntable set up.

Yes, if the platter is not level, I would indeed call that an irregularity in the set up. Rolleyes

Original 1978 Fluted Afromosia LP12, Ekos 2, Lyra Kleos SL and lots of other stuff from the 70's that still work fine.
2018-03-27, 13:34
(2018-03-27 13:23)Mikeg Wrote:  That method assumes that the record is perfectly flat.

It's also possible to have the platter level but not the plinth, however that will mean extra stress on the springs - something you don't want. Hence the importance of levelling everything in the right order i.e. plinth first

Yes, that might be a leap of faith to find a flat record, but hopefully not impossible.

Regarding the order, that is why I stated the "final" leveling.
I suppose I should have been specific and said, first the shelf or rack, then the plinth, then the platter and let's not forget the head shell of the tonearm. Big Grin

2018-03-27, 15:57 (This post was last modified: 2018-03-27 16:02 by John G.)
I like to dynamically level the platter in the jig. Problem with the Trampolin is that the feet are squishy and take the deck out of level. I use a different baseboard arrangement which eliminates that issue.

[Image: 1r6eOU0.jpg]

LP12, Exposure amps, Tannoy Speakers, Mana & Symposium Supports
2018-03-27, 17:43
(2018-03-27 12:50)LD100 Wrote:  Another thread brought up leveling your LP12, starting with the rack or wall mount. May I suggest that final leveling should be checked where the LP meets the diamond stylus. I check across an old LP where the diamond would transverse across the vinyl, in three places...outer groove area, middle and inner groove area.

[Image: image.php?album_id=45&image_id=4...w=no_count]

.. not sure these tiny spirit levels are all that sensitive

'84 fluted-Afro LP 12, Ekos, Keel, Lingo 1, Dynavector xx2, Naim 82 with Supercap, Naim Headline with HiCap, Sennheiser 650 'phones', Naim 180, Linn Tukans, Naim CD 3.
2018-03-27, 21:37
I know this is crude, and accepting that this is a picture as an example, zooming the picture so the record is life size and holding a ruler against the screen, I measure the bubble to left line 2mm, bubble to right 1mm, so the outer edge of this record, or this platter is high.
Searching for precision, or calibrated or test levels the shortest is 200mm, so possibly these little levels do not give similar accuracy, but turning end for end should give as reasonable a check as you can get by eye. Depending on how close you look from, how square you can get your eye to the line.....
2018-03-28, 04:46
(2018-03-27 21:37)rebel player Wrote:  I measure the bubble to left line 2mm, bubble to right 1mm, so the outer edge of this record, or this platter is high.

When you adjust for the perspective distortion from the 58mm lens and the fact that the photograph was taken at about ten degrees off center from the face of the level, then you'll find the bubble dead center and perfectly level.

Levels are another required tool for your hi fi tool box. Smile

But that's just me. Wink

2018-03-28, 11:15
[/quote]
When you adjust for the perspective distortion from the 58mm lens -
presumably since your kit is from the 70's the lens referred to is a helios 44?

'84 fluted-Afro LP 12, Ekos, Keel, Lingo 1, Dynavector xx2, Naim 82 with Supercap, Naim Headline with HiCap, Sennheiser 650 'phones', Naim 180, Linn Tukans, Naim CD 3.