Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-07-20, 15:16 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / New member and new owner of a LP12

New member and new owner of a LP12
2018-03-27, 20:37
New member and new owner of a LP12
Always wanted to have one, finally got a bone stock 2003 Majik. She sounds very nice the way she is. After reading all the good things about the Radikal PS, I decided to take the plunge. My plan is to go full blown LP12 in the future. My Radikal should be here is 2 weeks and I’m very excited. What would be the right next purchase? Ekos SE or the very expensive Keel? I’m not sure if I can justify buying the Keel. Unless there’s a use one for a half decent price. Maybe I will hold off for a bit... A Stock Majik with a Radikal PS should sound very very good.. No??
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-03-27, 20:40
RE: New member and new owner of a LP12
It should sound good, and I think you might find the best plan would be to listen to your newly upgraded deck and enjoy the sound it has for a good long while before worrying about the next upgrade.
2018-03-27, 21:04 (This post was last modified: 2018-03-27 21:05 by Willie Eckerslyke.)
Yes, it will sound good. And with the Radikal, even better. If your plan is to end up with a full-house LP12, then your best plan is:

Keep the Adikt, replacing the stylus as necessary, until everything else is maxxed out.

Get the Keel next. Justifying it is easy if all you consider is musical improvement. But by all means wait for an ex-demo one from a dealer, or even second-hand. The rarity of these testifies to the musical improvement you get. Check that the Majik's Project tonearm will fit, I'm not quite sure...

Then get an Ekos SE. Again, ex-demo can be good value, but be wary of ebay and the likes for an arm with delicate bearings.

Only after these two upgrades should you consider the phono stage and cartridge. You don't say what phono stage you have currently, but unless it is seriously deficient, keep it. If you can't afford Urika and Kandid together, get the Urika with a cheap MC cartridge (DV20XL?) as an interim solution.

That is the source first sequence. You don't say what amplifiers and speakers you are using, but you will get better musicality from source upgrades (rather than amplifiers or speakers) unless there is something very poor about your current setup. So, if you follow this sequence you will know you've got the optimum for your money if you only go part way...
2018-03-27, 22:58
First off, congratulations on getting a Majik LP12, you are in for a world of wonderful music listening. Second, congratulations on getting the Radikal to go with it - definitely the best way to upgrade your LP12. It is the most musical LP12 you can get for that kind of money. I have one customer who bought a Majik LP12 and about a year later bought the Radikal - he has been so happy with it he hasn't bothered with any of the other upgrades so far. I have a few others who have purchased a Majik LP12 and upgraded to the Radikal and all have been quite impressed by the improvement.

While the Keel is the next best step in terms of its musical importance (the hierarchy) it will not work with your ProJect tonearm. This complicates things considerably as it also won't work with an Akito unless you give up the cueing device and it will work with a used Ittok but only if you don't mind drilling a hole in the Keel for the armrest (unless it is the rare Ittok LVIII mk2). So in this case you might want to upgrade to the Ekos SE/1 first (or possibly a used Ekos 2 if you can find one in good condition) and then the Keel as the funds allow. The Ekos SE/1 will still sound great with your table and subchassis (after all it is better than the subchassis we used for years with the Ekos 2) and once you get the Keel you will hear the full benefit of what it can do.

Once that is all in place you can see about replacing the Adikt if you want. But there are a few people with an LP12/Radikal/Keel/Ekos SE and an Adikt who are quite happy with it running into a Lejonklou Slipsik 6 or a Linn Uphorik. And at this point to go to a Krystal or Kandid will require a quality MC phono stage.

LP12SE Movingui • KRadikal • Kandid • Urika • Kremlin • LS-NAS • KRDS • Lejonklou Sagatun Monos & Tundra Mono 2As • JBL 3677s & 4645C Sub • NOKTable • Harmoni Mimer/Tor Racks
AV: Pioneer BDP51 BluRay • Akurate Kontrol • 2 LK280 SPARK • 4 Isobarik DMS • 2 DQ1W

www.nokturneaudio.com

Fine-tuning LP12s since 1978!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2018-03-28, 00:11
Welcome. Enjoy!
2018-03-28, 02:30
(2018-03-27 21:04)Willie Eckerslyke Wrote:  Yes, it will sound good. And with the Radikal, even better. If your plan is to end up with a full-house LP12, then your best plan is:

Keep the Adikt, replacing the stylus as necessary, until everything else is maxxed out.

Get the Keel next. Justifying it is easy if all you consider is musical improvement. But by all means wait for an ex-demo one from a dealer, or even second-hand. The rarity of these testifies to the musical improvement you get. Check that the Majik's Project tonearm will fit, I'm not quite sure...

Then get an Ekos SE. Again, ex-demo can be good value, but be wary of ebay and the likes for an arm with delicate bearings.

Only after these two upgrades should you consider the phono stage and cartridge. You don't say what phono stage you have currently, but unless it is seriously deficient, keep it. If you can't afford Urika and Kandid together, get the Urika with a cheap MC cartridge (DV20XL?) as an interim solution.

That is the source first sequence. You don't say what amplifiers and speakers you are using, but you will get better musicality from source upgrades (rather than amplifiers or speakers) unless there is something very poor about your current setup. So, if you follow this sequence you will know you've got the optimum for your money if you only go part way...

The rest of the system is pretty good. As a matter of fact, I am not planning on changing my phono stage. I currently have a Balance Audio Technology VK10PSE with Superpak with Mullard tubes. My preamp is an Audio Research LS5 MK 3, full XLR with NOS Siemens gold pins, The amp is a pair of Quicksilver V4 with KT77...I also have several other SET amps. My favourite is the Quicksilver V4, The speakers are Edgarhorns Titan 2. Sonically the system is pretty high up there. With the Majik as my front end.. I would say (without Bias) its the best sytem I've heard. I think the Radikal should bring it up a few more steps.
2018-03-28, 13:20 (This post was last modified: 2018-03-28 14:56 by Glyn Ruck.)
(2018-03-28 02:30)SpinIt Wrote:  
(2018-03-27 21:04)Willie Eckerslyke Wrote:  Yes, it will sound good. And with the Radikal, even better. If your plan is to end up with a full-house LP12, then your best plan is:

The rest of the system is pretty good. As a matter of fact, I am not planning on changing my phono stage. I currently have a Balance Audio Technology VK10PSE with Superpak with Mullard tubes. My preamp is an Audio Research LS5 MK 3, full XLR with NOS Siemens gold pins, The amp is a pair of Quicksilver V4 with KT77...I also have several other SET amps. My favourite is the Quicksilver V4, The speakers are Edgarhorns Titan 2. Sonically the system is pretty high up there. With the Majik as my front end.. I would say (without Bias) its the best sytem I've heard. I think the Radikal should bring it up a few more steps.

That set up should sound extremely good! Great gear!
2018-03-28, 17:01
(2018-03-28 02:30)SpinIt Wrote:  

Ah superb kit congrats.

You can go all the way with your LP12 source to great effect I think.

Enjoy.

Klimax LP12 (Cirkus, Tranquility, Radikal D, Keel, Urika, Khan top plate, Ekos SE, Kandid). Klimax Renew DS. KK D, Solos D. 242 mk 2 with upgraded stands. Project RCM